British Speedway Forum
BigFatDave

Farewell Newport Hornets

gutted to see not more club from Wales in the NL as i must say i did like the Dragon more but hay there we go i wonder if this will mean the end to the club training School ?

Bit of bad news from Speedway 365: - here.

Sad but no surprise to regular followers of the National League. Very surprised that Newport did not give any thought to running National and dropping Premier like Stoke did this season. Clearly the financial situation has hit Newport hard so really struggling to understand why they have dropped the more financially viable option.

Sad day for newport hornets, they have provided some great riding over the seasons, I hope all riders find a new club for the 2012 season and they all have a successful future. Well done to the newport promotion for giving young british riders a chance to ride at a competitive level

Surely if Newport sold some of there Asset they would make money for the club ?

Sad but no surprise to regular followers of the National League. Very surprised that Newport did not give any thought to running National and dropping Premier like Stoke did this season. Clearly the financial situation has hit Newport hard so really struggling to understand why they have dropped the more financially viable option.

Its a question I asked Main Man earlier in the season when I was down there and his response was that supporters just would not turn out for NL speedway.

Its something I have never understood because the quality of the racing is certainly no better and it seems to me that a choice of NL speedway or no speedway at all is a no brainer.

I don't think it is viable to run just a NL side. I would imagine it would be very poorly supported.

I find it odd that they are moaning about the crowd for the last meeting. A nothing match contested by 2 woefully understrength teams was never going to attract people.

any speedway promoter that runs two teams in this financial climate must have very deep pockets. i don't think the hornets will be the last casualty of this winter. :(

With the financal situation a lot of people including myself could only afford one meeting a week, two is just too expensive, I'm sorry I just couldn't afford it a lot of the time.

gutted to see not more club from Wales in the NL as i must say i did like the Dragon more but hay there we go i wonder if this will mean the end to the club training School ?

No Greg the training schools will continue.

I don't think it is viable to run just a NL side. I would imagine it would be very poorly supported.

That was the concern at Stoke, and I know that quite a few dropped out, but the crowds in the end were as good and often better - if its a case of NL or no speedway, for many that's a no brainer ! I have to say I have enjoyed the season - whether I'd be saying that if we had finished towards the bottom of the table (as someone has to) is another matter ! The riders have given it 100% and have been very approachable - hope to see as many as poss back next season.

any speedway promoter that runs two teams in this financial climate must have very deep pockets. i don't think the hornets will be the last casualty of this winter. :(

I think the problem is that in any other sport supporters aren't expected to come out and pay for what is essentially a youth/reserve team. Can you imagine a football team binning it's reserve side because they only got 50 people in to watch it?

Great for the hardcore fans if they want to watch a second side, but the majority are just interested in watching the best that's on offer.

I am sure Newport must have discussed going NL, sometimes dropping down works,sometimes it doesnt, Mildenhall have struggled,IOW have struggled but seem to have steadied the ship, Stoke 1st season seems to have been a success, Supporters would always choose NL over No speedway at all,but it needs to be viable, and i suppose it all depends on the costs of rental at Queensway Meadows, maybe this could be re-negotiated.

Alternative income streams need to be investigated, and Stock Cars have already been mentioned, two others could be Stunt events such as Eddie Kidd in my day,maybe 2/3 per year, when we held them at Cradley, as Main Man knows the support for these were FANTASTIC, ques outside stretched 100,s of yards/metres, also a very good money spinner are Sunday Markets, LSD,s Bescot Market is a very good money spinner for Walsall FC, and there are operators out there who will run them for Newport Speedway. :wink: Possibly Car Auctions.

Whatever, may i wish Newport Speedway all the best in there endeavors to keep Speedway alive in Wales.

With the financal situation a lot of people including myself could only afford one meeting a week, two is just too expensive, I'm sorry I just couldn't afford it a lot of the time.

I think these two sum it up. Running a NL team will not attract any new supporters, unless you have a clever marketing ploy (like calling your team Dudley), therefore you are totally reliant on your core supporters going to two meetings a week, a habit that clearly could get very expensive.

The worst case scenario is if your supporters choose to only attend NL meetings, rather than the main team, which by the sounds of it Newport may also have suffered with.

I think these two sum it up. Running a NL team will not attract any new supporters, unless you have a clever marketing ploy (like calling your team Dudley), therefore you are totally reliant on your core supporters going to two meetings a week, a habit that clearly could get very expensive.

The worst case scenario is if your supporters choose to only attend NL meetings, rather than the main team, which by the sounds of it Newport may also have suffered with.

Matt K ,,,they called the team Dudley as it was in reality the old Cradley Heathens --with their superb support base coming out in large numbers on a Tuesday night after many years without speedway.....so not actually a clever marketing ploy as such.