British Speedway Forum
TonyMac

New Rayleigh Rockets Dvd

Retro Speedway has produced the first in a new series of DVDs on defunct tracks...

RAYLEIGH ROCKETS 1968-73

ON DOUBLE-DISC DVD FOR JUST £12

Three hours and 40 minutes of pure nostalgia, featuring:

New filmed in-depth interviews with former Rockets favourites Dingle Brown, Terry Stone, Graeme Smith, Tiger Beech and manager Peter Thorogood. Also brief interviews with Laurie Etheridge, Alan Jackson and Pete Wigley.

*Full colour cine-converted racing footage from the following meetings: Ray v Crayford (H & A in 1968); Ray v Canterbury (1968, 1970 & 1972); Ray v Eastbourne (1971); Canterbury v Ray (1972); Ray v Ellesmere Port (1972); Ray v Hull (1972); Rye House v Ray (1972); Eastbourne v Ray (1972), plus clips from Ray team practice at Hackney in 1973; and Estuary Eagles v Ray cycle speedway.

*Apart from the interviewees, the above includes action footage of Allan Emmett, Geoff Maloney, Hugh Saunders, Bob Young, Nigel Rackett, Brian Foote, Trevor Barnwell, Les Ott, Peter Claridge, Ivan Miller, Dennis Mannion.

*Many previously unpublished still photo images and a feast of Rayleigh memorabilia.

If you were a fan of Rayleigh Rockets, a regular visitor to the defunct Essex track or simply a speedway supporter keen to find out all there is to know about one of our much-missed defunct venues, this 3hr 40 mins DVD will entertain and evoke fond memories to treasure forever.

Relive a golden era of two-valve engines, monkey masks, open-face helmets, Cortinas and Zephyrs, and those Magnificent Men In Their Flying Machines!

Rayleigh supporter David Jones bought this DVD from us and says: “I have viewed the Rayleigh Rockets DVD and thought it was absolutely brilliant. From the cover to the content, I found it just breathtaking. Best £12 I've ever spent, I loved every minute of it.”

To order this new DVD for £12 (post-free in the UK), go to: http://www.retro-speedway.com

Or phone our Credit/Debit Card Hotline on 01708 734 502.

Will you be doing any other Tracks Tony???.......................................................

Will you be doing any other Tracks Tony???.......................................................

Quite likely, but it really depends how successful the Rayleigh one is.

One of the beauties with Rayleigh was the availabiluty of good quality action footage, thanks mainl to Terry Stone (whose camera filmed it originally) and then Ken Burnett for converting it. But that isn't the case with most defunct tracks.

I guess you're thinking of a possible Sunderland DVD? Many of the ex-riders are still around and can be tracked down for interview, but footage from the 1971-74 period is apparently very thin on the ground.

I'm nt convinced people will buy a DVD on their sadly defunct track unless it contains a fair sprinkling of old races to go with the new interviews.

Edited by tmc

sadly there is very little footage of league racing from the 1970's. i've never seen any filmed action from white city or wembley league meetings. british pathe have got footage from the press and practice day at wood lane in 1976. you would have thought that someone with a cine camera would have filmed something at some of these historic venues. :unsure:

Quite likely, but it really depends how successful the Rayleigh one is. One of the beauties with Rayleigh was the availabiluty of good quality action footage, thanks mainl to Terry Stone (whose camera filmed it originally) and then Ken Burnett for converting it. But that isn't the case with most defunct tracks. I guess you're thinking of a possible Sunderland DVD? Many of the ex-riders are still around and can be tracked down for interview, but footage from the 1971-74 period is apparently very thin on the ground. I'm nt convinced people will buy a DVD on their sadly defunct track unless it contains a fair sprinkling of old races to go with the new interviews.

Fair enough Tony. Thanks for the reply.

Perhaps a composite DVD of British League Division 2 Tracks might be a possibility at some point. That would be even better - it would be great to see the other Tracks too. Boston, Bradford, Hull, Teeside etc. for old time's sake.

• Like 1

sadly there is very little footage of league racing from the 1970's. i've never seen any filmed action from white city or wembley league meetings. british pathe have got footage from the press and practice day at wood lane in 1976. you would have thought that someone with a cine camera would have filmed something at some of these historic venues. :unsure:

Hi Tony - do you remenber Trevor Geer and Paul Gachet appearing in an episode of The Sweeney filmed at Wood Lane?

Yes, WL, I have that episode in my Sweeney box set.

Geer and Gachet were filmed riding around when the tall rider pulls to a halt by the pit gate, takes off his helmet and the actor is then questioned by D.I. Jack Regan (John Thaw).

Is that really the only footage of non-World Championship action filmed at Wood Lane?

Edited by tmc

The only film of the Rebels in acton is 1977 Cradley Vs White City I think the score was 331/2 441/2 to the Rebels,It was filmed by local TV

Ive asked before if anybody has this dont this anybody dose.

Retro Speedway has produced the first in a new series of DVDs on defunct tracks...

*Apart from the interviewees, the above includes action footage of Allan Emmett, Geoff Maloney, Hugh Saunders, Bob Young, Nigel Rackett, Brian Foote, Trevor Barnwell, Les Ott, Peter Claridge, Ivan Miller, Dennis Mannion.

Ivan Miller, eh? Does the DVD cover the race against Berwick where Miller knocked Willie Templeton off and brother Doug wrestled him from his bike? If it does then I'll happily buy a copy. To this day that's one of the funniest things I ever saw at a speedway meeting!

Ivan Miller, eh? Does the DVD cover the race against Berwick where Miller knocked Willie Templeton off and brother Doug wrestled him from his bike? If it does then I'll happily buy a copy. To this day that's one of the funniest things I ever saw at a speedway meeting!

Alas, that meeting with Berwick was not filmed. But there are some clear action sequences of Ivan Miller racing against Ellesmere Port in 1972.

hi tony the rayleigh dvd is awesome mate and have now just ordered the canterbury dvd, what the cahnces of a ellesmere port dvd being done? as you know i am your man for the gunners photographs or any footage of the glorious gunners and have ex gunners riders contact numbers as you know. look forward to hearing from you

sorry for the spelling mistakes my excuse is it's late

Thanks Keith, glad you've enjoyed it.

We're producing the History of Canterbury DVD this week, followed by West Ham and then Hackney.

Must admit, Ellesmere Port isn't in our planning at the moment, but I take your comments on board and appreciate there is a healthy interest in a Gunners retro DVD. We'll definitely give it a lot of consideration...

Bradford would be superb

Could I suggest you put video clips of the productions on your website give people a sneak preview of what they are buying.

Bradford would be superb

Could I suggest you put video clips of the productions on your website give people a sneak preview of what they are buying.

If you go to our website at www.retro-speedway.com and click on the Retro Speedway TV link at the top of the Home Page, you can view a nine-minute trailer for the Rayleigh DVD, plus most of our others DVDs...