British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
montie

Scunthorpe Saints 2012,

There are not many who leave and then return with the exemption of Birks, I'm thinking with today's news Master Ritchie Worrall is long gone.

What about Josh Auty and Joe Haines,they all returned,Hall came back last year,i know of one other whom was wanting a return,add that to Scunnys recent history of retaining the alot of riders,i would say your statement is along way from the truth!!

Speedway is often a numbers game and to say a rider is long gone,is often untrue

Pass on my best wishes to Richie for his spell at Lakeside,really chuffed for the lad to get an EL place,really deserves it too

What about Josh Auty and Joe Haines,they all returned,Hall came back last year,i know of one other whom was wanting a return,add that to Scunnys recent history of retaining the alot of riders,i would say your statement is along way from the truth!!

Speedway is often a numbers game and to say a rider is long gone,is often untrue

Pass on my best wishes to Richie for his spell at Lakeside,really chuffed for the lad to get an EL place,really deserves it too

Montie I am just saying I myself think he's long gone. That dosnt mean I hope he is.

Like you say it's a numbers game.

Unless you sign two 10 point men your team is very. low on averages.If a team turned up in any of the other leagues looking so weak they would be facing a fine ,so why is it allowed in the national;league.We the fans still are expected to turn up and part with 10 quid plu s petrol to watch them. Lads may come good but right now they are mostly going to find the national league allot different to what they are used to.I for one will be reluctant to spend my money.

Unless you sign two 10 point men your team is very. low on averages.If a team turned up in any of the other leagues looking so weak they would be facing a fine ,so why is it allowed in the national;league.We the fans still are expected to turn up and part with 10 quid plu s petrol to watch them. Lads may come good but right now they are mostly going to find the national league allot different to what they are used to.I for one will be reluctant to spend my money.

It works for Scunnie. 2010 below the limit... same team 2011 wins the League...

If you don't want to see a team of improvers - riders set to join the PL and EL - that's your choice. Think Richie Worrall. No experience 2010 - PL & NL 2011 - EL & PL 2012...

Thank goodness for Scunny who have operated a system for british youngsters to progress in their chosen sport. These lads deserve this opportunity. Scunny have the facilities and for about 5 years we've seen riders come through this system which has been successful. There is now a good band of british riders coming through in all leagues. The N/L was a development league, not sure what it is now? I watched the young new Saints in last weeks Amateur meeting race against 4 of our last years Saints. I was impressed so dont write them off!

It is a bit of a turnaround from one season to the next. From having Smethills at reserve and Nielson at no.8 to having novices as second strings. Don't be too down on the lads though they need your support and if you give it i'm sure they will return the gesture and next year who knows they may even win again.

Edited by TMW
  • Like 1

I am not against any young riders trying to improve but the national league has outgrown the training league it once was.The northern junior league is the place for these riders to start.Rob Godfrey does a great job bringing on young riders but he must look at the national league from the point of view of stand alone clubs they must have competitive meetings for their fans he once run a stand alone conference team and must know a show has to be good to keep the fans happy/ So ok two or three at the most 3pointers with next to know experience is enough for one team then lets see some good speedway.Lets just call the national league get rid of that stupid development tag

r

bw.........No No No! The National league must remain just that. Its where the youngsters start to grow, racing against older more experienced riders. Scunny have twice proved that the system works. I doubt the junior league will be as competative. I love NL and the best thing about it is to watch these youngsters progress to the likes of Tai, Josh, Tully. Joe and the Saints of last year. I think some of our NL teams should be in the prem with some of last years riders. You'd think that with 3 leagues riders could and should progress upwards.

You must be very blinkered BW if it wasnt for the management of scunny making a point and that being give youth a chance where would the NL be . if it was a solely stand alone league then how would the new riders get into speedway ,its easy they wouldnt ,example of this is when ashley morriss rode for us at the beginning, his scores reflected his ability at the time do you realy think a Dudley or Stoke would have stood by him ,i doubt it his talent would have taken longer to surface,After watching the new crop today british speedway will be better placed this year whatching new riders progressing because thats what is all about unless you have forgotten ,yes its nice to win the league but only through progression not by pounds .So i say drop the Nl and call it the development league because win or loose ill be there.PS think stuart is going for the youngest team ever that has to be applauded

bw.........No No No! The National league must remain just that. Its where the youngsters start to grow, racing against older more experienced riders. Scunny have twice proved that the system works. I doubt the junior league will be as competative. I love NL and the best thing about it is to watch these youngsters progress to the likes of Tai, Josh, Tully. Joe and the Saints of last year. I think some of our NL teams should be in the prem with some of last years riders. You'd think that with 3 leagues riders could and should progress upwards.

i agree riders should move up but the promoters dont give enough chances to brittish riders to move up they would rather bring in forign riders so a rider gets to a standard in national league then they hit a brick wall.the ones who do move up are not given a long enough run to make the grade and get replaced they end up back in the national league.i think Rob does a grand job but i still think the national league has grown out of being a development league.I tried to get my boss to sponser a rider last year but when i told him he rode in a development league he lost interest.

The National League has long lost being pure Development League in my opinion, I have been going since 1998/99

It really should be a semi professional 3rd division that allows youngsters to come in when ready and other riders who are forgotten/seriously injured in the PL to join.

An expanded Midland League or Northern League is where the new riders in the 21st Century should learn their trade and then move up.

Even so, Scunny have done stearling work with the resources that they have. It is the way to go for all new tracks if the money allows.....but then we can all dream as Planning Permission, etc usually does not allow it!

Edited by berniev123

The National League has long lost being pure Development League in my opinion, I have been going since 1998/99

It really should be a semi professional 3rd division that allows youngsters to come in when ready and other riders who are forgotten/seriously injured in the PL to join

Not sure how its lost it development tag to be honest when half the team are dual development teams

If it went semi pro,which is basically what the Pl is,a lot of these teams will pull out,due to an increase in cost

Unless you sign two 10 point men your team is very. low on averages.If a team turned up in any of the other leagues looking so weak they would be facing a fine ,so why is it allowed in the national;.

Try telling that to Max Clegg,Danny Phillips, Oliver Greenwood and the others just starting out who were there again yesterday practice,practice practice ,im sure they would disagree

Or it that now the Saints have lost the scunfield tag,you aint got nowt to moan about???

It is a bit of a turnaround from one season to the next. From having Smethills at reserve and Nielson at no.8 to having novices as second strings. Don't be too down on the lads though they need your support and if you give it i'm sure they will return the gesture and next year who knows they may even win again.

And the reason Smethills was reserve?? Talent who many had described as wobblers 12 month earlier had gone above him in the averages!!

• Like 1

If many of the speedway supporters who post on this thread was at Scunny to watch these youngsters progress I'm sure they would have different attitudes. Seeing is believing. Yes they may wobble at some stage. But lap after lap they soon get going and to watch how determined they are gives great pleasure. For those of you that support teams in the prem just spare a thought, check I'll bet you've got a team member who had sessions at Scunny and was wobblers for a short time. Surely this has to be the way to go. In junior leagues competing against riders of the same level won't be as good a system as the Scunny one! though I do agree it is a good start, its the competative edge of the N/L that spears the riders on. I predict both Oliver Greenwood and Dan Phillips to be Scunnies next Worralls!

You must be very blinkered BW if it wasnt for the management of scunny making a point and that being give youth a chance where would the NL be . if it was a solely stand alone league then how would the new riders get into speedway ,its easy they wouldnt ,example of this is when ashley morriss rode for us at the beginning, his scores reflected his ability at the time do you realy think a Dudley or Stoke would have stood by him ,i doubt it his talent would have taken longer to surface,After watching the new crop today british speedway will be better placed this year whatching new riders progressing because thats what is all about unless you have forgotten ,yes its nice to win the league but only through progression not by pounds .So i say drop the Nl and call it the development league because win or loose ill be there.PS think stuart is going for the youngest team ever that has to be applauded

Well Montie you are misinformed as far as Stoke are concerned.

Ben Reade averaged less than 3.00 last season whilst Ashley Morris averaged over 4.5 in his first season at Scunthorpe. And look at the fuss that was made because we left him out for two matches

I do not criticise what Scunthorpe are doing there has to be room in the National League for all.

At Stoke we are changing our overall club model to try and link Training Schools, Amateur Meetings, Midland League, Second halves and our senior team or teams. We are trying to put in place a career path for young Brits because we feel acutely that the sport is ignoring them to a large extent. We are trying to do what we can within the framework available.

I understand that many years of supporting Scunthorpe United has made you cynical and embittered but point your vitriol at the those in the National League that sacked British reserves not us. There is at least one club that dispensed with the services of three such riders and they are lauded as good for developing young talent!

If you want to know more about our plans for Stoke and to put details on here please call me any time. Then you can add meaning and accuracy to your statements at least as far as we are concerned.

Malcolm Vasey

There will always be a conflict of interests.

Standalone tracks have to put out a reasonably experienced side in order to attract enough of a paying crowd to make it viable!

If my local NL side Mildenhall, put a team out containing all of the riders who rode 2nd halfs there last season and had two 2nd strings Joe Jacobs and Aaron Baseby as the top 2 riders the crowds would drop by 2/3rd's and running Mildenhall speedway wouldn't be viable!

Stoke also fall into the same category but like Mildenhall as Malcolm points out they do try and accomodate some youngsters at the bottom end of their side and are trying to create a clear path for young riders to go down with 2nd halfs, training schools etc!

At the end of the day their isn't presently a good enough system in British speedway to develop youngsters but also speedway is about winning a race and teams can't be expected to carry youngsters not improving forever. The riders who make it normally progress quickly. If a youngsters been knocking around 2nd halfs/NL speedway since 13-16 years old and hasn't broken into PL by the time they are 20 then its a safe bet they aren't going to get any higher than they presently are!

Last seasons NL winners Scunny are one of the best clubs for encouraging young inexperienced riders but the side they used for most of the season was made up of quite a few PL regulars albeit messrs the Worrall twins and Birks who are still fairly new to the game!

Edited by 25yearfan