British Speedway Forum
olddon

Maitland Speedway Anniversary

From "Col Stewart, Australia's Speedway King, 1926-31" page 10: book written by Col Stewart's daughter Barbara Batistich in 2011.

"The story of the origins of organised dirt track racing became famous among riders. It was reported that the 1923 West Maitland Show had been a disaster. Rain had been pouring down for days and hardly anyone turned up. Johnnie Hoskins was the Show Ground's Secretary, and desperate for ideas to bring in the crowds and stave off bankruptcy. He was driving home one evening when he came across and amazing sight. Through a haze of exhaust fumes and dust he saw a group of riders apparently trying to commit suicide by hurtling their bikes round a huge dirt track they'd created through the bush. Hoskins asked them if they'd like to race at the Show Grounds, and soon an article appeared in the local newspaper announcing the very first organised dirt track meeting.

"Hoskins promoted his racing bikes under the name "speedway" and introduced racing under lights, cash prizes, racing rules and bike modifications. Country boys, used to rough riding, knew the only practical way to negotiate the the rutted dirt bends was to put your feet on the ground and the famous broadside began to develop. The advantage of a confined oval where crowds could see every "thrill and spill" (a favourite expression from those days), had been known as far back as chariot racing in Roman times, and Hoskins, like the Romans, knew a successful sport had to be part showmanship. His modern-day gladiators were an instant success and crowds began streaming in to watch the new sport."

JACK KEEN,

ERITH, KENT

Edited by olddon
  • Like 1

From "Col Stewart, Australia's Speedway King, 1926-31" page 10: book written by Col Stewart's daughter Barbara Batistich in 2011.

"The story of the origins of organised dirt track racing became famous among riders. It was reported that the 1923 West Maitland Show had been a disaster. Rain had been pouring down for days and hardly anyone turned up. Johnnie Hoskins was the Show Ground's Secretary, and desperate for ideas to bring in the crowds and stave off bankruptcy. He was driving home one evening when he came across and amazing sight. Through a haze of exhaust fumes and dust he saw a group of riders apparently trying to commit suicide by hurtling their bikes round a huge dirt track they'd created through the bush. Hoskins asked them if they'd like to race at the Show Grounds, and soon an article appeared in the local newspaper announcing the very first organised dirt track meeting.

"Hoskins promoted his racing bikes under the name "speedway" and introduced racing under lights, cash prizes, racing rules and bike modifications. Country boys, used to rough riding, knew the only practical way to negotiate the the rutted dirt bends was to put your feet on the ground and the famous broadside began to develop. The advantage of a confined oval where crowds could see every "thrill and spill" (a favourite expression from those days), had been known as far back as chariot racing in Roman times, and Hoskins, like the Romans, knew a successful had to be part showmanship. His modern-day gladiators were an instant success and crowds began streaming in to watch the new sport."

JACK KEEN,

ERITH, KENT

Ah more unsubstantiated quotes from 2011, whilst disregarding the the previously quoted newspaper reports of 1923, which contradict the above and like an ostrich with it's head in the sand, you still choose to ignore.

Ah more unsubstantiated quotes from 2011, whilst disregarding the the previously quoted newspaper reports of 1923, which contradict the above and like an ostrich with it's head in the sand, you still choose to ignore.

The book "Col Stewart - Australia's Speedway King 1926-31" written by his daughter Barbara Batistich in 2011was based on many items from Col's collection and included press cuttings for the research on the book. Seemingly they may have formed the basis for the comment about the start of speedway and I think the write-up that I quoted does in fact mention the press of that time?

Also, visit this site to crosscheck the mention of press cuttings http://www.speedwayplus.com/ColStewart.shtml

JACK KEEN,

ERITH, KENT

• Like 1

The book "Col Stewart - Australia's Speedway King 1926-31" written by his daughter Barbara Batistich in 2011was based on many items from Col's collection and included press cuttings for the research on the book. Seemingly they may have formed the basis for the comment about the start of speedway and I think the write-up that I quoted does in fact mention the press of that time?

Also, visit this site to crosscheck the mention of press cuttings http://www.speedwayp...olStewart.shtml

JACK KEEN,

ERITH, KENT

That link is just a review for a book and has no definitive references to contemporary published reports of 1923.

Nothing there to substantiate your belief re JSH.

Note you still have not responded to Ross Garrigan's factual references to the local newspaper article of December 1923, that indicates that the Hamilton Motor Cycle Club, not JSH, organised the event on 15/12/1923.

Can you provide an independent reference of the actual event (e.g. another local newspaper report dated 1923, or details from the programme for the actual event) which contradicts Mr Garrigan's newspaper extract of 11/12/1923 ?

Edited by cyclone

Also, visit this site to crosscheck the mention of press cuttings http://www.speedwayp...olStewart.shtml

JACK KEEN,

ERITH, KENT

Keep up the good work, Jack.

That link is just a review for a book and has no definitive references to contemporary published reports of 1923.

Nothing there to substantiate your belief re JSH.

Note you still have not responded to Ross Garrigan's factual references to the local newspaper article of December 1923, that indicates that the Hamilton Motor Cycle Club, not JSH, organised the event on 15/12/1923.

Can you provide an independent reference of the actual event (e.g. another local newspaper report dated 1923, or details from the programme for the actual event) which contradicts Mr Garrigan's newspaper extract of 11/12/1923 ?

The link was sent over to indicate that as with other researchers who are constantly mentioned on here that press cuttings were used in regard to the research for the Col Stewart book.

JACK KEEN,

ERITH, KENT

Edited by olddon
  • Like 1

The link was sent over to indicate that as with other researchers who are constantly mentioned on here that press cuttings were used in regard to the research for the Col Stewart book.

JACK KEEN,

ERITH, KENT

What are the specific details of the press cuttings you refer to ?.

In order to check their validity can you provide specific details of the source ,content, date published.

Note that when someone provided details that quote content, source and publication date, around the time of the event, you choose to ignore these, because they do not fit with your unsubstantiated interpretation.

As you appear unwilling to respond on the contemporary evidence provided, your research appears somewhat flawed when it comes to handling non anecdotal evidence available in 1923.

What are the specific details of the press cuttings you refer to ?.

In order to check their validity can you provide specific details of the source ,content, date published.

Note that when someone provided details that quote content, source and publication date, around the time of the event, you choose to ignore these, because they do not fit with your unsubstantiated interpretation.

As you appear unwilling to respond on the contemporary evidence provided, your research appears somewhat flawed when it comes to handling non anecdotal evidence available in 1923.

Gosh!!! And all I was passing on was a comment in a Press Release that made these claims re press cuttings being a source for the book. As they are in Australia and at the moment I am in Erith, Kent, I think you will agree it's a little difficult for me to take a look at them?

JACK KEEN,

ERITH, KENT

Gosh!!! And all I was passing on was a comment in a Press Release that made these claims re press cuttings being a source for the book. As they are in Australia and at the moment I am in Erith, Kent, I think you will agree it's a little difficult for me to take a look at them?

JACK KEEN,

ERITH, KENT

So as things stand at the moment they are unsubstantiated, unlike the 1923 details already provided on here, which you appear unwilling to mention, - why ?

So as things stand at the moment they are unsubstantiated, unlike the 1923 details already provided on here, which you appear unwilling to mention, - why ?

If I can intrude? Surely if the press cuttings were used as a reference for the Col Stewart book that is sufficient substantiation? In what way to you want them substantiated?

Secondly, while the poster Jack Keen is criticised on here, is there an actual reference from him that he believes Johnny Hoskins started speedway at Maitland in December 1923? I have cycled through most of the messages in this debate and while he brings to light items written in support of Hoskins, he has so far as I can see not said that it is his opinion. My view is that all he has done is highlight alternatives to the views of those contra to"Hoskins started speedway at Maitland December 1923".

Doubtless I will be told that I have lost the plot in this matter, and that's not difficult anyway because there is so much contradiction coming from each side in regard to what the other says it is starting to get very difficult to get a grip on what is actually under debate, Basically, is Keen a Hoskins disciple or just giving the alternative view to those who have a varied opinion on the start of speedway?

• Like 1

Seems rather strange that speedyguy it seems has started a new account just to post on this thread!!!!What do you say to that raceleader?

• Like 1

If I can intrude? Surely if the press cuttings were used as a reference for the Col Stewart book that is sufficient substantiation? In what way to you want them substantiated?

Details of source, date published, and content.

This was what Ross Garrigan did, so others could validate if they wished to do so.

To mention "press cuttings" without any details, can hardly be considered as a substantiated reference.

Details of source, date published, and content.

This was what Ross Garrigan did, so others could validate if they wished to do so.

To mention "press cuttings" without any details, can hardly be considered as a substantiated reference.

I think you will find the writer of the book referred to is not an experienced speedway author-historian but merely wrote a one-off book about her father Col Stewart as a tribute to him. In which case most likely it did not occur to her to itemise with dates and publications the press cuttings she was referring to. It is a nice little publication and had a limited print run.

Well said Speedwayguy. Having had some contact with Barbara and purchased a few copies of the book for friends, I am sure that the book is written as a tribute to her father.there are in fact some rare photos in the book.

Barbara did not write as a speedway reference book.

Tony

Well said Speedwayguy. Having had some contact with Barbara and purchased a few copies of the book for friends, I am sure that the book is written as a tribute to her father.there are in fact some rare photos in the book.

Barbara did not write as a speedway reference book.

Tony

The problem is others on here have chosen to ignore the contemporary evidence already provided by Ross Garrigan, and then use the contents of other sources, which as you say, were not written as reference books.

I certainly am not criticising the Col Stewart book and it is unfortunate that an individual poster has inferred that it should be considered as a reference text with regard to the topic under discussion.