British Speedway Forum
writernick

Peddlar Palmer

Firstly, allow me to apologise if this post is in the wrong place, I am new to this forum and new to speedway - although I am loving both! I hit 40 last year got a bike and started following speedway, but it was the end of the season so I only got to 3 meetings at Owlerton. I can't wait for March to come around so I can learn more about this great sport! Anyway - onto the subject of this topic:

A friend of mine manages an old people's home in Sheffield - I mentioned to him how much I was looking forward to the new speedway season and he said that one of the gents in his home had been a former speedway rider and manager. His name is Ernest 'Peddlar' Palmer and he is now 93 years of age although apparently still full of life and with an eye for the ladies ;)

My friend says that Peddlar would be thrilled if any speedway fans today knew of him, so it's over to you! He says that he rode for England and maybe managed Sheffield at one point? If any of you guys n gals on here do know of him and have messages for him then please let me know - I will make sure that they are passed on and it may make the old boy's day! :)

• Like 1

Good to hear Peddlar Palmer is still going strong. He was Long Eaton's first post war captain and did indeed manage Sheffield later on. I don't think he ever rode for England though unless it was a "B" International or something.

I never knew him but I have certainly heard OF him! Please pass on my best wishes as a long time speedway supporter

As soon as i mentioned the old folks home and an old rider/manager, my dad said straight away it was 'Peddlar Palmer. When my dad first started going to the speedway he said he was the manager then (around the time of Wilf Jay(i think he said)). My dad said that he did know that at one point he was living on Herries Road,Sheffield with his daughter. My dad knew quite a few of them from Sheffield speedway as he was originally a track grader and went on to be the announcer for years and my mum was also the beauty queen in the 60's. I believe Gladys (Frank Vareys wife) is also well as my mum and dad got there annual christmas card and she too is of a grand age.

A quick Google for 'Peddlar' turned up the following references:

First Paragraph

Photo of Long Eaton Dinner/Reunion (scroll down page)

Speedway Plus History of Long Eaton

World Championship Qualifing Round Scorechart 1950 (Scroll down to Liverpool)

The first three all make references to his being the first team captain at Long Eaton, and also later becoming the Tigers team manager, but I can't find any mention of an England appearance. I'm sure that if you search the Sheffield Forums, you will also find some content relating to Mr P

Hope these are helpful

Dave T

Edited by womble53

Guest compost

I've got the following stats for Pedlar Palmer -

1948 Wombwell (NL3) 15 matches 3.09 (includes bonus points) League average, 2.8 combined (i.e. all meetings) average

1949 Leicester (NL3) 29 matches 4.87 league, 5.24 combined

1950 Leicester (NL3) 13 matches 5.33 league, 5.09 combined &

1950 Long Eaton (Open) 18 matches 9.29 challenge match average

1951 Long Eaton (NL3) 49 matches 5.05 league, 5.78 combined

1952 Long Eaton (NL3) 2 matches (first 2 of the season) 2.67 league

The only England reference I've come across is that Long Eaton held a Young England (52) vs Young Australia (56) International on the 5th October 1950 in which Palmer rode - as it's listed as an International and not a Challenge it may have had some form of official approval and so he may have been created with a cap of appearance (?). BTW Palmer recorded 5-9-3.

I've no record of him riding, in an official match, after his 2 matches in 1952.

The first name My Mum always mentions when she talks about the days when she and my Dad watched the 'Hunters' back in the day, is Peddler Palmer.

She always remembers him not perhaps as the greatest rider but the Greatest Entertainer and Character of The Hunters:-)

I've got the following stats for Pedlar Palmer -

1949 Leicester (NL3) 29 matches 4.87 league, 5.24 combined

1950 Leicester (NL3) 13 matches 5.33 league, 5.09 combined &

Now this is making me feel really old. :D I can remember Pedlar Palmer when he rode for Leicester but I'd only be 9/10 years old at the time. I can still picture his face and he had loads of hair and wore glasses. I wonder if he has any hair left now bless him. I also wonder if it was a disadvantage to wear glasses bearing in mind that now they seem to be incorporated in the goggles I believe? I didn't know his real name was Ernest so I wonder why he got the nickname Pedlar, also why he had such a short career? Questions...questions. :lol: Perhaps your friend can ask him and at the same time tell him he is remembered by a lot of older speedway fans.

I remember in one of the matches at Blackbird Road (Not too sure if in was 1949 or 1950) when Peddlar (He of the hair, and the glasses) came a right cropper off turn 2 and ended up with his head stuck in the fence !

That takes me back far more years than I care to remember, but it does remind me of what a great track we lost when Blackbird Road closed :cry:

Firstly, allow me to apologise if this post is in the wrong place, I am new to this forum and new to speedway - although I am loving both! I hit 40 last year got a bike and started following speedway, but it was the end of the season so I only got to 3 meetings at Owlerton. I can't wait for March to come around so I can learn more about this great sport! Anyway - onto the subject of this topic:

A friend of mine manages an old people's home in Sheffield - I mentioned to him how much I was looking forward to the new speedway season and he said that one of the gents in his home had been a former speedway rider and manager. His name is Ernest 'Peddlar' Palmer and he is now 93 years of age although apparently still full of life and with an eye for the ladies ;)

My friend says that Peddlar would be thrilled if any speedway fans today knew of him, so it's over to you! He says that he rode for England and maybe managed Sheffield at one point? If any of you guys n gals on here do know of him and have messages for him then please let me know - I will make sure that they are passed on and it may make the old boy's day! :)

Wrong spelling! It is Pedlar Palmer aka Ernest 'Pedlar' Palmer. Just try a google search as Pedlar Palmer speedway rider. There's lot of references about him there. I think he was given the 'Pedlar' nickname after the famous bantanweight boxer. He's also worth a search for those with fisticuff interests - same format only use boxer instead of speedway rider.

JACK KEEN,

ERITH, KENT

Good to hear that a Rider I have only heard about and read about is still around.

VERY BEST WISHES to him. It really is good to hear about the 'old boys' of our wonderful Sport.

Thank you for telling us about this writernick. :approve: :approve:

I think he was given the 'Pedlar' nickname after the famous bantanweight boxer.

I noticed quite a lot of referrences to the boxing Palmer, but it would appear that 'Pedlar' or the alternative spelling of 'Peddler' is a common nickname for any person with the surname of Plamer, but as yet I can't find out why...............it seems the origins of 'Pedlar' Palmer, are not quite as clear cut as 'Spud' Murphy, 'Dixie' Dean or 'Nobby' Clark(e) for instance

i have a 1963 team photo with pedlar palmer on it somewhere

• Like 1

If you can get onto Facebook I've got a photo of Pedlar in the Hunters team. Hoping this works........

Hi just googled my uncle's name . Pedlar Palmer aka Ernest Palmer. Ex rider / manager Sheffield speedway. I was over whelmed by how well known & respected he is.

Ernest will be 93 on the 18 th February & I will be hopefully joining him & his daughter Irene ( sadly his wife Norah died 2 years ago) along with my parents ( brother in law - Roger) to celebrate his birthday.

Rachael ( niece)

• Like 2