British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
under16watcher

2011 British Under 16's Speedway 500cc Champion

people are saying we need British talent and 3 pointers. well Nathan Stoneman wasn't out of the top 2 places in any under 16 round in 2011. apart from buxton where he never competed. won the under 16's and became champion and hasn't yet got a ride. if anyone can please explain why this is happening to a champion. then you r comments will be taken on board.

people are saying we need British talent and 3 pointers. well Nathan Stoneman wasn't out of the top 2 places in any under 16 round in 2011. apart from buxton where he never competed. won the under 16's and became champion and hasn't yet got a ride. if anyone can please explain why this is happening to a champion. then you r comments will be taken on board.

Does seem a little odd,does he actually want a team place or isnt he bothered??How old is Nathan???

nathan is 15 years old and rang almost ever club in the national league this year. apart from kings lynn and buxton due to travel expenses as loose £120 per meeting if it was his home team. and as his dad is disabled he cant afford that every week. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=1860519907798 please watch this as nathan in action in under 16's

Edited by under16watcher

Nathan is a super rider he is fast but he is in control of his machine, as a lad of just 15 he has a very mature head on those young shoulders.

Maybe he won’t set the national league alight in his first year or two but I have seen too many young riders over the years go from zero to hero in a season then burn themselves out and we never see them again.

In my opinion we are giving far too many chances to foreign riders, like with the Australians why should they get special dispensation just because they can prove that one of their ancestors was deported to Australia on the last convict ship, if they were born in Australia then they are Australian not British.

How can Chris Louis hold his head high when he “sacked” two British riders to make way for more foreigners and how Matt Ford can be proud of winning the British Elite League Title when he will not contemplate engaging a British rider?

May be we should re name the Elite League as “The International Elite League”

nathan is 15 years old and rang almost ever club in the national league this year. apart from kings lynn and buxton due to travel expenses as loose £120 per meeting if it was his home team. and as his dad is disabled he cant afford that every week. https://www.facebook...v=1860519907798 please watch this as nathan in action in under 16's

I find it sad that Nathan cannot get a team place this year but with only 8 teams running now and the current points limit, somebody is going to miss out. There aren't enough NL tracks but I think somebody needs to rethink the sums.

The travelling expenses aren't great in the NL but loosing £120 per home meeting is stretching the imagination a bit far. He must surely have the wrong sort of transport.

this may explain it more as broke down the cost if we rode at buxton each week. total mileage is 476 miles at £7.50 per gallon. 32 miles to the gallon- 15gallon x 7.50 per gallon=£112.50 1 gallon of fuel(methanol) £7.50 -1 litre of oil £12 -and one tyre £45 so a total of £177 for the meeting minus 10 pence per mile from the club. £47.60 return without any money from points scored. so £177 for the day cost and a return of £47.60 so loss of £129.60. i hope this helps as we want to ride anywhere but at this price we just cant afford to do it this each week.

• Like 1

this may explain it more as broke down the cost if we rode at buxton each week. total mileage is 476 miles at £7.50 per gallon. 32 miles to the gallon- 15gallon x 7.50 per gallon=£112.50 1 gallon of fuel(methanol) £7.50 -1 litre of oil £12 -and one tyre £45 so a total of £177 for the meeting minus 10 pence per mile from the club. £47.60 return without any money from points scored. so £177 for the day cost and a return of £47.60 so loss of £129.60. i hope this helps as we want to ride anywhere but at this price we just cant afford to do it this each week.

That is the reality of the situation and it is sad. Part of the reward for winning the under 16 title should have been sponsorship. These costs are making it tough for all amateurs and league aspiring riders like Nathan.

It is splitting hairs but you did say that you loose £120 per week on travel expenses. Travel expenses don't include methanol, oil and tyres. I make the following comments.

Unlike a number of other teams, Buxton have in the past been in the habit of providing a gallon of methanol and a litre of oil per home meeting and you are buying the wrong oil if you are paying £12 per litre.

Diesel isn't yet £7.50 per gallon and if you were to get a more economical vehicle, you would get more than 32mpg. And why would you need a new tyre for every home meeting?

Yes speedway is expensive but don't make it more expensive than it is - buy wisely and travel sensibly and my final comment is that if you turned down a place at Buxton based on your sums, I think you were misguided. Buxton do a fantastic job with limited resources bringing on young riders - they are not a hire and fire set up.

Edited by Great Central

£7.35 per gallon of diesel in local tesco's and the closest store or motorcycle shop is exeter 30 mile away from where we live. and no its £12.50 per litre of castrol r40. and we havnt turned down any club just looked at the out lay before contacting a club. and if you can buy anymore with £420 per month disability money then please show me how. as a months money does not even pay for an engine service let alone two per year minimum. and as for a tyre per home meeting then it will last you an away meeting aswell hopefully and i would rather give a home spares van the money than an away one. and when you loose a limb in the motorcycle sport it gives you nothing back in return. so we know the cost of this sport as have been in it a long time.

Gc, i dont think it is about Nathan being misguided, probably more about it being un economic, ie he cant afford to ride for them. ;) as he doesnt have enough money coming in.

May be we should re name the Elite League as “The International Elite League.

If you didnt have the internationals it wouldnt be the elite league , maybe we could call it the below average league.

Oh didums, he doesnt want to travel all the way to Buxton, plenty of young aussies that will travel 15000 miles for a chance.

Junior

Again junior, you miss read what he is saying, Nathan cant make the sums add up, jesus guys, have none of you been in the situation, of earning less than you are spending, you cant keep dipping into the savings you know, thats if people have any left.

Travel from aussie, with a bike, a van, a sponsor all waiting for you, give Nathan and the rest of the Brits the same playing field. ;)

• Like 2

Again junior, you miss read what he is saying, Nathan cant make the sums add up, jesus guys, have none of you been in the situation, of earning less than you are spending, you cant keep dipping into the savings you know, thats if people have any left.

Travel from aussie, with a bike, a van, a sponsor all waiting for you, give Nathan and the rest of the Brits the same playing field. ;)

I am fully aware of the situation that prevails but what I was trying to say is that the sums being used were not accurate and therefore if Nathan's "supporters" advised him against joining Buxton(and we aren't sure this was the case), then it was based on inaccurate figures for the actual costs involved. Also it would not be every week because Buxton wouldn't be running every week. Note with fuel costs being so high, I can't break even on 10p per mile even at the MPG I get from my vehicle but the gap is not as big as being claimed.

If the funds are not there, there are only three alternatives: sponsorship, increase earnings or give up. I know that is a hard message but the promoters in the NL aren't making massive money out of their NL teams