British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
under16watcher

2011 British Under 16's Speedway 500cc Champion

That is the reality of the situation and it is sad. Part of the reward for winning the under 16 title should have been sponsorship. These costs are making it tough for all amateurs and league aspiring riders like Nathan.

This is not reality. You do not need a new tyre, in fact National League promoters have put forward a suggestion for second hand tyres only, You should not be paying £12 a litre for oil. That is a very expensive way to buy oil. You can source methanol cheaper that £7.50. Finally why shouldnt Nathan come away with some points money! He has the talent. The post detailing the expenses comes over as negative. You cannot expect to break even when starting in the National League.

just like too say that i'm not in anyway putting any clubs down. as they all do good jobs for speedway.its just hard to understand why my son hasn't got a chance in the national league as a champion. and thank you all for your comments.

I have known the Stoneman family for many, many years and they have never asked for charity.

Since Nathans dad lost his leg as a result of a grass track incident he has done his utmost to help Nathan progress first through the grass track scene and now through speedway and it is un fair for anybody to suggest that there are only three alternatives: sponsorship, increase earnings or give up.

Let’s get a few facts straight

• Nathans Mum works her fingers to the bone to provide for the family and help to support Nathans Speedway
  • Nathans Dad will do anything to help Nathan in his quest to proceed in the world of speedway
  • Nathans Granddad helps out as and when he can
  • They drive a Renault race van but it’s not the age of any vehicle that counts but the weight of the equipment that needs to be carried to meetings.
  • Nathans Dad dose all the sign work on the van and his bikes to cut costs
  • They live in the south west which means that a lot of the requirements for racing e.g. fuel, oil and fuel for the van is a good bit more expensive than it is if you live in the midlands or the north
  • The closest National League track for Nathan would be the Isle of Wight and for a home meeting they would travel just under 300 miles which would take 50 litres of fuel @ £144.9 per litre cost £79, + 8 hours travelling (all are return figures) and then they have to eat and all the would get back is 10p per mile =£30

When these lads win championships there should be a sponsorship deal as part of the prize they should also be offered outings with a National League team to allow them to gain valuable experience.

What is going to happen to the current 125cc Champion Henry Atkins when he is old enough to ride a 500cc bike will he be told to get an Australian Passport if he wants to ride in his own country

I have known the Stoneman family for many, many years and they have never asked for charity.

Since Nathans dad lost his leg as a result of a grass track incident he has done his utmost to help Nathan progress first through the grass track scene and now through speedway and it is un fair for anybody to suggest that there are only three alternatives: sponsorship, increase earnings or give up.

Let’s get a few facts straight

• Nathans Mum works her fingers to the bone to provide for the family and help to support Nathans Speedway
  • Nathans Dad will do anything to help Nathan in his quest to proceed in the world of speedway
  • Nathans Granddad helps out as and when he can
  • They drive a Renault race van but it’s not the age of any vehicle that counts but the weight of the equipment that needs to be carried to meetings.
  • Nathans Dad dose all the sign work on the van and his bikes to cut costs
  • They live in the south west which means that a lot of the requirements for racing e.g. fuel, oil and fuel for the van is a good bit more expensive than it is if you live in the midlands or the north
  • The closest National League track for Nathan would be the Isle of Wight and for a home meeting they would travel just under 300 miles which would take 50 litres of fuel @ £144.9 per litre cost £79, + 8 hours travelling (all are return figures) and then they have to eat and all the would get back is 10p per mile =£30

When these lads win championships there should be a sponsorship deal as part of the prize they should also be offered outings with a National League team to allow them to gain valuable experience.

What is going to happen to the current 125cc Champion Henry Atkins when he is old enough to ride a 500cc bike will he be told to get an Australian Passport if he wants to ride in his own country

So you think it is unfair but then go on to suggest there should be a sponsorship deal. If my memory serves me right Great Central travels around in an MPV with all their equipment. There are two bikes, a kit bag and a tool box. All motorsport is expensive. Speedway is one of the less costly. I suspect many parents of young speedway riders work hard to support their youngsters and travel thousands of miles to different tracks to have to pay to train never mind earn any money. Im afraid it is like everything in life. If you cant afford it you cant have it.

Edited by roguetrader

I am really surprised by some of the heartless comments on here, shame on some of you. Your actually nitpicking & arguing the cost of oil, diesel etc, in reality if they get the cheapest in the UK it will only reduce costs a few pounds & the lad will still lose money.

I dont know the Stoneman family but I really hope you get fixed up with a club & some modest sponsorship to help you out.

Are there any other young riders based in the south-west that would consider a van share, if the logistics could be ironed out. Splitting all the running costs, and where necessary travelling together, would cut costs.

The other thing that springs immediately to mind is a big one and may come across as disingenuous, but nothing could be further from the truth. Have you considered moving? Basing yourself in the Midlands would immediately slash your travel costs, and depending on the area you live now and the area you were to move to you may be able to raise money from the sale of your home.

-----------------------------------------

I think there are ways in which the costs could be cut quite significantly in the NL, but many riders seem to want to emulate the EL/GP stars and have all the latest bling. Kids today are like magpies. If it's shiny they want one! :lol:

One NL rider posted on FB just recently that he's had a load of parts anodised. Is there any real need for that? Perhaps he can afford it but it's just an example that springs to mind. How many NL riders have a number of painted helmets rather than a couple and helmet covers? I don't know the answer to that but I bet there are a number. Likewise I can't answer this but are the majority of NL riders cheeky enough to ask if there are any odds and sods that an EL rider is about to bin that he can either have or buy at a fraction of the cost of buying new?

just like too say that i'm not in anyway putting any clubs down. as they all do good jobs for speedway.its just hard to understand why my son hasn't got a chance in the national league as a champion. and thank you all for your comments.

I really think you need to have a good chat with whoever is looking after the Youth scene. Under 16 Champion does not equate to anything near the National League. Not many promoters will be impressed by your posts on here.

I am really surprised by some of the heartless comments on here, shame on some of you. Your actually nitpicking & arguing the cost of oil, diesel etc, in reality if they get the cheapest in the UK it will only reduce costs a few pounds & the lad will still lose money.

I dont know the Stoneman family but I really hope you get fixed up with a club & some modest sponsorship to help you out.

You need to smell the coffee! Cost is everything. I could save them £50 a meeting without blinking.

Edited by roguetrader

Let's not be kidding ourselves here - all motor sport is damned expensive these days and trust me, I know from the personal experience of parting with about £6k each and every year to race gearbox karts without a penny piece in sponsorship or money earned back from it.

In any motor sport you care to name, and at any level, there will always be those who have a real talent but struggle to afford to buy and maintain equipment, and there will always be those to whom money is no object and always seem to have the best kit. Thats life Im afraid. You can do it on a tight budget, but by the same token you shouldn't expect to set the world on fire. Regulations could be put in place to make NL racing more affordable, but then you open the door up to people making stupid decisions. Again - I have seen this happen and its damned annoying.

As far as those who spend loads of money to make their kit look good are concerned, good luck to them I say. There are 2 schools of thought on this - firstly those who think its an unnecessary expense, and then there are those who take a pride in giving the impression that they want to make their kit look professional. Personally, I applaud anyone who spends as much as they can afford on maintaining their bikes. Some will always be able to afford more than others.

• Like 2

I spent years chasing the Holy Grail of Ice Figure Skating.......2 or 3 cars, caravan, training in Solihull & Sheffield, travelling like a NL Speedway Rider to Competitions all over the UK, travelling to NISA training sessions & NISA Tests sessions, Olympic Squad National Training Camps all over the UK and days off work without pay.

It cost my wife & I about £75,000 in total and a lot of days apart from my family over 9 years.

Soft tissue injury put paid to my daughter at the grand old age of 14!!!!!

If you do not have the cash, don't carry on, my problem was worse.....I was ill and she was finished!

I have NO SYMPATHY at all......there are winners and loosers in life.................................Get over it!

I would not change what I did for anything, but take it from me, costs in any sport are horrendous no matter what you chose for your son or daughter to follow, just thank God that they are healthy and very able in what they do when they are a lot older than 15!.

Edited by berniev123
  • Like 1

I spent years chasing the Holy Grail of Ice Figure Skating.......2 or 3 cars, caravan, training in Solihull & Sheffield, travelling like a NL Speedway Rider to Competitions all over the UK, travelling to NISA training sessions & NISA Tests sessions, Olympic Squad National Training Camps all over the UK and days off work without pay.

It cost my wife & I about £75,000 in total and a lot of days apart from my family over 9 years.

Soft tissue injury put paid to my daughter at the grand old age of 14!!!!!

If you do not have the cash, don't carry on, my problem was worse.....I was ill and she was finished!

I have NO SYMPATHY at all......there are winners and loosers in life.................................Get over it!

I would not change what I did for anything, but take it from me, costs in any sport are horrendous no matter what you chose for your son or daughter to follow, just thank God that they are healthy and very able in what they do when they are a lot older than 15!.

And I thought speedway was expensive!!

And I thought speedway was expensive!!

Think yourself luck that junior doesn't want to do clay pigeon shooting.

Reading things like this gets me angry with the whole set up of speedway in this country. Surely the BSPA should be helping young talented rider's like Nathan getting sponsership deals especially as he is u-16 champ. Also im disappointed in the bigger clubs in the country ie Coventry and Poole not running an NL set up, surely they could easily afford it and then youngsters would have the benefits of sponsership these 2 clubs provide. I would certainly go and watch NL speedway at Coventry.

Reading things like this gets me angry with the whole set up of speedway in this country. Surely the BSPA should be helping young talented rider's like Nathan getting sponsership deals especially as he is u-16 champ. Also im disappointed in the bigger clubs in the country ie Coventry and Poole not running an NL set up, surely they could easily afford it and then youngsters would have the benefits of sponsership these 2 clubs provide. I would certainly go and watch NL speedway at Coventry.

Woz01 - I love watching NL speedway - of course it's not the fastest, but I tell you that after 2 years of watching , I have probably seen more exciting races and more passing than you would in 20 years of EL racing!! However, I am afraid to say that you are in the minority. The only reason that Dudley has such good crowds is that by and large, it is made up of die hard Cradley fans who want a team to support. Contrary to what some people have said, it is NOT the Wolves junior team.

I so wish that there were more people like you, but sadly it appears .that clubs are struggling to field a team in both EL/PL and the NL as well. Neither BV or Newport will now be operating NL in 2012, and even Scunthorpe were making noises earlier on - thank God that has now been sorted. As I see it, the 2 biggest problems that the NL now face have both been highlighted on this forum - decent riders not getting a team place, and not enough clubs in the NL. Obviously, the one is related to the other. I dont know whether the biggest problem is apethy on the part of speedway supporters, but I would urge anyone who reads these postings, and hasn't seen NL racing before to give it a go. And, as others have also suggested, I would urge those EL/PL teams who are able to do so to reintroduce second halves to give our youngsters a chance. The cost would be low, and the benefits would be huge.
Edited by villiers210

Woz01 - I love watching NL speedway - of course it's not the fastest, but I tell you that after 2 years of watching , I have probably seen more exciting races and more passing than you would in 20 years of EL racing!! However, I am afraid to say that you are in the minority. The only reason that Dudley has such good crowds is that by and large, it is made up of die hard Cradley fans who want a team to support. Contrary to what some people have said, it is NOT the Wolves junior team.

I so wish that there were more people like you, but sadly it appears .that clubs are struggling to field a team in both EL/PL and the NL as well. Neither BV or Newport will now be operating NL in 2012, and even Scunthorpe were making noises earlier on - thank God that has now been sorted. As I see it, the 2 biggest problems that the NL now face have both been highlighted on this forum - decent riders not getting a team place, and not enough clubs in the NL. Obviously, the one is related to the other. I dont know whether the biggest problem is apethy on the part of speedway supporters, but I would urge anyone who reads these postings, and hasn't seen NL racing before to give it a go. And, as others have also suggested, I would urge those EL/PL teams who are able to do so to reintroduce second halves to give our youngsters a chance. The cost would be low, and the benefits would be huge.

Excellent post from a passionate supporter of speedway at all levels.

Superb idea --but cost is unfortunately the over-riding factor. The medical cover cost increases when you do a second half for a starter. The riders are not paid for these races but naturally do then for the experience and to put them into the eyes of promoters.

I have been a strong advocate of junior racing and done what i can in that direction. This year without NL at Newport I have agreed to help out the Mercia Vikings who will race their home matches at Coventry after a successful meeting along with Kelvin Lapworth with Mick Horton and Blayne Scroggins recently. But overall the chances for young riders is very limited.

Some travel to tracks in the hope of some laps after the meeting but curfews sometimes mean that these are wasted journeys and the disappointment on their faces is easy to see.

More must be done --but there is no magic formula and I said cost is a major factor along with curfews etc.

Edited by Main Man