British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
under16watcher

2011 British Under 16's Speedway 500cc Champion

Think yourself luck that junior doesn't want to do clay pigeon shooting.

funny thing is , my lad gave up clay shooting to do speedway. Once you`ve bought the gun there are many places to shoot that are local. Ok so if you want to compete you have to travel but the costs were way less than speedway. Cartridges have gone up in price but so has everything else. At least a gun doesn`t need servicing after 40 shots.

It suck when youngster dont get help i sponsor one rider already but it a joke when u see people like Hagon shock doing stuff for the youngsters in the USA and sponsor Ward and Holder but not help the young Brit out :(.

• Like 2

people are saying we need British talent and 3 pointers. well Nathan Stoneman wasn't out of the top 2 places in any under 16 round in 2011. apart from buxton where he never competed. won the under 16's and became champion and hasn't yet got a ride. if anyone can please explain why this is happening to a champion. then you r comments will be taken on board.

Mayde try entering the Amateur meeting at Scunny next Saturday,put yourself in the shop window???

Montie, i think he would, but its probably a 500 mile round trip from where he is.

It suck when youngster dont get help i sponsor one rider already but it a joke when u see people like Hagon shock doing stuff for the youngsters in the USA and sponsor Ward and Holder but not help the young Brit out :(.

you should speak to Martin Hagon about that mate as there`s good reason behind it.

does he not sponsor richardson, kennett, marc owen and brandon freemantle

Neil, I was reffering to the USA set up rather than doing it here.

Neil, I was reffering to the USA set up rather than doing it here.

was repling to greg mate not you and all i was pointing out was he does help brits but if people keep knocking people that help one day they say stuff it

monties quote was fantastic "does he want a team place or is he not bothered ??

i have seen nathan at many tracks and he is a good solid rider .

two years in the national and he will defo bang the points in.

for his age he has to be the best around, the lad should get help with sponsors he is english .

a team manager not to far away from buxton who no's everything about nl once quoted" £10 a point and 10p a mile is very resonable for a nl rider" ?????? even though his team pay more than that???

add new guards new covers and 2 new silencers to under16watchers list and the price of riding this year is astronomical.

this is why english kids are being lost to the sport !

stick at it nathan you will defo make a good speedway rider a team place will come

Edited by portgunner

Mayde try entering the Amateur meeting at Scunny next Saturday,put yourself in the shop window???

he'd be better off £ wise trying for your :icon_smile_clown: mates team ? the 1 who swears by £10 and 10p an reckons clubs that pay more are ruining nl :o.

it is only 20 min from buxton an may not work out as expensive ????.

nathan is a good talent and english there are also a lot of good young lads at scunnys amateur/training days'

however costs of running bikes and travel are stupid and with promoters not getting crowds to get money in how can they pay it out .

the sport needs a shake up :t: scrap elite and run british and national league ! with british kids at reserve only in british.

you;ll all laugh but the sooner the better or speedway will become a sunday big meeting spectator sport .

time will tell ??????

• Like 1

Also im disappointed in the bigger clubs in the country ie Coventry and Poole not running an NL set up...

Poole tried it, but apparently Matt Ford couldn't make it pay for itself.

I would urge those EL/PL teams who are able to do so to reintroduce second halves to give our youngsters a chance. The cost would be low, and the benefits would be huge.

Coventry often have a 'proper' second half of one type or another, but then its curfew seems somewhat more flexible than others. Who, if there, could forget the 23:15 finish for the GP Challenge a few years ago?!

Wolves often have a number of amateurs/kids (whoever they are) waiting for a spin after the meeting, but they do give preference to their own riders if they need to test something. That's quite right as the EL team is their business, and there are virtually no opportunities to test anything with strict regulations in place in this country. However, it does eat into the time that the others have available, especially with a strict deadline in place.

As MM states, the cost is always going to be a major factor too. Paying riders at this level is probably relatively affordable compared to the medical and insurance (plus other necessary) costs.

This year without NL at Newport I have agreed to help out the Mercia Vikings who will race their home matches at Coventry...

Any more detail on this? I'm over there most weeks so will have to try to convince someone to stand out in the cold a little longer with me. :lol: I don't think there's been anything on the Cov website about this, which is a shame (taken at face value - I accept there could be good reason).

Superb idea --but cost is unfortunately the over-riding factor. The medical cover cost increases when you do a second half for a starter. The riders are not paid for these races but naturally do then for the experience and to put them into the eyes of promoters.

I have been a strong advocate of junior racing and done what i can in that direction. This year without NL at Newport I have agreed to help out the Mercia Vikings who will race their home matches at Coventry after a successful meeting along with Kelvin Lapworth with Mick Horton and Blayne Scroggins recently. But overall the chances for young riders is very limited.

Some travel to tracks in the hope of some laps after the meeting but curfews sometimes mean that these are wasted journeys and the disappointment on their faces is easy to see.

More must be done --but there is no magic formula and I said cost is a major factor along with curfews etc.

I still believe that all tracks could run a season long competition as used to be run at Exeter many years ago

Back then it was called “The Mercury Motor Inn Trophy” named after the sponsor where by the two reserves and the lowest scorer from the main team event where pitted against the top three junior’s.

It sounds like the main team riders had it easy but I can assure you they did not and the beauty of this competition was that the junior’s got the track time and race experience that they needed, the reserves also had additional race training and the lowest score would have the opportunity to sort out any problems that he might have experienced in the main match

• Like 1

I've suggested something similar a few times. I think all NL teams should name a number 8, and he should have an average no greater than 3.00. I would give the second half to the 5th member of your top 5 plus the reserves and the number 8. Typically those riders in your main team with be the ones that might get pulled out of a ride in the main meeting, and you will be giving your number 8 regular outings. I would also stipulate that no tactical changes can be made in these heats. Every rider takes his programmed riders unless a rider is ruled out through injury (certified by the doctor). In that case any rider with a lesser average than the injured rider comes in. In the even that it's the number 8 that's injured then only the lowest averaging rider can replace him.

This differs just slightly from what you've suggested as I don't necessarily think the lowest scorer on the night is someone that really needs extra rides. It could be a vastly experienced rider that's just had one of 'those' nights. I would rather someone starting out on a 3-point average gets a couple of rides. You could even, in a few cases, see a rider deliberately throw his last ride in the main meeting to get himself into the second half to gain another couple of rides.