Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
SteveEvans

Usa Future

Something I was wondering the other day... would a big, old name from the USA taking part in their tour be a bigger attraction for fans?

Imagine the size of the crowds if, say, Penhall or Shawn Moran took part. I know its unlikely, but has it been looked into?

We almost had Ronnie Correy last year until he blew his bike up practicing!

Tour over the years have had themes - last April for example was pure old skool nostalgia. This one is more young rider oriented. An old name from the past in the appropriate tour would for sure be box office but it isn't the April 2012 theme.

Wel, personally I'd like to see the 'man in green': Tuff (.."of the Track") McBride!!

I texted Tuff today (he was working in his pub in New York State) and he was thrilled he caught someone's attention. I think he'd love another crack at the UK but not in April as we're trying for young 'uns! His amazing pass in his last race at Kings Lynn (before it was stopped) was a tour highlight! Was a pleasure to have him with us!

In fairness though, it was only 5 years ago that Correy was riding PL speedway.

A big name from the past who hasnt raced for a bit longer would surely flock the crowds in and the reason I suggested Penhall or Moran (or both :lol: ) was because both seem to be involved in the production of the young americans these days.

• Like 1

I texted Tuff today (he was working in his pub in New York State) and he was thrilled he caught someone's attention. I think he'd love another crack at the UK but not in April as we're trying for young 'uns! His amazing pass in his last race at Kings Lynn (before it was stopped) was a tour highlight! Was a pleasure to have him with us!

Tell Tuff then that Parsloes wasn't his only fan! Though initially attracted by his great name, his courage and never say die attitude really impressed. Would love to see him back later in the year, though i'm really excited by the young un's team!

In fairness though, it was only 5 years ago that Correy was riding PL speedway.

A big name from the past who hasnt raced for a bit longer would surely flock the crowds in and the reason I suggested Penhall or Moran (or both :lol: ) was because both seem to be involved in the production of the young americans these days.

Good ideas!

Shawn couldn't ride speedway at a competitive level due to an injury sustained on a dirt bike a few years ago. Bruce on occasion does an exhibition ride every few years but his competitive days were almost 30 years ago.

Good ideas!

Shawn couldn't ride speedway at a competitive level due to an injury sustained on a dirt bike a few years ago. Bruce on occasion does an exhibition ride every few years but his competitive days were almost 30 years ago.

Though to be fair, if you can include Bruce then you HAVE to include the far younger Tuff!!! :wink::P

• Like 1

World Cup fever is spreading amongst the organizers and riders as the USA prepares for its most serious assault on the SWC in recent years. May 5th 2012 is the big date and a victory in Slovenia over the hosts, Finland and Italy would see the USA back in the final stages for the first time in 5 years.

Preparations have started earlier than ever and rider logistics, fundraising and planning have been top the new AMA Advisory Committee's agenda.

The European based quartet of World Champion Greg Hancock, Ryan Fisher, Ricky Wells and Kenny Ingalls have all been spoken to at length and all are hugely excited with the plans ahead. Of the USA based riders Josh Larsen, Chris Kerr and Tyson Burmeister, all with European experience, have all expressed a serious interest in being involved.

Perhaps the biggest news is the possible international comeback of Billy Hamill. Hamill, inspired by the new project, both on the realistic possibility of the 2012 team qualifying and in building a long term international future, has pledged himself to the May 5th round and beyond on the basis that his peers would do the same. The response to Hamill's rallying cry from his colleagues has been hugely positive all the way and whilst its too soon to confirm the team for Slovenia, the top American riders overseas and in the US are pulling together to make this happen.

The proposed test match series the week before the World Cup is currently in the hands of the BSPA in the UK. There is a very good chance this will come off - the Brits want to stage the first official series in about 15 years, though the main issue is ensuring the availability of Ryan Fisher, Kenny Ingalls and Ricky Wells for all events - the three riders race for a combined five teams in the UK and Fisher will also likely be in Polish league action too. Aside from the above riders named, the likes of Tyson Burmeister, Josh Larsen, Jimmy Fishback, Eddie Castro and Mike Buman have expressed interest in these events.

Two weeks before the senior squad hit Slovenia, the youngsters will go to the Ukraine on April 21st in the Under 21 World Cup Qualifier. In preparation for this the 'USA Future World Cup Squad' will fly to the UK on April 6th and race in four events between the 10th and 15th. Already confirmed for the USA Future team are Mike Buman, Brad Pappalardo and Aaron Fox. There are many other riders working hard to secure one of the remaining four spots for the USA Future - names to drop are Austin Novratil, Bryce Starks, Gino Manzares, Michael Raines, John Marquez, Russell Green, Jason Ramirez and Dylan Black. Ricky Wells is obviously top of the Under 21 teams wanted list, though his busy UK schedule will need to be considered.

The AMA Committee consists of Jason Bonsignore, Richard Child, Bill Cumbo (AMA) Steve Evans, Billy Hamill, Dave Joiner, Josh Larsen & Ken Saillant (AMA). Each bring valuable skills and experience to the table and are committed to improving USA on the International stage as well as the domestic National Series.

Power to yr elbow Steve !

Speedway needs the US at a competitive level. The news sounds are positive atm :t:

Steve -

:t::D:lol:

Speedway does indeed NEED the USA back in World Speedway.

Love to see a England v USA Test Match and listen to the good old US Anthem.