British Speedway Forum
Knowle

Marching Along Together

Can anyone supply the lyrics of this song that the rakers etc. marched out to at Bristol and possibly Wimbledon in the 1950s?

If you enter "marching along together "song on youtube one of the things that pops up is "The Lawrence Welk show" version-it is sung by the Glee Singers and it is possible to hear all the words. Hope this helps!

Can anyone supply the lyrics of this song that the rakers etc. marched out to at Bristol and possibly Wimbledon in the 1950s?

Time fades the memory - the years are marching on. But wasn't this also the early post-war theme song at New Cross with a version by the great Al Bowlly? Or am I just confused?

If you enter "marching along together "song on youtube one of the things that pops up is "The Lawrence Welk show" version-it is sung by the Glee Singers and it is possible to hear all the words. Hope this helps!

Thanks BOBBATH for your trouble. Unfortunately the version sung on youtube bears no resemblance to the "British" lyrics beyond the first line! The reason for my request is that I have been in contact with Dave Dutton who is the son of Bill Dutton who was a well known speedway team manager from the 1950s associated with Exeter,Cardiff,Swindon and Weymouth prior to his death in 1958 and who has a book out describing his pre University life from birth in Bristol in 1940. He was a massive fan of Bristol in the early1950s and records in his book the lyrics of the tune but gets stuck on line 5 and is keen to complete it. If anyone can help here is a prompt;

"Marching along together

Singing all along the line

What do we care for weather

We'll be there in rain or shine

Blankety blank blank blank blank

Ready to do or die

We'll march along with a cheery song

To brighten every mile

We've packed our troubles in our kitbags

And that is why we smile

So, marching along together

Happy just to be side by side!"

Some years ago I heard this song reproduced on one of the sites dedicated to the history of old tracks possibly New Cross but can't find it now. I recall that George Allen the Bristol promoter appealed in a programme editorial for any fan to come with a spare "78" with it on as the track copy was broken and he had had to borrow one from either Ronnie Green's or Fred Mockford's "closely guarded" stock at Wimbledon or New Cross. How times have changed!

Jim Blanchard had it on his New Cross tribute site: http://jbsportsimages.co.uk/page0.html

Thank you Norbold, unfortunately whilst mentioned on it the link no longer works. Can you give me any help in establishing how I can get in touch with this Jim Blanchard or send me a PM. Thanks Richard

Thank you Norbold, unfortunately whilst mentioned on it the link no longer works. Can you give me any help in establishing how I can get in touch with this Jim Blanchard or send me a PM. Thanks Richard

My apologises Richard, but I had not checked the link for somewhile and it appears to be broken. I did hunt around last night and come up with the correct version on You Tube by Al Bowlly - so you can not only hear - it but see it.. :D

To hear it Via my New Cross web site its: http://www.jbsportsi...o.uk/page1.html or direct to the You tube one is:

The links are working now.

Best regards, and hope that helps...

Jim

Edited by Jim Blanchard

Thank you Jim that was brilliant. I think I saw all the Bristol v New Cross matches between 1949 and 1953.There was special rivalry between these tracks both being similar yardages making for close results particularly in the Daily Mail National Trophy first leg in 1949 when Bristol as a second division side only lost 55-53 at the Old Kent Road. Happy Days.

Thank you Jim that was brilliant. I think I saw all the Bristol v New Cross matches between 1949 and 1953.There was special rivalry between these tracks both being similar yardages making for close results particularly in the Daily Mail National Trophy first leg in 1949 when Bristol as a second division side only lost 55-53 at the Old Kent Road. Happy Days.

Anyone know what happened to the Trophy?

I believe it was very impressive. A solid silver Speedway Rider on a Plinth - I think.............................................

Quite valuable too - even more so now.

Anyone know what happened to the Trophy?

I believe it was very impressive. A solid silver Speedway Rider on a Plinth - I think.............................................

Quite valuable too - even more so now.

Presumably as the 'Daily Mail' presented the trophy, when the competition ended it reverted to them.

Presumably as the 'Daily Mail' presented the trophy, when the competition ended it reverted to them.

I seem to remember an article in VSM a few years ago stating that it is in the vaults of the Daily Mail

Edited by Knowle

I seem to remember an article in VSM a few years ago stating that it is in the vaults of the Daily Mail

Ah yes - that was it. I was sure I read about it somewhere. I have all the VSMs so I will check up when I get some time.

Thank you kindly for reminding me Knowle. :) :)