British Speedway Forum

ISSUE 16 OF CLASSIC SPEEDWAY IS OUT NOW AND INCLUDES...

NORMAN HUNTER Exclusive interview

A star of the 60s for Leicester, Hackney, West Ham, Wolves and England, ‘Norm the Storm’ was on the verge of world class status until serious injury stopped him in his tracks. We visit the home of one of the sport’s eternal nice guys to look back on a successful career.

Here are some of Norman’s quotes:

“I got three third places in my first match at Blackbird Road and after scoring more points in a couple of second-half rides, I went home with about 12 quid in my pocket. I couldn’t believe how rich I was and drove home in my Morris 1000 van thinking about all the nice things I could buy with my earnings!”

“Ken Mac (McKinlay) told me that he always knew when I was feeling nervous because I’d continuously be clearing my throat in the car on the way to a meeting.”

“West Ham wrote some defamatory comments about me in their programme, saying something along the lines that I was moping around and that there was no sense in keeping an unhappy rider ‘because you know what one bad apple can do’. I was fuming and contacted my solicitor.”

“I came back from that crash but it knocked me for six and I was never the same rider again. It was my throttle hand and it hampered me.”

Norman is pictured here with the programme for the 1968 World Team Cup Final at Wembley, where he won his one and only race for the victorious GB team.

RAY CRESP Exclusive interview

Ray Cresp was one of speedway’s most combative personalities. His competitive spirit was always to the fore, whether on the track as a high scoring heat leader or as a tough negotiator in smoke-filled committee room battles between the Speedway Riders’ Association and the promoters. We tracked down the former World Finalist at his Australian home.

HOW POLAND BEAT THE WORLD IN 1961

Poland rules the speedway world again today, with retention of the World Cup in 2011 following Tomasz Gollob’s long awaited individual GP success in 2010. Here we turn the clock back 50 years to recall their first ever World Championship victory, revealing the full incredible story of how spirit and bizarre improvisation overcame a dark day and turned potential disaster into a national triumph.

NORMAN STRACHAN Q&A

Looking back with the former Poole, Newport and Oxford rider.

Norman says: “Being in the Army messed my career up. I think I could have been a much better rider if it hadn’t been for that. What happened was that in 1956 I’d taken a part-time job and I chopped a couple of fingers off my right hand when I was using a circular saw. I was told I’d never ride again but in the end I rode until 1973. If I hadn’t been in the Army I’d have been able to ride more in the early days and I wouldn’t have had to get that job.”

FRANK CHARLES: Legend

He was one of England’s greatest, a star for Belle Vue and Wembley, but his zest for more thrills beyond speedway ultimately cost him his life.

Plus...

GARRY MIDDLETON'S final resting place.

Ian Hoskins on VIC DUGGAN'S starting prowess and the brilliant BRISTOL BULLDOGS of the late 40s and John Hyam on the veteran pairing of WAL MORTON and GEOFF PYMAR.

Tributes to KEITH COX and LARS JANSSON.

Your letters and the 1970 SWINDON ROBINS in full colour.

And our latest quiz - can you name the riders in our 60s action shot and the identity of the two body colours?

To order this issue or subscribe online, go to:

http://www.retro-speedway.com

SUBSCRIBERS RECEIVE A FREE GLOSSY 6x4 PRINT OF A SPEEDWAY SUPERSTAR - JACK YOUNG IN WEST HAM COLOURS COMES FREE WITH ISSUE 16.