British Speedway Forum
The White Knight

'nicknames'!

30 minutes ago, geoff100 said:

blond bombshell "reg wilson                             king of crash" chris blythe

Surely The Blond Bombshell was Graham Warren, and The King of Crash was Phil Bishop.

1 hour ago, PotteringAround said:

Surely The Blond Bombshell was Graham Warren, and The King of Crash was Phil Bishop.

Perhaps copied by bill carman early 1970 mike man at derwent park 

According to Dave Lanning-think he made them up- "The Dockland pearl" (Malcolm Simmons) and "Anchor" Norman Hunter

I think Dave Lanning made up lots of stuff in his columns that were never taken on by others

17 minutes ago, iris123 said:

I think Dave Lanning made up lots of stuff in his columns that were never taken on by others

Yeah, he came up with a bunch of nicknames and monikers - usually alliterative - just for effect!

3 hours ago, PotteringAround said:

Definitely...

3 hours ago, BOBBATH said:

According to Dave Lanning-think he made them up- "The Dockland pearl" (Malcolm Simmons) and "Anchor" Norman Hunter

And Stan "the man" Stevens.

I miss Dave Lanning-wot a showman!! Thinking here of the 1965 Hammers when he used to write the programme notes

5 hours ago, BOBBATH said:

I miss Dave Lanning-wot a showman!! Thinking here of the 1965 Hammers when he used to write the programme notes

He was good at Cowley in 1972 "Let Battle Commence" as well as for a few years down at Arlington.

Just my opinion of course but Dave Lanning was better on the mic than on paper. Reading back, most of his stuff is quite painful to read

• Like 1

1 hour ago, iris123 said:

Just my opinion of course but Dave Lanning was better on the mic than on paper. Reading back, most of his stuff is quite painful to read

It used to amuse my friends and me that every time he wrote about Peter Moore or Ray Cresp, he always used the same introduction, "Droll leathery faced slick-gating Aussie...."

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, iris123 said:

Agree. Barely legible. As a commentator, absolutely iconic.:)

• Like 1

On 6/19/2022 at 5:30 PM, andout said:

Split......or rather Squire Waterman got his nickname when he bent over and split his leathers all the way down......he was originally nicknamed Split Arse but Split remained until the end!

I always understood Squire Waterman was called 'Split' because of his laugh?

12 minutes ago, JohnHyam said:

I always understood Squire Waterman was called 'Split' because of his laugh?

I've seen at least three different explanations for his nickname...