British Speedway Forum
TonyMac

Soren Sjosten & Christer Lofqvist

We are working on two inter-linking features in the next issue of Backtrack that throw the spotlight on these two spectacular, little world class Swedes who served up so much great entertainment in the 60s & 70s.

Just wondered if any forum members have any memories of either Soren or Christer that they would care to share with us here, for possible inclusion in our features?

Soren rode for Belle Vue from 1963 to 1975 inc, before brief spells with newly-elevated Birmingham (1976), Wolves (1977) and Bristol (1978).

Christer arrived at West Ham midway through 1970, starred throughout their last BL1 season in '71 and then had two good years with Poole (1972 & '73) before a troubled time with Hackney ('75) that preceded his death in 1976 due to a brain tumour.

C'mon . . . these two must conjure up good memories....

If you would rather PM me, please do so. Our email is: editorial@retro-speedway.com

Edited by tmc

Hi Tony I hope that you don't mnd me saying Christer Lofqvist died, on 1 February 1978.

He was also allocated to ride for Wimbledon in 1976, by rider control, but Wimbledon couldn't agree terms, with him.

• Like 2

Robbie - Always appreciate being corrected on factual errors, so thanks. I hadn't checked the date before posting the above but obviously would have done before writing the piece!

Edited by tmc

christer lofqvist, what a rider. my first ever meeting at west ham in 1970 was christer's debut for the hammers against my beloved dons. he certainly made a big impression on me as a young kid. his dicing with the fence on the wide open spaces at custom house will live with me forever. a few weeks later i saw him score a fifteen point maximum at wembley that secured his status as a speedway hero to me. i was gutted when the hammers closed and he moved to poole in 1972. i was over the moon when he was allocated to ride for the dons in 1976, but sadly it never happened. thanks for the memories christer.

christer lofqvist, what a rider. my first ever meeting at west ham in 1970 was christer's debut for the hammers against my beloved dons. he certainly made a big impression on me as a young kid. his dicing with the fence on the wide open spaces at custom house will live with me forever. a few weeks later i saw him score a fifteen point maximum at wembley that secured his status as a speedway hero to me. i was gutted when the hammers closed and he moved to poole in 1972. i was over the moon when he was allocated to ride for the dons in 1976, but sadly it never happened. thanks for the memories christer.

See him at Swindon in 1973 that Daily Mirror meeting at Swindon broke the tapes? in heat 1. Was lucky to stay in Redmond the N.Z manager went mad he went out and broke the track record a exciting talent in a way reminds me of Ward.

Glad to know that you were there too! I don't know why, but Christer's debut is just one of those nights that I'll always remember, even though I was just 7 years old.

Steve

Glad to know that you were there too! I don't know why, but Christer's debut is just one of those nights that I'll always remember, even though I was just 7 years old.

Steve

Weird Steve in 73 i see him Christer he did make an impression on me.I think i see him 3 times the last time for the hawks first time i was only 8 was a pocket dynamite.,

Bloody hell steve-didn't realise you were that young!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bloody hell steve-didn't realise you were that young!!!!!!!!!!!!

As I always tell people - I'm not old, I just look it and feel it... :cry:

My parents met at Wimbledon (my mum started going in 1950, and my dad first went in 1958), I was born in 1962, and went to my first meeting when I was three weeks old. Even though I was young, many of my earliest memories are of speedway. As I said, for whatever reason, that night stands out for me.

Steve

Hi Tony I hope that you don't mnd me saying Christer Lofqvist died, on 1 February 1978.

He was also allocated to ride for Wimbledon in 1976, by rider control, but Wimbledon couldn't agree terms, with him.

According to Magnus Nystrom, Cyril Maidment and Anders Michanck , Christer Lofqvist simply didn't show up at Plough Lane rather than he didn't agree terms. The truth may be somewhere in the middle although having known Cyril quite well when I was growing up I will go with what he says

As a Wimbledon fan the introduction of Christer seemed superb for us and having seen him ride a number of times previously it seemed almost to good to be true. I can clearly remember though that all the annoncements at that time about him did not suggest terms being the difficulty and for someone that lost his life so shortly after I feel somewhat uncomfortable now that it was widely stated that he just did not show.

His perfomances prior though are what should be noted.