British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
troops

Scunthorpe Scorpions V Leicester Lions Kenny Smith Challenge 16/03/12

SCORPIONS v LIONS

Challenge/Kenny Smith Memorial Trophy

16/03/2012

Hello all. Hope you’ve all had a good winter. The new season is upon us, a new look team, plenty early season optimism, the excitement’s brewing. How well do you think The Scorpions will perform this year?

This week The Leicester Lions arrive in town for the 1st Leg of an intriguing challenge encounter. It promises to be a great match and a super start to the season.

Line ups

Scunthorpe

1. David Howe (8.32)

2. Josh Auty (7.48)

3. Tero Aarnio (6.48)

4. Thomas Jorgensen (5.81)

5. Michael Palm Toft (5.12)

6. Tom Armstrong (5.00)

7. Ashley Birks (3.81)

Leicester

1. Lasse Bjerre (7.80)

2. Magnus Karlsson (7.76)

3. Kauko Nieminen (7.53)

4. Simon Lambert (5.64)

5. Jari Makinen (5.00)

6. Jan Graversen (4.59)

7. Simon Nielsen (3.76)

The Scorpions welcome three ‘new’ riders to the team this year. Extremely pleased to see our old favorite Josh Auty back in a Scunny race jacket, should be a great season for him. Same goes for Ash Birks. He was outstanding for The Saints last season, fantastic coup getting him back to Scunny. Finally a big warm hello to Aussie Tom Armstrong, don’t know too much about the guy having not seen him race competively but very much looking forward seeing him progress this year. The returnee’s need no introduction, so just to say welcome back David, Tero, Michael and Thomas. All four have the potential to improve greatly on last season.

The Lions can boast several ex Scorpions in their squad. Magnus Karlsson perhaps the best of the bunch, along with Simon Lambert and Jan Graversen will ensure The Lions have riders who know the fastest way round The EWR. In Lasse Bjerre they have one of, if not the most exciting of visitors to Scunthorpe last year. Kauko Nieminen is an established class act and completes a strong heat leader trio. Two relative unknowns, Jari Makinen and Simon Nielsen complete the Leicester septet.

So looking forward to this one, its been a long winter. I see Scorpions winning this leg by 10 points whilst also gaining an aggregate victory over the Lions. That’s my prediction, whats yours?

Please feel free to make pre and post match comments on this thread.

• Like 1

Can't wait for this meeting to get our season started. I think Scorpions will get the win. As its a Kenny Smith memorial trophy I hope the winner is a SCORPION! roll on Friday!