British Speedway Forum

Any info on what the council said in their rejection of support for the event?

Not 100% certain but I believe the logistics of putting on the event at the same time as the Olympics was a factor. You may well say that the council should have known that when they offered their support in the first place of course............................

I read on The Spokesman on-line that a TV production company is discussing with the sport's governing body the possibility of screenng highlights of Elite League cycle speedway matches. Does anyone know if there have been further developments?

I also read that the talks had been put back to a new date still to be arranged.

Can't say too much as the outcome will be put out as a press release shortly, but "positive" talks have indeed now taken place

This link provides a background to cycle speedway on British TV channels.

http://www.spokesman-online.co.uk/jock_strop_152.html

JACK KEEN,

ERITH, KENT

This would never happen in motorcycle speeway: from The Spokesman on-line:

Astley Fined and Warned

Astley & Tyldesley CSC has been fined £100 and warned about its future conduct following irregularities at two Northern Combination fixtures, Astley v Hull and Astley v Sheffield. The club was found guilty of deliberately attempting to mislead the public by misrepresenting the reporting of the event by including the name of a rider who did not take part in the matches. The full disciplinary findings can be viewed on

http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/about/article/British-Cycling-Disciplinary-Home

I saw a London Old Masters Championship at East London about four or five years ago and wonder if the event still takes place? I confess to having not seen a cycle speedway meetings since then but was considering going to see this Sunday's match at East London when they are at home to Ipswich. But with all the bad weather over the past week I wonder if the match will take place? Does anyone know. I have just visited their site and there's no news of a postponement at the moment.

Edited by raceleader

Olsen makes debut for Leicester

The Midland Division 3 is all about rider development and Leicester took the opportunity to give debuts to five riders, all of them enjoyed the experience and acquitted themselves well. The match against Birmingham was entertaining throughout, Ewan Hancox and Dylan Hexley looking impressive for the visitors and debutant Sarah Olsen picking up a couple of wins for the home side.

Leicester 64 (Luke Whitehead 14, Sarah Olsen 13+1, Elizabeth Rigley 10+1, Joel Duckham 9+1, Abbey Duckham 8, Matthew Walpole 7, George Olsen 3)

Birmingham 62 (Ewan Hancox 17+2, Jake Ryan 14+1, Dylan Hexley 12, Reece Winwood 9+2, Ryan Winwood 9, Honey Whitehead 0)

Leicester's next home meeting is the Wil Burns memorial on Sat May 12th. World champion Lukas Nowacki and British Champion Andy Angell are just two of the big names taking part in the senior pairs event. The ladies individual includes Leicesters other world champ Laura Watson.

I saw a London Old Masters Championship at East London about four or five years ago and wonder if the event still takes place? I confess to having not seen a cycle speedway meetings since then but was considering going to see this Sunday's match at East London when they are at home to Ipswich. But with all the bad weather over the past week I wonder if the match will take place? Does anyone know. I have just visited their site and there's no news of a postponement at the moment.

I did look out my wellies yesterday but in the end decided against making the journey. I looking on their website but there was nothing to indicate what was happening and equally the Ipswich club's site was uninformative about what was going on in regard to the periods of heavy rain possibly affecting the match.

Six 30 min slots of Elite League action has been allocated for Sky to broadcast during the summer. The programmes will also be broadcast in Europe, USA, Australisia and Asia.

Six 30 min slots of Elite League action has been allocated for Sky to broadcast during the summer. The programmes will also be broadcast in Europe, USA, Australisia and Asia.

That's great news. It shows that cycle speedway is being recognised in important places - and rightly so.

That's great news. It shows that cycle speedway is being recognised in important places - and rightly so.

There's more news about the SKY TV link here.

http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/cyclespeedway/article/cyst-Cycle-Speedway--Latest-News-0

Phil - many thanks for the new title to this thread. Cycle speedway recognised at last by the BSF - very grateful indeed. Fingers crossed that the interest momentum continues - remember cycle speedway followers - "SKY TV may be watching you!"

Coventry will not be staging the British Over 40s Club Championship on June 2. It will now be hosted by Leicester.

Entries close on Wednesday May 2 this week.

Edited by speedyguy

Most of the guys are over in Poland at the moment riding in the Euro Club Champs. Not heard much news apart from that it is 32 degress over there the jammy ****!

Most of the guys are over in Poland at the moment riding in the Euro Club Champs. Not heard much news apart from that it is 32 degress over there the jammy ****!

What UK teams are involved and what format is the Euro Club Championship?

Several clubs had applied to stage the Europen Champs, including Leicester who had the event fully sponsored. However it was allocated to East London - for all the right reasons given it's proximity to the OG - but after promising so much Newham(?) council pulled the plug and left them high and dry.

The event is now in Ipswich.

That's a total sickener... Bloody typical sadly of London Borough of Newham... :mad: :mad:

Any details as yet of indoor meetings for the winter months - appox November 2012 to mid-March 2013?

These are the Elite League fixtures for May:

Monday 7th May

Birmingham v Leicester

Sunday 20th May

Leicester v Sheffield

Poole v Horspath

Wednesfield v Ipswich

• Like 1