British Speedway Forum

The Birmingham V Leicester match sounds interesting on Bank holiday Monday - not only does it clash with the holiday but also the U13 boys and girls championship up at Sheffield. I know that a combination of the two means that Leicester are struggling to raise a even slightly decent squad (second team included) and most of the Birmingham lads will only just have returned from Poland.

Mind you I reckon that anyone -even with a full strength team - will find Birmingham hard work this year, particularly at home.

This is how cycle speedway was when I started in the 1940s. This track was reasonably close to where my first speedway love New Cross was situated.

Here are the results from the Euro Champs in Poland and also pics of the meetings.

It ended a 1-2-3 to Polish clubs with Sheffield 4th and best of the British sides.

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&prev=/search?q%3Dkalety%2Bspeedrower%26hl%3Den%26biw%3D1366%26bih%3D690%26prmd%3Dimvns&rurl=translate.google.co.uk&sl=pl&u=http://eurospeedrower.pl/index.php/pl/program-zawodow

The above link I have posted should take you into the translated page. on the front page you will see the racing schedule and results typed up. On the left hand side you will see the different links. Click results and it shows you the results from Round 1 to the final and you can also click into them to see the riders and their scores.

Also on the gallery link there are pics of the weeks racing, though when I go into it when you click a photo it does not blow up to full size (not sure if that is just me doing something wrong)

The final saw Leszno win with 42pts and then a run off for second which Czestochowa got ahead of Torun and then Sheffield 4th.

In the small final Horspath won by one point to Wednesfield and then came Kaleta and Birmingham

Here is a better link that you can click on the photos and they go full screen

http://www.eurospeed....php/en/gallery

Excellent. This little cycle speedway thread is proving a welcome relief to me, well away from the sport proper. I have browsed two or three photos and now intend to work my way through the full set.

This weekend their are a few fixtures up and down the country (weather permitting)

Saturday

British Under 10 Club Championships - Astley & Tyldesley

Womens & Girls League - Sheffield

Euro Vets - Sandwell

Sunday

South/South Wales League - Swindon v Horspath

British Under 13 Club Championships - Bury

South/South Wales League - Hellingly v Exeter

South/South Wales League - Poole v Southampton

Bank Hol Monday

Elite League - Birmingham v Leicester

British Under 13 Individual Champs - Sheffield

Norfolk GP 2 - Norwich

An interesting looking weekend. I wonder if there is anything on at "my local track" at East London - about 12 miles from where I live and a public transport journey involved (no P1928nearly: no Streatham bus - where I don't live anyway - goes that way).

An interesting looking weekend. I wonder if there is anything on at "my local track" at East London - about 12 miles from where I live and a public transport journey involved (no P1928nearly: no Streatham bus - where I don't live anyway - goes that way).

I forgot they had a website. Sadly though I found this message about Sunday May 6 2012:

Please note: No match this weekend as Somersham have pulled out of the SE League:

Next Home Match: 10th June

East London v Hethersett 2.00pm

Edited by speedyguy

The following changes in championship venues are announced by British Cycling:

July 7: One2Call Women’s Inter Regional League Round – Now at East Newport.

August 11: Wosskow Brown BJYL National League Round (Over 12’s) – Now at Exeter.

The venue changes are because the original track at Filton will not be available on these dates.

Edited by speedyguy

Birmingham won a fiery meeting with Leicester 91-79 today. Weather was not to bad, could of been alot worse to be fair. Not sure the second team result as I was in the lineup, though only expected to maybe get one ride got four in the end! Great to get out on the track after what seems like a lifetime with the bad weather.

If you were watching the Birmingham Leicester match in my opinion so bad ref ing which spoilt the match. But that's racing

From the spokesman on-line. Latest TV development update:

TELEVISION PRESENTS UNPRECEDENTED DEVELOPMENT OPPORTUNITY - posted 4 May 2012

The announcement that Sky Sports are to cover six Elite matches this season is wonderful news for cycle speedway.

All credit to Joe McLaughlin, Graham Sutton and Rob Haywood for their commitment and professionalism in persuading production company ProActveTV to screen six 30 minutes programmes which will not only feature on Sky’s four prime-time sports channels but will be seen in millions of homes worldwide.

In our New Year editorial we highlighted what could be achieved by partnership working and encouraging those best able to do particular jobs. Surely there is no better illustration of this than the combined achievements of Messrs McLaughin, Sutton and Haywood.

Clubs now have to play their part by delivering competitive and sporting racing, attracting good crowds and showcasing cycle speedway at its very best.

Of course the series is not yet sealed. Firstly organisers have to put together a self-funding package, before any filming can begin. Having experienced first-hand how lack of funding came so close to scuppering the 2011 National Finals broadcast, every effort must be made to find the money to enable cycle speedway’s long-held dream to become a reality.

British Cycling has a crucial role in ensuring that cycle speedway’s best-ever development opportunity, goes ahead. The door has been unlocked. It now remains to be seen if the governing body, in particular principal movers and shakers on the BC Board, can use their combined weight and influence to push the door open.

Edited by speedyguy

If you were watching the Birmingham Leicester match in my opinion so bad ref ing which spoilt the match. But that's racing

Wasn't there but I heard that both sides thought that the ref was abysmal with some home riders apologising for the way some of the decisions went