British Speedway Forum

Hi guys,

I was not sure where to put this post so I thought I would add it in here. I was looking at getting into Cycle Speedway and I wondered if their was anyone on here that has tried it or even rides for a team.

I have found my local team is Birmingham and they train on a Tuesday night so I am going to pop down and see how I go. I was wondering if anyone has any tips or advice for a novice like me as I have only seen clips on youtube and so I have a idea of what it is like but I do not know alot about the sport.

Cheers

Richard

Cycle speedway is a great sport. I rode in it in the 1950s for London area tracks Brockley Boomerangs, Welling Wings and Beckton Aces. It was all a memorable experience for me and even after all these years I look back on it fondly.

I think the BSF should create a discussion board in this section for it.

Have fun with the Birmingham track. And I suggest you do a google search for cycle speedway because there are quite a few sites dealing with the sport's activities which, although low key publicity wise, has an international element about it.

Here's a link that may be of use to you: http://www.spokesman-online.co.uk/

Edited by speedyguy

Terry Stone once spoke to me about all the tracks around East London - wish I'd had a recorder rolling as it was a lot of info! Where was the Beckton Aces track, speedy?

The Beckton Aces track was in Ellesmere Street, Poplar E4.

This list of London cycle speedway clubs may be of interest to yoiu:

http://londonspeedways.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=sniffy336&action=display&thread=824

Edited by speedyguy

My step son rides for Great Blakenham - your best bet is to just go along one evening and have a chat with them, most clubs have club bikes you could use before commiting to buying your own bike - make sure you have a cycle helmet, gloves and long sleeve top and trousers tho.

You're kidding me!! I know Ellesmere St. really well!!!!! Why was it called Beckton though when based in that part of Poplar!!?

I don't know. I'm a South Londoner - originally from Deptford. I think that I went to the track about three times. Then they dropped me!!!

They didn't seem to like reserves who came in half a lap behind the other three riders!

Edited by speedyguy

I don't know. I'm a South Londoner - originally from Deptford. I think that I went to the track about three times. Then they dropped me!!!

They didn't seem to like reserves who came in half a lap behind the other three riders!

Is this why you gave up the push bike and started travelling on the Streatham omnibus!!?? :P:lol:

btw, thanks for that list of London tracks - a-maz-ing!!! Reckon our Tel mentioned half of these when chatting to me!!! :wink:

One (well at least one...) missing though...

The Arbour Atoms rode out of the Arbour Youth Club in Stepney - check out this:

http://www.cyclespeedwayhistory.org.uk/2454.shtml

Oh and ANOTHER...: a club which T. Stone esq. rode for along with Stan Stevens and I think quite possibly Gentleman George Barclay too...

The Barking Park-based Longbridge Leopards

http://www.cyclespeedwayhistory.org.uk/835.shtml

Hi guys, I was not sure where to put this post so I thought I would add it in here. I was looking at getting into Cycle Speedway and I wondered if their was anyone on here that has tried it or even rides for a team. I have found my local team is Birmingham and they train on a Tuesday night so I am going to pop down and see how I go. I was wondering if anyone has any tips or advice for a novice like me as I have only seen clips on youtube and so I have a idea of what it is like but I do not know alot about the sport. Cheers Richard

A great sport. Its traditions go back to 1946 on a national basis but there were a few clubs pre-WW2.

Thanks everyone for the info and also for the weblink Speedyguy. During the week I have ordered some padded goalkeeper trousers, gloves and got some decent trainers this weekend so once my gear comes I will go and have a blast. It looks a fun sport and I am surprised there is not more clubs cause with the government and some groups talking about children get more obese and adults and it will get worse in the future then Cycle Speedway could really benefit from this and help get people being active and also get the sport some big publicity

This interest in cycle speedway obviously indicates that a forum/discussion for the sport should be stablished ASAP on this site?

It does have links with 'proper' speedway. Many late 1940s and early 1950s riders graduated from cycle speedway to the motorcycle version.

Edited by speedyguy

This interest in cycle speedway obviously indicates that a forum/discussion for the sport should be stablished ASAP on this site?

It does have links with 'proper' speedway. Many late 1940s and early 1950s riders graduated from cycle speedway to the motorcycle version.

As of course did the greatest rider of all time. Ivan Mauger having ridden for The South London Rangers.

As of course did the greatest rider of all time. Ivan Mauger having ridden for The South London Rangers.

I completely forgot about Ivan Mauger and South London Rangers. Wasn't Ernie Baker in the same side?

I completely forgot about Ivan Mauger and South London Rangers. Wasn't Ernie Baker in the same side?

my dad was

Was this the club based at Sydenham or another one..? And what were the circs Ivan turned out for them?