British Speedway Forum

Here's another good link. I assume the articles listed will open when clicked on?

http://www.britishcy...k/cyclespeedway

Sadly, I have tried the link to The Spokesman http://www.spokesman...o.uk/index.html and found the list of articles all neatly dated but cannot find out how to open them?

Help please?

Edited by speedyguy

Last years Premier League has been re branded as the Elite League. The new Premier League was going to be a slightly lower level of racing but with only four teams who starting with Southampton followed by Hull pulled out leaving a two team league, this was scrapped with Birmingham accepting an invite to join the new Elite League. Leicester will have 6 home Elite League fixtures as well as their midland and local league stuff

Only 6 Elite League meetings still doesn't seem like many in a March to the end of October season. :sad: Are East Park (?) Wolverhampton still riding?

Edited by Gemini

Here's another good link. I assume the articles listed will open when clicked on?

http://www.britishcy...k/cyclespeedway

Sadly, I have tried the link to The Spokesman http://www.spokesman...o.uk/index.html and found the list of articles all neatly dated but cannot find out to open them?

Help please?

I have now worked out how to get The Spokesman articles. There is a Topic Title in the centre, then go to the index on the left (there's a column of them) and click on the one that you wish to enter. Simple as that - except for me apparently.

Only 6 Elite League meetings still doesn't seem like many in a March to the end of October season. :sad: Are East Park (?) Wolverhampton still riding?

The old Premier League was traditionall only 6 team so always only gave 5 home meetings. The last few years it has been 7 teams then 8 now as the Elite League it is back to 7.

East Park are still running but they are not, and have never been an Elite League team. They race in the Midland League

• Like 1

some cycle speedway pictures i took on Sunday .. North Park (Norwich) v Great Blakenham

http://www.flickr.co...57629726760649/

at least one contributor on this thread is in some of them ...... :t:

Excellent photography. It's all so different from my bomb-site track days in the 1940s and 1950s. But it is still very much good old cycle speedway and it's nice to know that it is alive and doing so well.

Unlike London proper (with no arguments please about Lakeside Hammers and Rye House - again!) which has no speedway tracks, there is one cycle speedway club in London. These are its details. They race home matches on Sunday afternoons.

http://eastlondoncyc...aguematches.htm

And here's one I hope to get more information on - it's rather outside the London area however.

Sun Apr 17 World Championships (at Edenton, North Carolina, USA) to Mon Apr 25

Edited by speedyguy

Some time in the late 60s/early 70s my Mum's milkman (!) started a Cycle Speedway team on the existing but abandoned track in Morden Park, a few miles from Wimbledon's Plough Lane although not as close to it as South London's Garratt Park track.

I rode for them for a few seasons - they were called the Morden Monarchs - and our main local rivals were Tolworth (Tudors?) and like most teams they used to beat us. With the passage of time memories are a bit hazy but I do remember away matches against Bow and/or Edmonton, plus a track in the shadows of Wormwood Scrubs.

If you are prepared to fight your way through the brambles which have taken over the site you can still make out (just) parts of the track - or at least that's what my wife told me a year or so ago when I sent her in there!

I still have a picture somewhere of us taking on the Dons on the Plough Lane track as part of an end of season celebration - 1 lap only I think, or maybe just half a lap.

I still live within walking distance of the park and to this day can be seen cycling through it.

While typing I have remembered that the previous team that rode in Morden Park was the Sutton Saints who I think must have folded and therefore vacated the track.

Happy Days - or should I say Daze!

Some time in the late 60s/early 70s my Mum's milkman (!) started a Cycle Speedway team on the existing but abandoned track in Morden Park, a few miles from Wimbledon's Plough Lane although not as close to it as South London's Garratt Park track.

I rode for them for a few seasons - they were called the Morden Monarchs - and our main local rivals were Tolworth (Tudors?) and like most teams they used to beat us. With the passage of time memories are a bit hazy but I do remember away matches against Bow and/or Edmonton, plus a track in the shadows of Wormwood Scrubs.

If you are prepared to fight your way through the brambles which have taken over the site you can still make out (just) parts of the track - or at least that's what my wife told me a year or so ago when I sent her in there!

I still have a picture somewhere of us taking on the Dons on the Plough Lane track as part of an end of season celebration - 1 lap only I think, or maybe just half a lap.

I still live within walking distance of the park and to this day can be seen cycling through it.

While typing I have remembered that the previous team that rode in Morden Park was the Sutton Saints who I think must have folded and therefore vacated the track.

Happy Days - or should I say Daze!

And all about the Morden Monarchs can be seen here http://www.cyclespeedwayhistory.org.uk/1105.shtml as can data on many other cycle speedway teams.

THE SPOKESMAN ON LINE, APRIL 4, 2012:

Filton Cycle speedway track is based in South Gloucestershire.

TOP TRACK COULD BE BULLDOZED - posted 4 April 2012

One of the best cycle speedway tracks in the country could be bulldozed to make way for football pitches.

The shock news follows reports that Filton town council is considering plans to demolish the track, transform it into five-a-side football 'hub' and develop a multi-use games area.

Despite its small membership, the local club, the Filton Flyers, is due to host the most important event in the cycle speedway annual calendar, the national championships which take place over the August bank holiday weekend.

The track has been the focus of considerable debate since it was built and has attracted criticism due to its charging policy and lack of use. Proposals to establish a local club in the area have been slow to take off. However there is a small nucleus of enthusiasts who are still keen to see a local club established.

Last week, the town council imposed a charge for use of the track which had previously been free. The cash-starved authority agreed by a large majority to charge Filton Cycle Speedway £15.40 per hour, with all day bookings costing £123.20.

Cycle speedway's governing body, British Cycling, is keen to retain the facility which is currently provided at a peppercorn rent. BC's regional development officer, Mark Adams, has written to the town council asked for an urgent meeting in the hope that the hire costs could be significantly reduced or even waived for a short period.

Edited by speedyguy

THE SPOKESMAN ON LINE, APRIL 4, 2012:

Filton Cycle speedway track is based in South Gloucestershire.

TOP TRACK COULD BE BULLDOZED - posted 4 April 2012

One of the best cycle speedway tracks in the country could be bulldozed to make way for football pitches.

The shock news follows reports that Filton town council is considering plans to demolish the track, transform it into five-a-side football 'hub' and develop a multi-use games area.

Despite its small membership, the local club, the Filton Flyers, is due to host the most important event in the cycle speedway annual calendar, the national championships which take place over the August bank holiday weekend.

The track has been the focus of considerable debate since it was built and has attracted criticism due to its charging policy and lack of use. Proposals to establish a local club in the area have been slow to take off. However there is a small nucleus of enthusiasts who are still keen to see a local club established.

Last week, the town council imposed a charge for use of the track which had previously been free. The cash-starved authority agreed by a large majority to charge Filton Cycle Speedway £15.40 per hour, with all day bookings costing £123.20.

Cycle speedway's governing body, British Cycling, is keen to retain the facility which is currently provided at a peppercorn rent. BC's regional development officer, Mark Adams, has written to the town council asked for an urgent meeting in the hope that the hire costs could be significantly reduced or even waived for a short period.

Bloody hell - that's awful news...

Wednesfield have got a memorial meeting on Bank Holiday Monday (weather permitting) It will be 40 heats with a Ladies Open in the middle of the meeting.

Wednesfield have got a memorial meeting on Bank Holiday Monday (weather permitting) It will be 40 heats with a Ladies Open in the middle of the meeting.

gracious me - theres nothing better than some Ladies Open in the middle of a meeting..