British Speedway Forum

That makes a lot more sense! Couldn't see any way a club called Beckton would be based in Poplar! I take it there was a track on Elleseme St., E14 as well though .?

You're right about what they call the Beckton Alp (though sadly the one time dry ski slope there has long since now closed down). Incidentally the 'alp, was created to bury underneath it a second world war Gunnery site..: one very similar to the one used now as a Speedway track in Iwade!

Here's an update on the track at Ellesmere Street, E14.

http://londonspeedways.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=sniffy6&action=display&thread=1407&page=1

Here's more on the Poplar Penguins but there's no mention of where the track was.

http://www.cyclespeedwayhistory.org.uk/472.shtml

I have been looking at that site of defunct cycle speedway teams and I am surprised how many teams were about through the years up and down the country. It is a shame that there is still not more nowadays as compared to motor speedway you do not have any noise issues and also from a planning issue it is not as much ground etc.

I have been looking at that site of defunct cycle speedway teams and I am surprised how many teams were about through the years up and down the country. It is a shame that there is still not more nowadays as compared to motor speedway you do not have any noise issues and also from a planning issue it is not as much ground etc.

I think the estimate is that since its boom days of 1946 onwards there have been more than 2,500 cycle speedway teams. I am not sure how many there are these days.

I think the estimate is that since its boom days of 1946 onwards there have been more than 2,500 cycle speedway teams. I am not sure how many there are these days.

The site giving details of all known cycle speedway teams makes the total 2,722.

There is not that many now, I have got a handbook that has affliated teams, there might be some outside this possibly that do just training:

Astley & Tyldesley

Birmingham

Bretford

Bury

Colchester

Coventry

East London

East Newport

East Park

Edinburgh

Exeter

Filton

Great Blakenham

Heckmondwike

Hellingly

Hethersett

Horspath

Hull

Ipswich

Kesgrave

Leicester

Newcastle

Newport

North Park Racing

Norwich

Poole

Sandwell

Sheffield

Somersham

Southampton

Spixworth

Stockport

Stoke Whiterock

Swindon

Wednesfield

Hi all Bretford cycle speedway is just half a mile from Coventry speedway. We race in division three and have a meeting Saturday at 13.00

This shows cycle speedway action in Poland in the 2010 season. The initial battle for the lead is excellent racing.

Or what about the sport indoors?

Edited by raceleader
  • Like 1

It is a pretty cheap sport to start up in as most teams have spare bikes, bike helmets so as long as you turn up in a long sleeved top, bottoms and gloves you can give it ago. I bought some gloves and some goalkeeper bottoms myself as they have some padding on the knees and hip area incase fall off. Got a helmet today but did not cost alot from Halfords, dearest thing is buying the bike but you can get them from the website link below. I will prob get one after a few more goes and I am sure I want to take it up.

http://www.archie-wilkinson.co.uk/

I'm pretty sure Leicester had loads of teams in the late 50's/60's - around twelve or thirteen? When I was 13 my first boyfriend rode for the Syston Foxes. Blimey! So long ago. :shock:

Nowadays there is just one left - the Leicester Monarchs - previous club of the speedway promoter David Hemsley.

I'm pretty sure Leicester had loads of teams in the late 50's/60's - around twelve or thirteen? When I was 13 my first boyfriend rode for the Syston Foxes. Blimey! So long ago. :shock:

Nowadays there is just one left - the Leicester Monarchs - previous club of the speedway promoter David Hemsley.

LEICESTER MONARCHS

http://www.cyclespee...g.uk/1403.shtml

SYSTON FOXES

http://www.cyclespeedwayhistory.org.uk/1417.shtml

Edited by speedyguy
  • Like 1

Thanks speedyguy for the links, brings back good memories of my time with Leicester and Coventry and a few other teams, and some good pics from Leicester in the 60's, it's easy to forget just how many teams there were in local leagues as well as the national leagues.

The old days of cycle speedway have some incredible memories. I remember how teams used to meet at a central point, then cycle on in convoy causing traffic mayhem as they went to visit the away track. But that was all part of the fun in those days, and of coure many of the leagues were centralised so there wasn't really a long way to go to away matches. What I do remember especially in London was the problems some riders had in regard to the lines when the trams were still running. One area in particular that I remember is the junction at the 'Marquis of Granby' at New Cross in south London. This was a main junction point for crossover of trams and they even had an official to handle the switchover of lines for trams to continue on their correct routes.

The old days of cycle speedway have some incredible memories. I remember how teams used to meet at a central point, then cycle on in convoy causing traffic mayhem as they went to visit the away track.

With no brakes? :lol: