British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Guest mick ex leicester lions

Can anybody help

Can anybody help me out,iam looking for any videos of leicester loins,the wilson,plant years. My son is training to be a speedway rider and one of his bikes was Graham plants.It would be nice for him to see the bike in its day. cheers (old leicester fan) LEICESTER MAY BE COMING BACK

LEICESTER MAY BE COMING BACK

I very much doubt it with the council not on the side of Speedway. There is more chance of Long Eaton returning.

I'd be a bit worried about your son using an ex Graham Plant bike as well as his machinery was always rubbish. :P Showed so much potential when he first started - shame he never seemed to really achieve a great deal. My husband always reckoned he would be a World Champion one day.

My husband always reckoned he would be a World Champion one day.

Good for him Gem - it's always good to believe in yourself - did he rate Plantie highly too? :clown

The last meeting i went to thay were trying to get saffron lane stadium.

Ive got planties bike but ive put a 125 in it,my sons also got a 500 gm

For us non-locals, what sports currently ocupy Saffron Lane Stadium :?:

Mick, I think you`ll be struggling to find video`s from that era, I am amazed that any machinery has survived too, especially Graham Plants ! as Gemini said his bikes were awful, I remember one of his being painted a horrible deep red, wheels and all ! hope your son does well, and I also hope your right about the possibility of the Lions roaring again, Hey Gemini what would you do if it did happen ? surely you`d turn your back on those Bees in order to follow the Lions again ! ;-)

Kevin, I forgot, I was going to answer your question about Saffron Lane, It was a velodrome, an athletics track and also had football pitches, I think it`s dis used at the moment although I may be wrong about that, they once used the place for American football too !

Thanks Madbiker - let's keep our fingers crossed because it would be great to see the Lions roar again!

I also hope your right about the possibility of the Lions roaring again, Hey Gemini what would you do if it did happen ? surely you`d turn your back on those Bees in order to follow the Lions again ! ;-)

IF, and it is a very big if, Leicester ever returned I'm sure I would enjoy supporting them and the Bees as well. I was talking to someone at the Show yesterday who is (or perhaps was now!) a member of the group trying to get Leicester back and he says it will never happen. :-(

To answer your question though - years ago I used to go to Coventry and Long Eaton on a poxy Honda 50 so I'm sure I could manage it now in the comfort of a nice car on these new fangled things called motorways. (I love motorways.) :approve:

Kevin..Clever answer. :D

Thanks for all the info everybody,if anybody's interested there is a meeting of the leicester speedway supporters club on the 11/03/03 at 7:45 at the ukrainian church rooms on hinckley road leicester,i have to go to a meeting at brooksby so i car'nt make it.Thay have taken members of leicester council to a bee's meeting to show them what speedway is all about ?????

Cheers all.

Thay have taken members of leicester council to a bee's meeting to show them what speedway is all about ?????

This must have been a video evening at Brandon? ;)

A meeting at Brandon to show them what SPEEDWAY is all about !! they`ll come back and build a 30 yard straight that`s what it`s all about at Coventry :lol:

Thanks for all the info everybody,if anybody's interested there is a meeting of the leicester speedway supporters club on the 11/03/03 at 7:45 at the ukrainian church rooms on hinckley road leicester,i have to go to a meeting at brooksby so i car'nt make it.Thay have taken members of leicester council to a bee's meeting to show them what speedway is all about ?????

Cheers all.

I'd be interested to know which members (as a former leicester city councillor myself). from the venue I wonder if Roman one of them.

MAP

Looks a little too close to houses to me.

If I have the right place, but best of luck all the same.