British Speedway Forum
SHALEWAY69

Nz Gp , The Stand That Was Not So Grand!

NEW ZEALAND GRAND PRIX

Just returned from Auckland .A great meeting, terrific venue, good weather, fantastic hospitality. Let down by the fact that the viewing from the grandstand was dismal unless you were in the front or back grow you could only see the heads of the riders on the home straight. The organisers must look at this for next year. The bonus was the less you paid the better position you got.

The other factor was the organiser’s failure to publicy honour the New Zealand greats, Ivan Mauger, Ronnie Moore, Mitch Shirra and many others who were there but appeared to have been ignored.

This was a great shame as many New Zealanders were seeing speedway at Western springs for the first time for decades. The public recognition of past heroes would have been the icing on the cake. Albiet there was a wrap up in the progamme [good value at $10NZ] of the New Zealand heritage

I went to the meeting with former Hastings rider Peter Gilder who had raced at Western springs against Bryce Subritzy in 1953. We vacated the grandstand and searched for a spot of the first bend. When I said "make way for an old rider", the fans were so interested and made room for us. This made Peters day and I am sure if the champions had have been presented it would have been a wonderful tribute,to them, but there is always next year.

The veterans get together at the RSLclub on the Friday evening saw the biggest gathering of speedway folk I have ever seen, Ronnie Moore, Ivan Mauger, Mitch Shirra, Chris Harris John Titman, Bruce Croxon, Nigek Close, Bert Harkins, Jim Crowhurst, Martin Rogers, Bob Andrews, Steve Magro were just a few of the ones I met. Got Ronnie’s autograph.too.

A bonus for fans returning the Brisbane on the Emirates was the company of GP riders returning to Europe via Dubai

Ole fix that grandstand!!

Tony

Grandstand was apparently left over from the Rugby World Cup - great for seeing the try in the far corner but no good for us - I watched the starts on the little big screen before I wandered off in search of better viewing. The organises have offered to refund the difference between general admission and grandstand seating on presentation of a scan of a ticket, so they're obviously aware of the problem. Beer was cold but.

Did you try the Mussel Fritters?.

My husband definitely expected the great New Zealanders of the past to be presented to the crowd on tv and interviewed too.

THE grandstand was a major topic at the de-briefing. Incidentally, this has nothing to do with Ole Olsen. He is responsible for laying the track, nothing more.

The grandstand was erected during the week but there will definitely be something different in 2013.

• Like 1

My husband definitely expected the great New Zealanders of the past to be presented to the crowd on tv and interviewed too.

Why? Does he organise the program of events?

Nor did they give New Zealand's seven times national champion and wildcard entry Jason Bunyan special recognition?

Flippen 'ek! How dare they, in the 2012 GP not mention riders from a million years ago.

If they started listing greats of the past at GP's you'd never see any racing in Sweden, Denmark, Poland and GB. In fact GB has about 8 World Champions for them to bang on about, that's without any riders who've "only" made the podium. If Mitch Shirra should be getting a mention at Cardiff the meeting could take about 20 hours as they mention about 70-100 British riders!

And we have a thread else where asking why youngsters don't go to speedway, because frankly they don't car about someone who was riding in the 50's and 60's or even the 80s as in the case of Mitch Shirra.

Flippen 'ek! How dare they, in the 2012 GP not mention riders from a million years ago.

If they started listing greats of the past at GP's you'd never see any racing in Sweden, Denmark, Poland and GB. In fact GB has about 8 World Champions for them to bang on about, that's without any riders who've "only" made the podium. If Mitch Shirra should be getting a mention at Cardiff the meeting could take about 20 hours as they mention about 70-100 British riders!

And we have a thread else where asking why youngsters don't go to speedway, because frankly they don't car about someone who was riding in the 50's and 60's or even the 80s as in the case of Mitch Shirra.

But Trees' husband "definitely expected" it to happen. Surely on that basis it should have happened. It could have been just like the German GP of 07 where a plethora of ex champs where wheeled out before the meeting, it was pointless and boring and only served to detract from the atmosphere in the stadium.

The history of the sport is very important, why do you always have a dig at the past.Riders you are seing now, they will be in the past at some stage would it of hurt to make a fuss of the old stars that were there.I care about those riders,you talk some sense but when you are negative and posts like this i just dont see your logic in your negativity.

Surely on that basis it should have happened. It could have been just like the German GP of 07 where a plethora of ex champs where wheeled out before the meeting,

I think the difference is that NZ produced a phenomenal number of World Champions for the size of the country, and even more amazing was that they all came from around Christchurch which is itself a very small city.

Edited by Humphrey Appleby

The history of the sport is very important, why do you always have a dig at the past.Riders you are seing now, they will be in the past at some stage would it of hurt to make a fuss of the old stars that were there.I care about those riders,you talk some sense but when you are negative and posts like this i just dont see your logic in your negativity.

None of us go to GPs for a stroll down Memory Lane, sidney, we go to see the GP. One of the aspects of attending is that if you go to the various gathering-points and watering holes around the city you'll get to meet plenty of former and current stars of our sport. Quite why the stay-at-home viewers should demand to have a say in the programme of events escapes me.

I think the difference is that NZ produced a phenomenal number of World Champions for the size of the country, and even more amazing was that they all came from around Christchurch which is itself a very small city.

Bit like Mildura, eh, Humphrey!

Why? Does he organise the program of events?

Well if you don't understand why then that's a shame.

I think the difference is that NZ produced a phenomenal number of World Champions for the size of the country

Multi world champs at that, obviously they mean nothing to world championship speedway supporters now ....... oh dear!

Edited by Trees

Well if you don't understand why then that's a shame.

Oh I'm sorry, Trees. I fail to to understand why anyone would expect a parade of past champions at a current GP - I've been to a few and never seen it before, so what makes the difference with this one?

Perhaps you'd like to explain your reasoning for those poor misguided simpletons among us who actually attend and enjoy GPs and obviously aren't as clever as you, rather than responding with a snide remark?