British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Scunny Stag

67th Scunthorpe Speedway Amateur Meeting - Sunday 22nd April 1pm Riders From All Leagues Welcome In Open Class

After six hugely successful winter meetings the 22nd April marks the beginning of the summer amateur meetings at Scunthorpe. It is the 67th meeting at Scunthorpe since they started in January 2008 and also is the first round of the fifth summer championship.

There are classes for all standards from raw novice to Premier League reserve whilst there are three youth classes which run if there are entrants. The Youth 125 class has been very popular and with some of the riders moving into the 250 class we expect that to blossom in 2012. As the Youth 500 class is almost exclusively dealing with 14-year olds there aren't many participants but if there are riders who want to ride then we will put on the class; such is our commitment to British youth development.

Riders can ride in as many or as few meetings as they like and in particular I am taking bookings for the 22nd April.

Please e-mail me (richard@scunthorpespeedway.com), message me on Facebook (facebook.com/rh1967), text or call 07832-402167 to reserve a place or if you have any questions. If you call and I am unavailable (e.g. work) please leave a message and I will get back to you at the earliest opportunity.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For anyone who isn't aware our meetings provide at least five programmed rides and EVERYONE GETS TO RIDE IN A FINAL. There are trophies for the top three in each class and naturally we have a paramedic, first aiders and ambulance in attendance. One of the stadium cafes are always in operation and we have RM Race Spares (07403-334582) in attendance.

Riders do not need new silencers or mudguards and can ride on day licenses (with no additional charge).

Positions in all classes will be decided in the finals with every rider qualifying for one. THE WINNER OF EACH FINAL ADVANCES TO THE NEXT. (e.g. Winner of the 'E' Final advances to the 'D' Final etc. etc.).

The Open Class usually sees National League standard riders taking part along with those close to break into that league whilst the Novice Class includes riders from complete beginners to those who can usually get a full slide on. The Support Class is now seen as an intermediate class where riders can challenge themselves against better riders without making the full step up to the Open Class.

Summer Championship points are scored in the following manner: 16 points for 1st, 15 for 2nd etc down to 1 point for 16th (although that would be increased for all rounds if we had more than 16 riders for a class on one day). At the moment we are expecting five of the summer dates to be for the Summer Championship and riders will be able to drop one round for the championship so if all five rounds run then top four will count. If only four rounds run then it will be top three etc. etc. However, only riders who compete in the maximum number of rounds (four out of five or three out of four etc. will be eligible for championship trophies)

Helmet colours are required but can be borrowed (please give advance notice if possible) whilst dirt deflectors are compulsory on all speedway bikes except in the Novice and Youth 125s classes. If anyone has any questions then please just let me know.

The Summer Dates are:

Sunday 22nd April

Sunday 13th May

Saturday 16th June (probably a team meeting)

Sunday 8th July (team meeting with Southern Track Riders and probably Stoke)

Sunday 5th August

Sunday 9th September

Sunday 7th October

Edited by Scunny Stag

Made it to 34 so far. Bookings taken until Saturday morning.

Open:

Tommy Fenwick

Ross Walter

Max Clegg

Henning Loof

Gary O'Hare

David Holt

Daniel Phillips

Andrew Blackburn

Support:

Trevor Bebbington

Simon Pearce

Sean Phillips

Sam Darroch

Ryan Macdonald

Rachel Hellowell

Martin Pearce

Martin Knuckey

John Markham

Novice:

Wayne Gosling

Nathan Clare

Kraig Holt

Kevin Keay

Ivan Howarth

Hannah Kirtley-Paine

Greg Gosling

Derek Holt

Anthony Mulrine

Marty Rathbone

Youth 250:

Dan Miles

Youth 125:

Luke Woodhull

Luke Whitehead

Kean Dicken

Jack Parkinson-Blackburn

Macauley Leek

Ben Woodhull

Edited by Scunny Stag

Showers we can cope with (and they can be a positive if not too heavy); persistent rain is more of a problem. We will be looking at the rainfall radars tomorrow but eight years experience says it is way too early to worry too much about them now and we

I will produce the programme tomorrow and look at the forecast tomorrow afternoon/evening before working out what chance we have.

For now I'd like to remind riders in all leagues that they are welcome to compete in our meetings. We won't give trophies to PL riders with a five-point plus average but they are welcome to use our meetings for testing. Today I heard an NL rider had suggested that he wouldn't be allowed to race. On the contrary if you look down the roll of honour you will see plenty of PL standard riders and in recent times we have had the Worrall twins and Gary Irving take part and not only are they PL level and well acquainted with the EWR track but thay didn't always win.

So if anyone wants to join in on Sunday (be it to race or just get some track time) then call/text me on 07832-402167 on Saturday (preferably before 6pm, but right up to 10pm if you decide late) and I'll programme you in. There will be four or maybe even five qualifying riders before everyone gets a final.

Of course we are also still accepting entrants to the youth, support and novice classes too.

Lets have some speedway racing.

Richard

Scunthorpe Speedway Summer Championship Round 1:

Open Class:

Qualifying scores: Jerran Hart 15, Tommy Fenwick 10, Daniel Phillips 9, David Holt 6, Henning Loof 5, Andrew Blackburn 2.

Summer Championship points: Jerran Hart 16, Tommy Fenwick 15, Daniel Phillips 14, David Holt 13, Henning Loof 12, Andrew Blackburn 11.

Support Class:

Qualifying scores: Arron Mogridge 13, Lee Springthorpe 13, Rachel Hellowell 10 (4 rides), Martin Pearce 10, Simon Pearce 9, Trevor Bebbington 9, Sam Darroch 5, Sean Phillips 1 (3 rides).

Summer Championship points: Arron Mogridge 16, Lee Springthorpe 15, Rachel Hellowell 14, Martin Pearce 13, Simon Pearce 12, Trevor Bebbington 11, Sam Darroch 10, Sean Phillips 9.

Novice Class:

Qualifying scores: , Wayne Gosling 15, Kevin Keay 15, Mick Keeling 12, Marty Rathbone 11, Ivan Howarth 9, Greg Gosling 7, Hannah Kirtley-Paine 6, Derek Holt 6, Anthony Mulrine 4 (4 rides).

Summer Championship points: Wayne Gosling 16, Kevin Keay 15, Mick Keeling 14, Marty Rathbone 13, Ivan Howarth 12, Greg Gosling 11, Hannah Kirtley-Paine 10, Derek Holt 9, Anthony Mulrine 8.

Youth 250cc Class:

Qualifying scores: Dan Miles 15

Summer Championship points: Dan Miles 16

Youth 125cc Class:

Qualifying scores: Ben Woodhull 15, Jack Parkinson-Blackburn 13, Luke Woodhull 9, Macauley Leek 7, Luke Whitehead 6, Jamie Halder 1 (4 rides).

Summer Championship points: Ben Woodhull 16, Jack Parkinson-Blackburn 15, Luke Woodhull 14, Macauley Leek 13, Luke Whitehead 12, Jamie Halder 11.

The www.jbsportsimages.co.uk sponsored Rider of the Meeting award went to Simon Pearce who produced two of the best passes of the day before falling in his last ride.

Fantastic effort by Richard, Anne, Stuart, Rob, track staff and everyone else involved at Scunthorpe Speedway today to get the meeting on and 50 heats run. Track might have been a bit heavy and the finals washed out but it would have been much easier for the organisers to just give it up at 13:00. Thank you from the K-P's and I am sure from all the other riders for your endeavours, great day in the end, well done!

Fantastic effort by Richard, Anne, Stuart, Rob, track staff and everyone else involved at Scunthorpe Speedway today to get the meeting on and 50 heats run. Track might have been a bit heavy and the finals washed out but it would have been much easier for the organisers to just give it up at 13:00. Thank you from the K-P's and I am sure from all the other riders for your endeavours, great day in the end, well done!

Thank you for your kind words GKP!

I'm afraid there was a correction to the standings on Monday which needs to be posted here. I'm afraid I mis-read one of Wayne Gosling's winning times and it was in fact Kev Keay who claimed top sport in the Novice Class. Apologies to Wayne for that mistake.

The Novice Class should have read:

Qualifying scores: Kevin Keay 15, Wayne Gosling 15, Mick Keeling 12, Marty Rathbone 11, Ivan Howarth 9, Greg Gosling 7, Hannah Kirtley-Paine 6, Derek Holt 6, Anthony Mulrine 4 (4 rides).

Summer Championship points: Kevin Keay 16, Wayne Gosling 15, Mick Keeling 14, Marty Rathbone 13, Ivan Howarth 12, Greg Gosling 11, Hannah Kirtley-Paine 10, Derek Holt 9, Anthony Mulrine 8.

The full set of winning times are:

Open Class:

3 Jerran Hart 83.7

10 Daniel Phillips 69.3

15 Tommy Fenwick 65.6

22 Jerran Hart 63.0

27 Jerran Hart 59.0

32 Tommy Fenwick 61.7

38 Jerran Hart 58.2

45 Jerran Hart 58.1

Support Class

1 Arron Mogridge 70.5