British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Vicar

"moving" Riders In 60's In Gb

Wasn't Olle Nygren involved in a tussle when he first came over?Keep forgetting the details,but the club who wanted him were deemed too strong,so he was't allowed to sign for them

Glad to see someone mention Mike Keen-he was from MInety, does he still live there. A real rider control bummer was when they moved Peter Vandenberg from Newport to Wolves-in I think 1966(?)

He still lives there, so does Ian Anderson of Jethro Tull...friendly guy Keener. Modest Martin Ashby still has his motorcycle repair business in Marlborough. Someone said Hitchy is suffering from ill health. Think Pete Munday lives down New Forest area. Barry Duke still living in Penhill, dont know if he still does his motor-cycle display shows. Still plays table tennis, and was working as theatre technician at Oxford's Radcliffe Infirmary. Broady still attends some Robins matches. Crash on the terraces every meeting, even though he could sit in Legends Lounge.

Edited by keef

Wasn't Olle Nygren involved in a tussle when he first came over?Keep forgetting the details,but the club who wanted him were deemed too strong,so he was't allowed to sign for them

Not for his first appearance in UK, but in the '60s Nygren was in some dispute like that, but I think it was more about 'foreign riders', - Should they be allowed? - How many should be allowed,? - Should one team be allowed more than one foreigner? I think Olle was wanted by Norwich, who also already had Fundin, and should they be allowed 2 foreigners? Such was the debate. That he married to an English girl and was living in Norwich area added an extra dimension to the issue, and when foreigners were banned one year, (or just part of one year, !-BSPA relented,) he and Sjosten who also had an English wife were exempt.

Not for his first appearance in UK, but in the '60s Nygren was in some dispute like that, but I think it was more about 'foreign riders', - Should they be allowed? - How many should be allowed,? - Should one team be allowed more than one foreigner? I think Olle was wanted by Norwich, who also already had Fundin, and should they be allowed 2 foreigners? Such was the debate. That he married to an English girl and was living in Norwich area added an extra dimension to the issue, and when foreigners were banned one year, (or just part of one year, !-BSPA relented,) he and Sjosten who also had an English wife were exempt.

No,this was much earlier.Looking at Morrish's book it states that in 1951 New Cross wanted to sign Nygren,but this was turned down.He ended up with Harringay.A few years later the fact that Nygren couldn't be signed led to Mockford pulling the shutters down.Also read that because of clubs closing the riders were allocated to other clubs.Most were ok with the moves,but Split Waterman refused to go to Belle Vue

Edited by iris123