British Speedway Forum
SCOTLAND1314

Moto Gp, 2 And 3

At last its almost here !

1400 today BT Sports 2  live qualifying :)

A weekend of live speedway and motogp on TV and the internet

• Like 2

10 hours ago, jrs said:

At last its almost here !

1400 today BT Sports 2  live qualifying :)

A weekend of live speedway and motogp on TV and the internet

And MotoGP starts off where it finished last year with another different pole sitter in Bagnaia. Seems like all the young guns are turning again for this season. And well done the old boy Vale to make the second row. Roll on tomorrow.

Another surprise pole with Jorge Martin taking it this week with the other young guys just behind. They're making even Miller and Vinales look old these days, although Vinales made the front row this week. Shocking day for Rossi and Morbidelli and for Pol on the Honda.

Looks like another interesting race tonight

Edited by jrs
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, jrs said:

Another surprise pole with Jorge Martin taking it this week with the other young guys just behind. They're making even Miller and Vinales look old these days, although Vinales made the front row this week. Shocking day for Rossi and Morbidelli and for Pol on the Honda.

Looks like another interesting race tonight

Martin has taken to that Ducati very well and you can guarantee it will be a Ducati top 4 at the first corner.

Interesting to hear Vinales praise the work that Cal has done on the Yamaha.

It’s starting to get a bit embarrassing for Rossi which is a shame.

• Like 2

That was certainly something special in Moto3. It was a bit like the early days of Rossi and to watch sixteen year old Pedro Acosta start from pit lane and manage to claw his way through the pack and then edge away from Binder on the last lap and take the victory in only his second grand Prix, a bit sensational !  He's got something to live up to in the coming weeks.

• Like 3

Once again a shame John McPhee was taken out, 2 weeks in a row and neither his fault. If Acosta can get to the front of the pack from a pit lane start, and then make a break, I reckon John could make a break from a normal start, pull away, not be bothered again and get a win.  He may as well try a different plan because he probably too far behind points wise, even now, never mind taking into account next weeks pit start plus a -10 seconds penalty.  Its a pity he didnt get his promised Moto2 ride this year, its less cut and thrust then Moto3.  But there again Jake Dixon might not of got a Moto2 ride this year. He wasnt doing too well, but then picked up mide season and got his ride.

Valentino has been my favourite rider for so long, but he has outstayed his welcome. Seems the new machines and tyre sepecifications suit a fresh stle which the youngsters catch onto quickly. Last season was possibly one too many, this year is too painful to watch him.       

• Like 2

Looks like MM will be on the grid next week.

Another Brit in the Moto 2 race as Frasier Rodgers has got a ride.

• Like 2

Has anyone heard whether there will be spectators next week at Portimao? 

1 hour ago, dj350z said:

Has anyone heard whether there will be spectators next week at Portimao? 

No spectators allowed.

• Like 1

Good to see Marquez back on a bike yesterday,  though he looked shattered at the end of the race and only 13 seconds off the pace behind Quatararo, who's win takes him into the lead in the championship.

Sixteen year old Pedro Acosta again in brilliant form to take the moto3 race passing Foggia on the last lap.  Quite a start for the lad in moto championships with his first three race results being second,  first and first again yesterday and clear leader of the moto3 championship. It shows just how strong Spanish junior racing is these days. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jrs said:

Good to see Marquez back on a bike yesterday,  though he looked shattered at the end of the race and only 13 seconds off the pace behind Quatararo, who's win takes him into the lead in the championship.

Sixteen year old Pedro Acosta again in brilliant form to take the moto3 race passing Foggia on the last lap.  Quite a start for the lad in moto championships with his first three race results being second,  first and first again yesterday and clear leader of the moto3 championship. It shows just how strong Spanish junior racing is these days. 

Some great racing. it's a fantastic circuit! Had tickets and so gutted that there were no spectators! :(

• Sad 1

I've just started following MotoGP this year. I guess that makes me a spectator rookie!

With Natilie moving over to it and speedway soon to disappear down the black hole that is Eurosport, I thought I'd give it a go. Really enjoying it so far.

Can someone give me some idea of some form of speedway equivalent of Moto3 and what level that is. Pedro Acosta is remarkable. The kid still has braces on his teeth for God's sake! Are we seeing something along the lines of Michael Lee here?

• Like 1

Re Pedro Acosta, just 16, Sunday was his 3rd Moto3 race, 3 podiums, two wins. That’s amazing. I having difficulty comparing it to levels in speedway. The true comparison I can make is with Valentino Rossi when he burst on the scene. He was 2 years in 125cc (today’s equivalent is Moto1), champion in 2nd year. He moved up to 250cc for 2 years (today equivalent Mot2). Again 2 years and champion in 2nd year, moved up to 500cc (today’s MotoGP) and the rest is history. At the moment Acosta is doing better then Rossi, we see what the rest of the season brings. Even if he becomes champ this year I think it would be wise to keep him in Moto3 at least a second year to gain experience whilst being so young - and gain more muscle because all !Moto 2 bikes have Triumph 670cc engines.

MotoGP has change a lot over the years, was 500cc for many years, it’s been 1000cc, then down to 800cc, and back to 1000cc. To be successful you needed to be with Honda, Yamaha, Ducati factory bikes, and there was only 2 each team. So for a time we had “Aliens” as they were called. This was Rossi, Lorenzo (both Yamaha), Stoner, Pedrosa, Dovitziozo, (all Honda), [Dovi kept a Honda ride through legal proceedings], at one time Stoner was on Ducati, and that’s where Dovi eventually went to (up to last year), more recently Mark Marquez has joined the elite very top of the pole.   Over the last say 12 years the organisers (Donna) have made many rule changes to engines and bike engineering in general. What this has done has brought the performance of other teams closer to the top ones, meaning closer racing. Thus you now have Suzuki as world champion manufacturer and individual, and the like of KTM and Aprilia in the mix (this year particularly with Aprilia).

Sad there in no Brit in Moto Gp, only 3 in Moto2 and only 1 in Moto3.

I love any motorcycle racing, particularly the MotGP series 1,2 and GP, but speedway tops them all because races are short and therefore often exciting, especially at world championship level.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Grachan said:

I've just started following MotoGP this year. I guess that makes me a spectator rookie!

With Natilie moving over to it and speedway soon to disappear down the black hole that is Eurosport, I thought I'd give it a go. Really enjoying it so far.

Can someone give me some idea of some form of speedway equivalent of Moto3 and what level that is. Pedro Acosta is remarkable. The kid still has braces on his teeth for God's sake! Are we seeing something along the lines of Michael Lee here?

The only true comparison I could make for Acosta would be Valentino Rossi and he was fifteen when he started in motogp in 1995 i believe,  like Acosta an amazing talent at that tender age. You could also class Marc Marquez as another fast riser from what was the then equivalent of moto3 right through to his world titles.  I can't really think of anyone in speedway with a similar career. 

Acosta was European junior champion last year before moving up to moto3. I should think he'll do two years in moto3 before moving up to moto2  and then hopefully motogp ast twenty, and then the world should be his, as long as he gets the opportunity with the right team. Rumour has it the top teams are already talking to his management. It's a fabulous form of motorcycle sport to follow.  I find it fascinating to watch the moto3 guys really scrapping in races and then to follow their progress as they move upwards.  It was brilliant yesterday to watch Quatararo regain some form and win the GP and he is still only twenty one. 

The young ones who are lucky enough to get into the  RedBull programme at thirteen or fourteen are educated as well in the training scheme.  Amazing to see Acosta first interview and realise how fluent he is in English already. From a young age its almost a programmed career for them for the next twenty years or so if they've got the talent and escape very serious injuries. 

I hope you enjoy it Grachan 

46 minutes ago, jrs said:

The only true comparison I could make for Acosta would be Valentino Rossi and he was fifteen when he started in motogp in 1995 i believe,  like Acosta an amazing talent at that tender age. You could also class Marc Marquez as another fast riser from what was the then equivalent of moto3 right through to his world titles.  I can't really think of anyone in speedway with a similar career. 

Acosta was European junior champion last year before moving up to moto3. I should think he'll do two years in moto3 before moving up to moto2  and then hopefully motogp ast twenty, and then the world should be his, as long as he gets the opportunity with the right team. Rumour has it the top teams are already talking to his management. It's a fabulous form of motorcycle sport to follow.  I find it fascinating to watch the moto3 guys really scrapping in races and then to follow their progress as they move upwards.  It was brilliant yesterday to watch Quatararo regain some form and win the GP and he is still only twenty one. 

The young ones who are lucky enough to get into the  RedBull programme at thirteen or fourteen are educated as well in the training scheme.  Amazing to see Acosta first interview and realise how fluent he is in English already. From a young age its almost a programmed career for them for the next twenty years or so if they've got the talent and escape very serious injuries. 

I hope you enjoy it Grachan 

Like you, I am enjoying Moto3. I like its rawness and it's great watching riders knocking each other off and then having a fight!

I loved Acosta's interview when they asked him his race strategy, and he said it was to have fun until the last lap and then take the trophy.

I still need to get more familiar with most of the names, as I've never really watched it at all before. At the moment I'm sort of picking random riders to follow as the race goes on and watching the Grachan curse take hold of them!