British Speedway Forum
SCOTLAND1314

Moto Gp, 2 And 3

And this is Acosta first year in the GP’s. Poor John McPhee, got the rough end when a crash in front of him forced him wide putting him down to 11th.

Read today, Rossi has not announced whether he retiring or not, but Petronas have said they not waiting and looking at which youngster they could bring in and Xavier Vierge is being looked at, he rides for Petronas in GP2 and doing well this year. Could mean maybe Rossi’s only chance of a ride next year will be in his own team, VR46 which could well be with Ducati bikes.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, OveFundinFan said:

And this is Acosta first year in the GP’s. Poor John McPhee, got the rough end when a crash in front of him forced him wide putting him down to 11th.

Read today, Rossi has not announced whether he retiring or not, but Petronas have said they not waiting and looking at which youngster they could bring in and Xavier Vierge is being looked at, he rides for Petronas in GP2 and doing well this year. Could mean maybe Rossi’s only chance of a ride next year will be in his own team, VR46 which could well be with Ducati bikes.

Race One website has reported that Rossi is looking at a drive in the World Endurance Championship next year.

Makes sense if true, he ain't too shabby on 4 wheels. 

• Thanks 1

What do you guys think about what’s going on in practices. Particularly noticeable in Moto3, riders slowing down waiting for a tow etc, all the weaving going on flat out on the straights. This weekend the slowing down was also clear to see in MotoGP practice. It’s all getting too dangerous.

I think the ultimate solution of slowing down waiting for a tow, and I don’t want to see this, is qualifying be done individually, only the one rider on the track at a time. They do that on MotoE, not sure about World Superbike, I don’t watch practice for that (maybe because they do it and I got bored with it.  If that’s what DORNA has to do to stop it then it will make qualifying a whole day job as riders need to do an out lap-a fast lap-and slow down lap. Make viewing terribly boring, and crowds for a Saturday qualifying day would drop - less gate money. DORNA could get tough and incur long lap penalty in the race for anyone acting dangerously. But that could lead to loads of disputes.

The weaving in races on the straight, wow, the meeting at Barcelona other week, the Moto3 were weaving going so fast they were inches to colliding, and that was just a couple of weeks after a rider got killed. I know these kids are fearless, but lives are at stake. Who wants to see a dead hero. Again, DORNA needs to act quickly, perhaps make guilty ones start in the pit Lane at the next race. Spoils viewing though. Something needs to be done and quickly. Next meeting is in Assen, then it’s the summer break, that is the time DORNA needs to issue tough guidelines to stop this nonsense before it turns bad.

2 hours ago, OveFundinFan said:

What do you guys think about what’s going on in practices. Particularly noticeable in Moto3, riders slowing down waiting for a tow etc, all the weaving going on flat out on the straights. This weekend the slowing down was also clear to see in MotoGP practice. It’s all getting too dangerous.

I think the ultimate solution of slowing down waiting for a tow, and I don’t want to see this, is qualifying be done individually, only the one rider on the track at a time. They do that on MotoE, not sure about World Superbike, I don’t watch practice for that (maybe because they do it and I got bored with it.  If that’s what DORNA has to do to stop it then it will make qualifying a whole day job as riders need to do an out lap-a fast lap-and slow down lap. Make viewing terribly boring, and crowds for a Saturday qualifying day would drop - less gate money. DORNA could get tough and incur long lap penalty in the race for anyone acting dangerously. But that could lead to loads of disputes.

The weaving in races on the straight, wow, the meeting at Barcelona other week, the Moto3 were weaving going so fast they were inches to colliding, and that was just a couple of weeks after a rider got killed. I know these kids are fearless, but lives are at stake. Who wants to see a dead hero. Again, DORNA needs to act quickly, perhaps make guilty ones start in the pit Lane at the next race. Spoils viewing though. Something needs to be done and quickly. Next meeting is in Assen, then it’s the summer break, that is the time DORNA needs to issue tough guidelines to stop this nonsense before it turns bad.

I don't think bringing in "superpole" as was used in WSB, will work TBH. As much as slowing down and hanging around is becoming more of a problem, it's up to race direction to increase the severity of the sanctions they use, cos it's plain as day that long laps, ride throughs and pitlane starts aren't enough to deter repeat offenders. I always thought there was a penalty point system in place for misdemeanours, if there still is then they need to apply it. 3 strikes and you miss a round, simple as that. I'm sure the teams would ensure that "their boy" would keep his hooter clean if that were the case. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, OveFundinFan said:

DORNA need to get really tough on riders for doing it, I agree with you on pit lane starts, it would stop them doing it pretty quickly.

Disagree with the Jake Dixon punishment for the Assen race.

Missed hearing about a punishment. Presume this was where the other rider went down. What’s the punishment?

5 hours ago, OveFundinFan said:

Missed hearing about a punishment. Presume this was where the other rider went down. What’s the punishment?

Long lap penalty, the team appealed but it was rejected.

• Sad 1

Long lap penalty - seems like they try to loose about 3 seconds (though last weekend being a short track it was more like 1.5 secs). If Jake is having a good race and up at the sharp end I would wait till towards the end then losing 3 seconds would put him mid pack maybe. If he having a bad race then he may as well have stayed in bed. He not having a good year, not showing he is worthy of MotoGP but it seems DORNA want a Brit in the top class. It won’t be Sam Lowe, he has been there and come back to Moto2, and he too old to progress meaningfully now anyway, IMO.

• Like 2

Morbidelli out injured this weekend, no announcement if Crutchlow is replacing him yet.

• Like 1

Usually no replacements for first two meetings, then a team HAS to provide a replacement. With summer break after Assen it may be a chance to give Crutchlow an opportunity to race again, but there again, he could wreck a bike. It’s not as if they put Crutchlow in that he could help his team mate to retain or improve his championship position., but there again……… what’s the point, Rossi is having his worst year since entering the world championships.

It would be nice to see Cal tearing around the Cathedral this weekend.

He was decent around Assen. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Haywood said:

See it is Gerloff replacing Morbidelli this weekend

Yes, good to see a youngster given another chance. Shame it was not Toprak but he is sponsored by Red Bull so no chance of that happening.