British Speedway Forum
SCOTLAND1314

Moto Gp, 2 And 3

On 8/2/2021 at 4:00 PM, OveFundinFan said:

Is Rossi going to retire, or is he going to ride one of the Ducati’s in his own VR46 team?   I reckon he will be riding next year.  Wonder if we will find out over the weekend.

Rossi retires so we were both wrong, maybe his team has signed Vinales.

• Sad 2

4 minutes ago, Tim G said:

Rossi retires so we were both wrong, maybe his team has signed Vinales.

Did you listen to the press conference? Bit emotional for me i must say!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dj350z said:

Not yet but I will try and catch it later.

It makes me feel old as I remember watching him race on a 125cc before he moved through the classes. All you can say is the man had a stunning career and really help put Moto GP on the map.

I would think the Sam Marino round will be very emotional.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, dj350z said:

That's sad news,  but shocked because I thought the signs were that he would do another season. He'll be missed on track, but hopefully we'll see plenty of him off track. A real character who has brought serious competition and fun to the sport. 

Thought Morbidelli is moving to Vingnales seat at Yamaha when fit,  so maybe Petronas or a Ducati seat for him. 

Really am shocked overr Rossi news

Edited by jrs
  • Like 2

Remember watching Rossi in 1996(I think) for the first time,  and realising he was something special, especially after a hair raising GP at Brno. And a couple of years later at Donnington and his well remembered Robin Hood celebrations and many more in later years.  Hopefully they'll come up with a compilation of his early years to bring back those memories. They've been brilliant years. 

Edited by jrs
  • Like 1

It’s sad Rossi is retiring, what he has done for motor cycle racing is off the scale. I am another who has followed him from his early days and. He has set standards that will be hard to equal, never mind beat. Some races that come to mind - the on track battles with Max Biaggi, the battle with Casey Stoner at Laguna Sec on the Corkscrew in particular, the race in Phillip Island when he was hit with an in-race time penalty (something like 20secs) and he just turned the throttle, cleared off, left them all for dead. Amazing career. Yes sad, but then again I am glad, this last 12 months or so has been a struggle. They say he is going faster now then ever before, but he is well down the field. If that’s true then the youngsters are setting new heights which Rossi can no longer match. He will never be forgotten, the comments from other sporting superstars backs that up.  Even Casey Stoner states that his own world titles mean more because they were gained when Rossi was at the top.  

Onto yesterday’s races. Well deserved win from Jorge Martin. What with the injuries this year, he comes back, gets pole and wins the race.  I think with Rossi’s VR 46 team saying it is for developing Italian riders rules out Vinhales move there, Petronas is Yamaha based so I think that’s out, so looks like Aprillia, and that is not looking too bad - just some more development and it will be properly in the mix. I reckon Alex Espargaro will be wanting to get one over on Marc Marquez after that very hard move just after the start, I will be watching for it.
Moto2 was a dice but Bezecci deserved it in the end, the pressure was on Remy Gardner and he fluffed it. Raul Fernandez not at his usual best, and judging by what the BT commentators was saying he not too happy KTM have moved him up to Moto GP next year.               
Moto3 was won on choice of tyres. Track damp, drying but not quick enough for riders that chose slicks. It was left for Garcia and Acosta to slog it out at the front. Them 2 being so far in front that Garcia fell last corner, picked himself up and still finished second.

• Like 1

Definitely the correct decision for one of the Greatest of all Time.Time catches up.Good Luck in whatever he does now.

• Like 2

Will Vinales manage to last the season on Yamaha after today’s announcement?

Hopefully Cal gets the works ride this weekend.

I read somewhere today Cal will not be called up for this weekend.
Something going on behind the scenes, Vinhales dad says the management (not the team crew) have got it in for Vinhales. Yamaha says Vinhales could easily have wrecked and engine last weekend and put himself and others at serious risk of injury. I wonder what the truth is.?

No replacement this weekend but they have to have one for the next race. 

Sounds like Viñales was trying to deliberately blow the motor, Kocinski style. Not sure if he has just had enough and looking to get out this season early or what.

Franco into the works team early once he is fit again?

Edited by HenryW
  • Like 1

Seems there is turmoil in the GP series. Apart from what’s going on at Yamaha with Vinhales, just been reading Petronas withdrawing support from next year. The knock on effect is that the 2 bikes in each of Moto3 and Moto2 will be withdrawn, just leaving the bikes in MotoGP, but at the moment no one to ride them, and anyway, Yamaha are only supplying Standard M1’s, not works bikes. The other rift going on is that involving Raul Fernades. He signed a 3 year contract with KTM, he wants to do another year in Moto2, but KTM have assigned him to the MotoGP KTM team. He says he not ready for MotoGP yet, and wants to ride a Yamaha as it suits his style, he says. So who is going to fill the vacant MotoGP places, at least 3 world super bike riders have refused offers, wanting to stay where they are. Jake Dixon will lose his Moto2 ride as will Xavier Vierge, John McPhee will loose his Moto3 ride, but Darren Binder keeps getting mentioned for a ride straight from Moto3 to MotoGP on one of the Petronas Yamaha’s.  Strange times, no doubt we will learn more this weekend, or maybe it will still be cloudy.

7 hours ago, OveFundinFan said:

I read somewhere today Cal will not be called up for this weekend.
Something going on behind the scenes, Vinhales dad says the management (not the team crew) have got it in for Vinhales. Yamaha says Vinhales could easily have wrecked and engine last weekend and put himself and others at serious risk of injury. I wonder what the truth is.?

Vinhales  is no fulfilling his potential of a couple of seasons ago for some reason. Agree something not right behind the scenes.

Edited by Fromafar

Strange situation at Yamaha, especially to publicly criticise and suspend Vinales . Clearly there is something wrong on both sides. 

Vinales is too good a rider to lose from motogp and after reading Rossi's comments on the situation would VR46 offer him a seat for next year, though at the moment he maybe a bit too expensive. No doubt it will all pan out in the end. I imagine Dorna will have something to say about the situation. 

It makes me wonder if all the stress and disruption of logistics and covid-19 bubbles could be having an impact on the series. 

Edit!  Second thoughts he'll probably not go to VR46 as he's Spanish. 

Edited by jrs
  • Like 1

Enjoyed MotoGP today. It was a good race, and then it rained, which turned the race around and it was intriguing was the result was going to be.  Would have been good if Rossi would have his 100th podium, or Alex Espargaro got Aprillias first podium, it was all decided in the last lap, and sadly neither got their award.

Two weeks now to Silverstone.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, OveFundinFan said:

Enjoyed MotoGP today. It was a good race, and then it rained, which turned the race around and it was intriguing was the result was going to be.  Would have been good if Rossi would have his 100th podium, or Alex Espargaro got Aprillias first podium, it was all decided in the last lap, and sadly neither got their award.

Two weeks now to Silverstone.

Very exciting race - fair play to Brad Binder for staying out on track and taking a risk and it paid off! Yes, place would have gone mad if Vale had got a podium. Probably the closest he will come in his last season, great to see the other riders patting him on the back!

Edited by dj350z
  • Like 3