British Speedway Forum
SCOTLAND1314

Moto Gp, 2 And 3

9 hours ago, jrs said:

I thought Ogden did very well over the last couple of races and is now more or less on the pace of the front running pack. Once he gets used to that pace and the mayhem in the group he should start getting some better results, hopefully. And we're off again today at Jerez,  should be a good weekend with speedwayGp as well. 

This year I've become more interested in moto2 as the racing has been closer and competitive,  but it was incredible when they all went down like nine pins one after the other on Sunday. Believe the general opinion was another damp patch had appeared that caught them out. Thought it was very unfair that a lot of the guys weren't allowed to take part in the restart although they appeared to be ready to go. Jake really had a good chance of victory, but I often feel that he lacks concentration at times.

Overall another good weekends racing,  you could always dash over the border to wave the flag in Jerez on Sunday lol.

Yes, I hope Scott keeps up the performances and he will keep improving.

Moto2 is very competitive and quite exciting, a good in between of the crazy, frenetic Moto3 and the sometimes strung out MotoGP. I don’t think it could have been damp on the track causing the crashes as it hadn’t rained at all on the Sunday during the day unless it was coming up from underneath the track.

Jerez is an easy drive for here as done it a few times when my son was doing his pilot training there but sadly flying home on Sunday morning! 

• Like 1

Big news from Jerez, more to follow, but Suzuki are withdrawing from MotoGP at the end of the season. No reasons yet given but expanded news expected to follow.

Its reckoned Mir is on his way to Honda to ride with MM in 2023, meaning Pol out.           
I wonder if Aprilia can be persuaded to enter a second team, and/or Honda persuaded to do a third team. Dovi will retire anyway so a Yamaha free.

• Sad 1

Suzuki did not make a further news statement this morning, probably because DORNA made one saying all teams are under a contract and none can leave MotoGP unilaterally, meaning DORNA must agree as well. All teams entered a 5 year contract with DORNA, 2022 is the first year, ends 2026.         
Sounds like DORNA will allow Suzuki to leave as there are other teams interested in moving into MotoGP. Ie Leopard. DORNA say they will decide how big the MotoGP grid should be.

1 hour ago, OveFundinFan said:

Suzuki did not make a further news statement this morning, probably because DORNA made one saying all teams are under a contract and none can leave MotoGP unilaterally, meaning DORNA must agree as well. All teams entered a 5 year contract with DORNA, 2022 is the first year, ends 2026.         
Sounds like DORNA will allow Suzuki to leave as there are other teams interested in moving into MotoGP. Ie Leopard. DORNA say they will decide how big the MotoGP grid should be.

Wouldn’t be surprised if Suzuki run a team next year like Kawasaki did under the Hayate badge for one season as a compromise when they wanted to leave.

Seems the planned withdrawal is a real shock as Rins was told at Portimao that Suzuki wanted to keep him for the following year.

3 hours ago, Tim G said:

Wouldn’t be surprised if Suzuki run a team next year like Kawasaki did under the Hayate badge for one season as a compromise when they wanted to leave.

Seems the planned withdrawal is a real shock as Rins was told at Portimao that Suzuki wanted to keep him for the following year.

It happened a good few years ago when Suzuki wanted to leave, DORNA talked them into doing a year with one bike, the rider was Alvaro Bautista.

I would love to see Aprilia have another two bike team. Plenty of riders who can fill the places. In Moto2 Canet seems as if he would do well on a MotoGP bike. Possibly Jake Dixon, if he would just not try as hard and stay on the bike.

• Like 1

What’s going on with the Ducati riders?  As he already got a contract for next year you would think Bagnia would be more relaxed, but under pressure he tends to drop the bike, as yesterday. Miller on the other hand who is under pressure to hold his factory ride managed to keep his bike upright in the race which must have put him back in favour for holding his factory ride next year. Jorge Martin, on the other hand blows his chances by once again dropping his bike.  All the while Bastianini gets another win, on last years bike, which must give him a very strong chance of a factory bike.  Zarco, on his factory bike, promises the world but doesn’t quite deliver.

So who are the 2 main factory riders next year. Unless there is a get out clause for Ducati, it’s got to be Bagnia, and then Bastianini.  UNLESS Quartararo pinches a seat. I think he would do well in a Ducati.                     
It is very noticeable that Aleix Espargaro has not got his signature down on Aprillia paper work yet, mush to his frustration. Could Quartararo pinch a ride there, perhaps with Rins?           
So much going on. Apart from a top money earner, I wouldn’t be rushing to get on a Honda. Now even Marc Marquez can get it on the podium, never mind the other three Honda riders.  Going to be some losers at the end of the year. So many contracts up for renewal, plus another swathe of GP2 riders will be wanting to get in the top class.       
Sadly Jake Dixon might not be one of them. At the moment he doesn’t seem to be able to keep the bike upright.        
Pleased to see John McPhee coming back after a month, yesterday being his 2nd race of the season. A good steady race for him, finishing 12the (I think), not too far off the top group. He needs a ride next year, and it cannot be in Moto3 (he will be too old), so is there a place for him in MOTO2.??

Edited by OveFundinFan
  • Like 1

Any predictions for Mugello this coming weekend then? I think with that huge long straight it is going to favour the Ducati's and maybe the Aprilia's.

7 hours ago, dj350z said:

Any predictions for Mugello this coming weekend then? I think with that huge long straight it is going to favour the Ducati's and maybe the Aprilia's.

Bastianini will go close if the temperatures are high and it’s about time a Suzuki won a race.

Hopefully the racing is as good as last weekend’s WSB.

• Like 2

It looks like only 2 Yamaha’s on the grid next season so I doubt we will be seeing Toprak in Moto GP unless Morbidelli is given the boot.

• Like 1

Good to see John McPhee near the top of the timings in Moto3. Hope he keeps it up and does something useful on Sunday. This is his last year in Moto3, he needs a Moto2 ride for next year.           
Jake Dixon seems on the ball again in Moto2, hope he can keep his bike right way up and get a win on Sunday. That may well open up many more wins.

• Like 1

Just watching the practice for Barcelona GP.  To see Aprillia first and second is amazing. I give top marks to Alex Espargaro for sticking with and believing in the project of Aprilia. 
if I was Joan Mir I would try to get an Aprilia ride in the new second team, second team yes, but if he could get a factory bike looked after by a crew in the second team that would be great. Depends what money Aprilia and their sponsors have, Mir must be looking for £5 million, whereas Espargaro and Vinhales are on a £2 million two year deal. As a second rider in the second Aprilia team I would put Darren Binder. He was wild in Moto1but seems to have settled down in Moto GP, not crashing, which is important cost wise, but equally important is moving forward, and he is doing that at a good steady pace.

• Like 1

Anyone think that Andreas Mignon in Moto3 looks a bit like a young Greg Hancock?

2 hours ago, OveFundinFan said:

Just watching the practice for Barcelona GP.  To see Aprillia first and second is amazing. I give top marks to Alex Espargaro for sticking with and believing in the project of Aprilia. 
if I was Joan Mir I would try to get an Aprilia ride in the new second team, second team yes, but if he could get a factory bike looked after by a crew in the second team that would be great. Depends what money Aprilia and their sponsors have, Mir must be looking for £5 million, whereas Espargaro and Vinhales are on a £2 million two year deal. As a second rider in the second Aprilia team I would put Darren Binder. He was wild in Moto1but seems to have settled down in Moto GP, not crashing, which is important cost wise, but equally important is moving forward, and he is doing that at a good steady pace.

Mir’s original offer from Suzuki for 2023 was for less than he got paid for his rookie season and he had agreed to stay for the same money he was on for this season. I would be surprised if it was anywhere near £5 million.

Mir’s manager in an interview stated that quite a few riders are now offering or ride for free and make there money up from personal sponsorship.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tim G said:

Mir’s original offer from Suzuki for 2023 was for less than he got paid for his rookie season and he had agreed to stay for the same money he was on for this season. I would be surprised if it was anywhere near £5 million.

Mir’s manager in an interview stated that quite a few riders are now offering or ride for free and make there money up from personal sponsorship.

I had heard some riders are getting a lot less then couple years ago. I heard Remy Gardner on £100k.. The riders have raised it, jointly, with DORNA and Marq Marquez is verbally supporting them, he says he is surprised how little is being offered. I heard Mir has said he would stay at home rather than risk his life for peanuts. Fair do’s.

Quartararo is showing every ride he does what a class act he is. Not the fastest bike on the grid by far, but he has the ability to get the very best from it. Whilst he is very consistent, his opposition isn’t. For sure Bagnia today was unfortunate to be wiped out today, as was Rins, by Nakagami over riding and taking himself and those two out on the first bend… and getting away with it.           
Aleix Espargaro must have been extremely embarrassed with his last lap catastrophe. Possibly lost him the world championship this year.

• Like 1