British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
obrien48

Parallel Championships

Ok so I've had this idea rattling around in my head for a while and wanted to put it down...

Alongside the usual club league, there should be an individual championship. There I've said it!

Points would be scored in a GP style totalling up system over the course of the year based on your ride results in league meetings, then at the end of the year the top 12 (or something) can be brought together to create a new, refreshed British Championship Individual meeting.

As an add on to the regular meetings, the top eight scorers of the night will race off in 2 semis and a final (double points).

Doubling up/guests don't qualify for individual championship points, only when riding for your regular team. Also double points rides (in the league) count as normal for the individual championship.

Similar in essence to the way formula 1 has a constructors and a drivers championship.

Any thoughts about this?

As an add on to the regular meetings, the top eight scorers of the night will race off in 2 semis and a final (double points).

Like the old second-halves.

Idea is fine in principle, but the extra cost will be the prohibitive factor.

I Think the sport needs a competitive 2nd half! of any description?!?!?

Timed flying laps?

Timed lap from the tapes?

Staggered starts Stars against the average joe!

Would even give the riders time to test engine settings/gating/tyre pressures etc & check data/speed against the clock.

Speed guns could be used & prizes for fastest rider at the end of the straight.

With a good MC / Compere it could be fun ! different ! interesting !

M (again)

I used to enjoy the second-half races that followed the old eight a-side 14 heat matches.

The second-half was usually made up of four heats with the winners going into the final.

There also used to be a reserves race (the two from each side) and - sometimes - a novices scratch race.