British Speedway Forum
olddon

The Start At Crystal Palace

Here's an interesting snippet - of course via the web! - about Path Racing at Crystal Palace which ran before, then alongside speedway at Crystal Palace and had the same promoters. Path racing took place from 1927 until 1934, while speedway was there on a major basis from 1928 until the end of 1933.

http://palace-motorsport.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=toad2&action=display&thread=14

There's some well-known speedway riders who were also Path Racing riders in those pioneer days of track racing.

JACK KEEN,

ERITH, KENT

This looks like just the book for you, Jack: http://www.amazon.co...35280359&sr=1-4

Yes. The book is mentioned on the Crystal Palace Motorsport group. I will be getting my copy through Amazon anyway.

Thank you for the update. The front cover looks really impressive.

JACK KEEN,

ERITH, KENT

This looks like just the book for you, Jack: http://www.amazon.co...35280359&sr=1-4

Looks like another addition to my collection.As way of an introduction to speedways origins,any mention of how and when speedway first started? :t:

Looks like another addition to my collection. As way of an introduction to speedways origins,any mention of how and when speedway first started? :t:

Speedway started at Crystal Palace on May 19 1928...but speedway did not start on that date. That was years before at a venue far away from South London.

JACK KEEN,

ERITH, KENT

Actually, Jack, thinking about it, you probably won't like my book at all as I did a lot of my research in contemporary newspapers and magazines (local and trade), programmes, scrapbooks etc. I hardly used any second hand references from other books or web sites, so it's probably very inaccurate. No doubt when it's out you'll correct me with some links to a few modern web sites.

• Like 2

Actually, Jack, thinking about it, you probably won't like my book at all as I did a lot of my research in contemporary newspapers and magazines (local and trade), programmes, scrapbooks etc. I hardly used any second hand references from other books or web sites, so it's probably very inaccurate. No doubt when it's out you'll correct me with some links to a few modern web sites.

Oh dear! The anticipation of a criticism in advance by me. Rather than have that happen I'll just not buy a copy of the book now and thus avoid making favourable (!) or critical remarks about it. But I hope that others do buy the Crystal Palace speedway book and enjoy it.

JACK KEEN,

ERITH, KENT

I'll just not buy a copy of the book now.

JACK KEEN,

ERITH, KENT

That's the sort of thing my five year old grandson says to me when I get the rules of one of his games wrong. "I won't play with you any more, granddad...."

The History of Crystal Palace is now out. Available from Amazon and all good book sellers: http://www.amazon.co...&pf_rd_i=266239

Nice to see you back on the Forum Norbold. You have been missed. :approve: :approve:

Have just recieved my copy of "Crystal Palace Speedway" (A history of the glaziers) by Norman Jacobs.

The front cover invites the reader in to what is IMO a very well researched and written book that keeps the readers interest all through. Many photos, some of which I have never seen before. From my perspective one of Norman Jacobs best books. Enjoy ;)

Edited by Nigel