British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
speedy bill

Tim Webster

i am disgusted by tim webster leaving Buxton in the sh how are they supposed to get a replacement at this time when all riders are already signed up.WY did he sign in the first place he has never done anything on his visits before he as just proved he is not worth signing by any team .He was even named as captain what was that all about,surely Felton is the only obvious choice ,i just cant think who they can get to fill the place left by websters selfish move i just hope they can sort it out surely he could have ridden a few meetings before he buggered off anyway good riddance.

• Like 1

i am disgusted by tim webster leaving Buxton in the sh how are they supposed to get a replacement at this time when all riders are already signed up.WY did he sign in the first place he has never done anything on his visits before he as just proved he is not worth signing by any team .He was even named as captain what was that all about,surely Felton is the only obvious choice ,i just cant think who they can get to fill the place left by websters selfish move i just hope they can sort it out surely he could have ridden a few meetings before he buggered off anyway good riddance.

Not a fan then I guess, BW Double?

It did surprise me when I read about it in the Star this morning, especially the reason given.

Many riders have gone to tracks they have previously struggled at to become better riders. Some have been successful at it, others haven't.

It's a shame it's not worked out for Webster and Buxton, but hopefully Buxton can sign up a decent heat leader in his place.

I don't think a lack of riders would be a problem. The NL went from 10 to 8 teams during the winter, so in theory there should be a good dozen or so riders available (most are decent reserves, or second strings though), but judging from what was written in the Star, getting a heat leader to ride for £10 a point is a bigger issue.

There are riders out there though. IOW have recently signed Kyle Hughes as a temporary replacement, and I imagine he has a similar average to Webster.

There's also one of R Worrall/Birks/McKinna, or whoever Stoke don't have in the side at the moment.

Have Allott/Taylor/Hargreaves/Courtney/Evans all retired?

There's also one of R Worrall/Birks/McKinna, or whoever Stoke don't have in the side at the moment.

Have Allott/Taylor/Hargreaves/Courtney/Evans all retired?

That would be McKinna at Stoke (I think...I'm pretty sure it changes soon to have Birks and Worrall in!)

Also, for Tim, and this is no slight against Buxton, but do you think he could make ends meet on 10p per mile? Given that he has a near 500 mile round trip (At a rough estimate), so assuming he gets 30mpg out of his van, he is £25 out of pocket before he races. Unfortunately, maybe the sums didn't add up for him?

Just as a caveat to this post, this isn't a slight against Buxton or against Tim, just a potential reason!

I'm very disspointed too by Tim Websters decision. I hope it doesn't impact on them too harshly. I'll be supporting Buxton as often as I can and my wish is supporters old and new can help them through tough times.

Also, for Tim, and this is no slight against Buxton, but do you think he could make ends meet on 10p per mile? Given that he has a near 500 mile round trip (At a rough estimate), so assuming he gets 30mpg out of his van, he is £25 out of pocket before he races. Unfortunately, maybe the sums didn't add up for him?

There are 2 other buxton riders that travel the same distance (ryan blacklock and richard andrews) on the same 10p per mile £10 per point. Tim must of known all this before he signed for buxton and asked to be captain ?

tim new when he signed how far it was from his home to buxton so why sign in the first place.buxton have been left in a bad place because all heat leaders are signed up.if he wouldn't have signed in the first place buxton would have had a chance to sign another rider before they had all been snapped up.i dont think stoke will let birks or worrell go and i think mckinna rides at newcastle on a sunday so he would be no good as buxton run sundays so webster as left them in a mess thank you tim

• Like 1

tim new when he signed how far it was from his home to buxton so why sign in the first place.buxton have been left in a bad place because all heat leaders are signed up.if he wouldn't have signed in the first place buxton would have had a chance to sign another rider before they had all been snapped up.i dont think stoke will let birks or worrell go and i think mckinna rides at newcastle on a sunday so he would be no good as buxton run sundays so webster as left them in a mess thank you tim

McKinna doesn't have a club. Newcastle's reserves are the Worrall brothers.

As for signing at the first place, if it was Buxton or nothing, I'm not surprised he chose Buxton.

• Like 1

Just as a caveat to this post, this isn't a slight against Buxton or against Tim, just a potential reason!

The financial aspect is of course true, Vog, but to be the best of my knowledge, Buxton haven't moved their track during the winter, so it was always going to be the case! Surely he would've thought that through before signing?

Making ends meet in the NL is virtually impossible @ 10/10 (per point/per mile) unless you have excellent sponsors, or extremly deep pockets. However, it is a good apprenticeship, and for 99% of riders it is necessary to move onto the next level.

It was calculated by a PL rider during last season that when taking into account all of the costs involved, you aren't breaking even until you're a 5pt PL rider.

It's a costly sport, sadly.

Hopefully Buxton can get another rider slotted in in the near future.

• Like 1

The financial aspect is of course true, Vog, but to be the best of my knowledge, Buxton haven't moved their track during the winter, so it was always going to be the case! Surely he would've thought that through before signing?

Making ends meet in the NL is virtually impossible @ 10/10 (per point/per mile) unless you have excellent sponsors, or extremly deep pockets. However, it is a good apprenticeship, and for 99% of riders it is necessary to move onto the next level.

It was calculated by a PL rider during last season that when taking into account all of the costs involved, you aren't breaking even until you're a 5pt PL rider.

Maybe they could tempt Mark 'Buzz' Burrows into a come-back? And there's also Barrie Evans - but probably too far for him to travel for home meetings?

As I said, if the choice is Buxton or no team, maybe he felt like he had to ride?

I would think Buxton will get a rider, potentially McKinna, although riders such as Jay Herne, Jack Hargreaves, Barrie Evans, Adam Allott etc could all be available. (Although that reads as a who's who of former Stoke riders...)

.He was even named as captain what was that all about,surely Felton is the only obvious choice ,

Not sure about that i know who i would make captain.Shame Tim didnt give it more time as it seems like a good home track if you can learn the way around.

He can score on other tracks and he would have at Buxton in time, seems like a poor decision unless he already has a new team sorted.

Junior

Thats a very good point MrMungo,it may be tough to do but thats how it is

Tim's away average last season was not a true reflection of his abilities, but his away average appears to be the reason Stoke released him, even though his cma was considerably better at the end of the season than the beginning.

As far as I am aware, he wan't offered any help by Stoke to find a new club, he was simply informed he wasn't wanted anymore, a fate that has befallen many other riders over the years, cast out, often by telephone, yet supporters don't think this is selfish?

At that time, I believe finding another club wasn't easy and Buxton offered him a place.

He was unable to practise at Buxton and overcome his apparent shortcomings at that track and it appears highly likely that he would have reversed his averages this season by having good away scores and rubbish home scores because of the lack of opportunity to ride there apart from racedays.

He hasn't, to the best of my knowledge signed for anyone else, so whilst it does leave Mrs. Moss in a predicament, if he had returned scores of four or less all season the supporter base would have been right up his back with armchair criticism and would be abusing Mrs. Moss for ever signing him at all.

One other thing BW Double, I read recently that at Buxton's only home match so far this season, they had to water the track several times during the meeting.

Strangely, I don't remember this happening, but I do remember the toilets had no water to wash your hands and I was told that there was no water to shower with either.

Care to comment on that?

I love it when bw double gets worked up and starts posting multiple threads about the same thing. All in his unique, barely literate, manner.

• Like 1