British Speedway Forum
wizzer

Newport Speedway Fans Help!

Due to the news today about the stadium being sold a decision has been made to cancel the meeting on Sunday.

It's been a hard decision to call it off we have all so desperately wanted for it to continue but unfortunately it's been taken out of our hands now.

:sad: , :sad: and double :sad: . Well I guess thats it then......unless some forward thinking individual with Speedway in his blood is the "buyer". How swiftly the sale went ahead once the meeting was planned. Have fond memories of QM and will miss the meeting this year following GP day.

Where was the news of the sale posted?? in the press, newspaper of the area? Is it definate or a smokescreen to put off any ideas of reopening?

:sad: , :sad: and double :sad: . Well I guess thats it then......unless some forward thinking individual with Speedway in his blood is the "buyer". How swiftly the sale went ahead once the meeting was planned. Have fond memories of QM and will miss the meeting this year following GP day.

Where was the news of the sale posted?? in the press, newspaper of the area? Is it definate or a smokescreen to put off any ideas of reopening?

It's come from the owners Sydney and London via a well respected Newport fan. He's hoping to get confirmation of the buyer from S&L on Friday.

I guess all we can do as speedway fans now is hope that a speedway fan has won the lottery in the last week and has bought the stadium.

I know 'Snackette' said at the start of the Mallets pulling out that there needed to be an action group activated immediately to have a chance of saving the Speedway. He was referring to the saving of Ipswich Speedway in the past. The trouble was, Newport didn't have the same profile in the town that Ipswich have. But in hindsight, I think perhaps Snackette was right and it needed a giant push from the start.

But in hindsight, I think perhaps Snackette was right and it needed a giant push from the start.

Sorry Ray, he was wrong

MCL LOGISTICS are the company that will be using the site as there Central Hub.

Transport/Haulage....Mallet type business.

Transport/Haulage....Mallet type business.

Perhaps they will rent the track out? :party:

Perhaps they will rent the track out? :party:

This is not a Mickey Mouse operation, unlike the Mallets, according to their website. Therefore, sadly, I imagine they will want the ground cleared and tarmac'ed. End of the road for Welsh Speedway, I am sorry to say. I feel sorry for Tim Stone's vision. It is a pity he got 'into bed' with L&S and didn't search for a co-promoter with financial standing. All water under the bridge now. Sorry Newport fans.

MCL LOGISTICS are the company that will be using the site as there Central Hub.

Phil posts elsewhere that the site will be flattened and that MCL will build their own facility on the land.

I've got no problem with that, they saw a plot available and bought it. It's about business and that's the way the cookie crumbles.

What I do think though is that this episode shows just how poor (ie how much cash there is in it rather than how good or bad it is) speedway is in this country.

Here we have a recently constructed purpose built speedway facility that can be used without restriction being bulldozed because it became a liability to the owners.

The sport as a whole operates at the fag end of the spectrum and appears to not have two pennies to rub together. It's a sad indictment of the way things have gone over the last generation where Britain doesn't have any riders feasting at the top table. Scott, Chris, Lee (God rest his soul) display(ed) moments of brilliance but no world champion for 12 years and the previous one 8 before that and no chance of getting together a team capable of winning the world cup for over 20 years.

I don't know the definitive reasons for this but a centre of excellence, hint..the stadium in Newport, owned and run by the BSPA and let out to the local club for rental income etc could have gone some way to getting young lads infinite amounts of track time in order to find our future champions. All for the sake of less than a million quid......about the same amount as Wayne Rooney grosses in a month with his club.

Instead, we have a sport that is enjoyed by fewer people each year and run by a collective made up of people with partisan agendas. There is no big plan, there is no leadership, it is dying on its feet.

What a bloody waste :mad:

Phil posts elsewhere that the site will be flattened and that MCL will build their own facility on the land.

I've got no problem with that, they saw a plot available and bought it. It's about business and that's the way the cookie crumbles.

What I do think though is that this episode shows just how poor (ie how much cash there is in it rather than how good or bad it is) speedway is in this country.

Here we have a recently constructed purpose built speedway facility that can be used without restriction being bulldozed because it became a liability to the owners.

The sport as a whole operates at the fag end of the spectrum and appears to not have two pennies to rub together. It's a sad indictment of the way things have gone over the last generation where Britain doesn't have any riders feasting at the top table. Scott, Chris, Lee (God rest his soul) display(ed) moments of brilliance but no world champion for 12 years and the previous one 8 before that and no chance of getting together a team capable of winning the world cup for over 20 years.

I don't know the definitive reasons for this but a centre of excellence, hint..the stadium in Newport, owned and run by the BSPA and let out to the local club for rental income etc could have gone some way to getting young lads infinite amounts of track time in order to find our future champions. All for the sake of less than a million quid......about the same amount as Wayne Rooney grosses in a month with his club.

Instead, we have a sport that is enjoyed by fewer people each year and run by a collective made up of people with partisan agendas. There is no big plan, there is no leadership, it is dying on its feet.

What a bloody waste :mad:

But in truth if we take the take the speedway fan aspect away the truth is almost the opposite. This was a prime piece of land with 1001 potential good uses being used only 20 or 25 days a year and then by only a handful of people. It is why I find it strange, to the point of being unbelievable, that the council are prepared to allow a prime piece of Manchester land to be used for a speedway stadium.

But in truth if we take the take the speedway fan aspect away the truth is almost the opposite. This was a prime piece of land with 1001 potential good uses being used only 20 or 25 days a year and then by only a handful of people. It is why I find it strange, to the point of being unbelievable, that the council are prepared to allow a prime piece of Manchester land to be used for a speedway stadium.

Do you actually like speedway?

Edited by Angus Kix Lives