British Speedway Forum
wizzer

Newport Speedway Fans Help!

The Malletts have said how devastated they were by the closure of Newport Speedway, so one would presume they`ll also be registering their objections with the council.

Wizzer

Does a petition passed round at each track and signed by the supporters hold any sway, as I know in the past they have been signed by a lot of people.

If it would do any good, I am sure a request to every club would be taken up.

Still need to send individual letters as well, have sent mine.

I wonder if we could ask Nigel Pearson to give our cause a mention on the Sky Sports GP coverage from Leszno tonight and Wolverhampton on Monday?

I presume Phil will be in Leszno this weekend and would be able to update and advise Nigel.

I believe Nigel is a regular Twitter user but not sure about Phil.

I don't have (or know how to use) Twitter but there may be someone looking in who does and could get a message to Nigel? (ftb? if you're looking in)

Just a thought?

Thanks

Mark

I am forwarding on to Nigel ..and have sent details to the Speedway Star hopefully for inclusion next week.

I am forwarding on to Nigel ..and have sent details to the Speedway Star hopefully for inclusion next week.

Thanks Laurence...I was just trying to work out how to start and run a twitter account from a pc...modern technology eh!!

Edited by markpoulton

I have been told by a very good source that Ikea are looking at QM for a new store, they are also looking at the vacant mega bowl complex, which would be a better

venue for them. The owners have applied for Planning on the strength of them buying the land, its worth more money if flattened ,the chances are they will leave it standing if ikea pull out ,our best hope is for ikea to opt for the megabowl . I shall have word with the local councillor ( Jon Richards ) we drink in the same club and he happens to be on the planning commitee :lol:

Wizzer

Does a petition passed round at each track and signed by the supporters hold any sway, as I know in the past they have been signed by a lot of people.

If it would do any good, I am sure a request to every club would be taken up.

Still need to send individual letters as well, have sent mine.

From what I remember of my limited dealings with council planning departments, a petition is counted as one objection regardless of how many signatures are on it.

So convincing 2 people to write letters is twice as effective as 1 petition of 10,000 signatures

• Like 1

......So convincing 2 people to write letters is twice as effective as 1 petition of 10,000 signatures

Absolutely correct, and even more effective are letters from residents within the locality.

Whilst letters from all over the country will undoubtedly add weight to any argument, the most powerful form of objection (and the type of protest that will be treated more seriously) is that from local people.

Remember the local planning committee have councilors that are responsible to (and elected by) their local community. Consequently letters from South Wales are enevitabley going to receive greater credence, than those from Workington, Birmingham, Ipswich, Glasgow etc.

Whilst I wouldn't discourage anyone from lending their support to this very worthy cause, I would have thought that canvassing mass support from the local community is by far the best way forward. For those who are passionate for the cause, and want speedway to survive in South Wales, should be knocking on doors galvanising support, encouraging them (the members of the community that are going to be directly effected by this decision) to write to the council.

I have read the recent on-line editions of both the Argus and the Western Mail, and sadly I could find no mention of the issues involved.

It does rather beg the question are there sufficient people in South Wales who are bothered, one way or the other?!!

Edited by Mr Snackette
  • Like 2

I have read the recent on-line editions of both the Argus and the Western Mail, and sadly I could find no mention of the issues involved.

You keep mentioning the Western Mail and I keep telling you, thats a National paper, it won't mention speedway any more than the Daily Mail, Telegraph, Mirror etc. The Argus has always given excellent coverage to the sport and I'm sure they'll be backing this campaign.

A 30 second look at the site found this, in the top 10 most read articles this week, http://www.southwale...olished/?ref=mr, -Kind of goes against your theory that the people of South Wales don't care!

Edited by SCB

It does rather beg the question are there sufficient people in South Wales who are bothered, one way or the other?!!

It is in the Argus on-line edition http://www.southwalesargus.co.uk/news/9673662.Newport_Speedway_stadium_could_be_demolished/?ref=ms

...and yes there are plenty of people in South Wales who are bothered by this.

Here is the link for everyone to offer their supportive comments...all are encouraged to add a comment in attempting to stop the demolition of the stadium and allow it to be taken over by professional people who will continue with Speedway at the stadium.

http://www.newport.gov.uk/fastWeb/fulldetail.asp?AltRef=12/0375&ApplicationNumber=&AddressPrefix=&submit1=Go

The comment button is at the bottom of the link.

Thank you for your anticipated support...from a fellow speedway fan..

• Like 1

You keep mentioning the Western Mail and I keep telling you, thats a National paper, it won't mention speedway any more than the Daily Mail, Telegraph, Mirror etc. The Argus has always given excellent coverage to the sport and I'm sure they'll be backing this campaign.

A 30 second look at the site found this, in the top 10 most read articles this week, http://www.southwale...olished/?ref=mr, -Kind of goes against your theory that the people of South Wales don't care!

The Western Mail is no more a national newspaper than the EADT. Both are regional daily newspapers with a similar similar remit. Yes I saw the Argus article, but it made no mention of any campaign.

Are people going door to door canvassing support, and if so why isn't this being reported?

I repeat, that by far the best way to get a positive response from the Council, is to generate a groundswell of local public opinion in support of the cause. It will take some effort, but if people want it badly enough they can make it happen!!

The Western Mail is no more a national newspaper than the EADT. Both are regional daily newspapers with a similar similar remit. Yes I saw the Argus article, but it made no mention of any campaign.

So a newspaper that calls itself, "the national newspaper of Wales" and reports on stories from all over Wales is not a national paper because you say so? Right, ok.

The only speedway you ever get in there is a big Cardiff weekend. It's always been the case.

Edited by SCB

So a newspaper that calls itself, "the national newspaper of Wales" and reports on stories from all over Wales is not a national paper because you say so? Right, ok.....

No, not because I say so, but because the ABC lists it as a regional daily newspaper, along with such publications as the Yorkshire Post and EADT.

But then again I'm sure you know better than the ABC!!!

All we are asking is that fellow speedway supporters offer their support by clicking on the comment button at the bottom of this link and penning a few words of objection. UK speedway is a small community and it would be nice to think we would all help each other in our hour of need. The clocks ticking...

http://www.newport.gov.uk/fastWeb/fulldetail.asp?AltRef=12/0375&ApplicationNumber=&AddressPrefix=&submit1=Go

No, not because I say so, but because the ABC lists it as a regional daily newspaper, along with such publications as the Yorkshire Post and EADT.

But then again I'm sure you know better than the ABC!!!

Yes, as in a region of the UK. But it's for all of Wales.

All we are asking is that fellow speedway supporters offer their support by clicking on the comment button at the bottom of this link and penning a few words of objection. UK speedway is a small community and it would be nice to think we would all help each other in our hour of need. The clocks ticking...

Indeed, and as I said at the outset, I wouldn't discourage anyone to lending their full support.

However it would be much better, and carry far more weight, if say 10,000 letters from local people were sent to the council. Local councilors are more likely to act if they think they might be risking votes at the next election.

• Like 1