British Speedway Forum
wizzer

Newport Speedway Fans Help!

Maybe the landlords don't want speedway there?

Maybe the landlords don't want speedway there?

Maybe Matt....could be the same issue GRA had with Oxford, fed up with being messed about by Speedway promoters who pull out.....(from running Speedway!)

Maybe Matt....could be the same issue GRA had with Oxford, fed up with being messed about by Speedway promoters who pull out.....(from running Speedway!)

It's happened once, not really enough for them to get "fed up" about.

Probably more they bought the land with the intention of one day selling it on to be redeveloped and with the Malletts giving up on speedway it was the ideal opportunity.

If I was the owner of the site and I had a great offer from a large retailer I'd take the money and run... Like it or not speedway in this country makes very little if no money at all. The land owners would be mental not to take the best offer. Newport speedway fans can object all they like, big business usually wins out in the end I'm sorry to say.

Edited by Shadders

If I was the owner of the site and I had a great offer from a large retailer I'd take the money and run... Like it or not speedway in this country makes very little if no money at all. The land owners would be mental not to take the best offer. Newport speedway fans can object all they like, big business usually wins out on the end I'm sorry to say.

Spot on... like all i hope Phil the best of luck but from the owners point of view your have to be mad not to sell

Well, the report in the Speedway Star this week certainly puts the whole situation in perspective.......thanks for your comments Phil!

Link to the planning application below, you can view all the related documentation by clicking on the relevent tabs at the bottom of the page.......I found the wildlife report to be a little bit 'matter of fact' and inconclusive - the assesment was carried out from the car park due to the stadium being locked.......I've seen many a swallow and bat at dusk flying in and out of the stadium roof! Would their presence have any bearing on the application and proposed demolition?

http://www.newport.gov.uk/fastWeb/fulldetail.asp?AltRef=12/0375&ApplicationNumber=&AddressPrefix=&submit1=Go

For those who are experiencing problems sending e-mails I have included the full postal address below:

As previously mentioned, you can state that there are interested parties willing to carry on with speedway at the Venue.

Planning Application Number: 12/0375

E-mail to : planning@newport.gov.uk

Or send letters to :

Regeneration & Regulatory Services

Newport City Council

Civic Centre

Newport

NP20 4UR

THE DEADLINE FOR SPEEDWAY FANS TO LODGE OBJECTIONS IS THURSDAY 10TH MAY!

PLEASE HELP OUR CLUB BY DOING THIS, THE MORE OBJECTIONS THE BETTER - SUPPORTERS OF NEWPORT SPEEDWAY CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE - SOS - SAVE OUR SPEEDWAY!!! 196747.gif

If I was the owner of the site and I had a great offer from a large retailer I'd take the money and run... Like it or not speedway in this country makes very little if no money at all. The land owners would be mental not to take the best offer. Newport speedway fans can object all they like, big business usually wins out on the end I'm sorry to say.

But there is no offer to buy, the planning application says they want to level it and there are NO plans to redevelop the land.

But there is no offer to buy, the planning application says they want to level it and there are NO plans to redevelop the land.

Would it be easier to obtain planning permission to build on an open piece of land rather than land that has a derelict stadium on it?

Edited by Shadders

Would it be easier to obtain planning permission to build on an open piece of land rather than land that has a derelict stadium on it?

But they need permission to demolish the stadium in the first place anyway, so all they're doing now is splitting the process in two, that surely cannot make things easier.

I'd have though as long as someone is willing to use the stadium for it's correct use, the council will be against knocking it down anyway, I hope so.

I'd have though as long as someone is willing to use the stadium for it's correct use, the council will be against knocking it down anyway, I hope so.

Me too!

All we are asking is that fellow speedway supporters offer their support by clicking on the comment button at the bottom of this link and penning a few words of objection. UK speedway is a small community and it would be nice to think we would all help each other in our hour of need. This is ours. The clock is ticking...we have until May 10 to convince Newport City Council not to allow demolition of Newport Speedway Stadium. Your support is appreciated!

With you all the way Phil...

http://www.newport.gov.uk/fastWeb/fulldetail.asp?AltRef=12/0375&ApplicationNumber=&AddressPrefix=&submit1=Go

Edited by markpoulton

As Phil has stated in Speedway Star, Sydney and London were very co-operative and keen for speedway to continue when it was announced Malletts were pulling plug. Sadly their enthusiasm was quickly diminished by the damage to the infrastructure and unfortunate fire at the stadium, which happened just hours before they were going to meet Phil to discuss a potential lease.

This is a terribly sad situation, the Malletts were offered a reasonable chunk of money for what was a business on its knees. They had helped created a tidy little stadium, which could have seen them walk away with some dignity. Hard to believe their stubborn attitude.

Now it looks like it will be a pile of a rubble in no time! I feel very sorry for the hardcore fans who stayed loyal to the club and even sadder for those who spent so much time helping to improve the infrastructure.

As Phil has stated in Speedway Star, Sydney and London were very co-operative and keen for speedway to continue when it was announced Malletts were pulling plug. Sadly their enthusiasm was quickly diminished by the damage to the infrastructure and unfortunate fire at the stadium, which happened just hours before they were going to meet Phil to discuss a potential lease.

This is a terribly sad situation, the Malletts were offered a reasonable chunk of money for what was a business on its knees. They had helped created a tidy little stadium, which could have seen them walk away with some dignity. Hard to believe their stubborn attitude.

Now it looks like it will be a pile of a rubble in no time! I feel very sorry for the hardcore fans who stayed loyal to the club and even sadder for those who spent so much time helping to improve the infrastructure.

Perhaps Phil would benefit from another financial backer to help him, not easy in these times I know, but someone, who along with Phil can quickly put together a plan to rebuild the damage and quickly put on the table a feasable business plan. Phil will then have a lot more chance of being taken seriously by Sydney and London.

Local people should be contacting the Ward members of Lliswerry on the council,they should ask them to talk to the new executive member of Planning who will be put into place when the new council takes up office next week. Worth a try?

Perhaps Phil would benefit from another financial backer to help him, not easy in these times I know, but someone, who along with Phil can quickly put together a plan to rebuild the damage and quickly put on the table a feasable business plan. Phil will then have a lot more chance of being taken seriously by Sydney and London.

The financial backing was/is in place Ray, an experienced promoter would have been involved. Had Malletts agreed to sell then there would have been speedway at Newport in 2012. But The internal damage through remove of speedway related infrastructure, vandalism and the fire seems to have changed the landlords whole view.

So unless someone has a spare £700k to buy the site then it's not looking good, Unless demolition proposals are rejected.