British Speedway Forum
wizzer

Newport Speedway Fans Help!

The interesting thing about this is how much the mallets have made complete idiots of themselves over this, they could have left this with a great deal of dignity and would (probably) have had some respect granted had they have struck a deal with Phil. Instead they've become Newport Speedway's biggest enemies.

Fingers crossed Phil gets the track and stadium back to its former glory, and the Mallets have a lifetime ban.

I'll send an email when I get to work tomorrow (best time to eh?) :lol:

Swansea is 50-odd miles from Newport, and has no Speedway heritage whatsoever. Why would anyone, Phil Morris included, see that as a viable alternative to Newport?

I my dear friend was was suggesting alternatives, should this application succeed, and i know an ex greyhound Stadium now derelict would at least have as good a chance as any to gain planning permission. I would guess alternative sites are not readily available in or around Newport. Heritage ?? Hmmmm i dont recall Somerset having any Heritage, Workington Likewise. Who knows what is the magic formulae that makes Speedway a success in some areas and not others, any ways, maybe i will keep my thoughts and suggestions to myself.

Just going on our past experiences at Cradley Heath, when 3/4 years were wasted by expecting to get the planning application overturned on appeal, when this failed, we had to start from scratch to try to find an alternative site, ie 3/4 years were lost.

I my dear friend was was suggesting alternatives, should this application succeed, and i know an ex greyhound Stadium now derelict would at least have as good a chance as any to gain planning permission. I would guess alternative sites are not readily available in or around Newport. Heritage ?? Hmmmm i dont recall Somerset having any Heritage, Workington Likewise. Who knows what is the magic formulae that makes Speedway a success in some areas and not others, any ways, maybe i will keep my thoughts and suggestions to myself.

Just going on our past experiences at Cradley Heath, when 3/4 years were wasted by expecting to get the planning application overturned on appeal, when this failed, we had to start from scratch to try to find an alternative site, ie 3/4 years were lost.

The strange thing is, Somerset is about the same distance as Newport from Bristol, yet Somerset has cracked it. And Newport does have a Speedway heritage. Maybe the bridge causes a psychological barrier?

Good luck to all involved at Newport.

I disagree slightly with Greyhound P about the lessons learnt from Cradley. To me it shows that any time spent fighting to keep what you have got is time well spent because its the best chance you have got of keeping the sport alive. Once its gone it is extremely difficult to get back - and don't we know it!

There is a helpful policy in Newport's Unitary development Plan and I hope the Council stick to it to turn down the application.

Here is what I have said if it is of use or interest.

"I and my family are not Newport residents but we object to the proposal to demolish the Speedway Stadium.

Over the past few seasons we have been regular visitors to support our own team against the Hornets. It was a great venue run by some dedicated and hard working people. It helped to put Newport on the regional and national sporting maps and helped boost the local ecomomy. Last year for example we raced at Newport on a Friday niight, dined locally, stayed in a local hotel, filled up with petrol and shopped locally before moving on to Cardiff the next day for the Grand Prix. That probably amounted to about £300 from one family and we had a great time!

It was a real asset to the area and needs to be protected while there is any possibility of the sport starting up again.

Your UDP includes Policy CF1 which values sport and recreation and seeks to protect venues such as this, unless there is no long term requirement. One season's absence cannot constitute 'no long term requirement' so you should reject the proposal on that basis.

Don't let this go the way of Somerton Park because when its gone it is incredibly difficult to find an alternative site. We know all about that as we lost the Cradley Heath Stadium in 1995 and we are still searching for a solution to our plight.

The Wasps brought a great deal of glory to Newport last season by winning the Premier League Knock Out Cup, now is the time for you to show some support in return!"

• Like 3

Email sent!

Best of luck to all those connected with the Wasps.

Last thing Speedway wants is the "death" of purpose built Speedway stadium.

My seating arrangement at Newport was alongside an elderly gent from Bristol,who was a previous Rebels regular,he had chosen Newport over Sommerset because he was no longer able to cope with the long walk across the fields,the uneven ground and the lack of a proper seated permanent stand within easy reach from the carpark (about 100 yds) also coming from bristol he was able in the summer to be at Newport a lot quicker than the regularly jammed M5 section at Gordano could be negotiated.I agree somerset does somehow seem to make it work where Newport couldn't and i am sure the Bridge does make a difference for those over the other side of the river.There again Swindon is closer to me than Newport and neither involve a bridge crossing,but i still chose Newport having been to both,for me it was the closeness to the action and the viewing platform that convinced me.We are all different,this year for the first time since 1997 i am watching no speedway other than sky sports,but if a new promoter comes to Newport for 2013 i will be back like a shot

Find us on Facebook under NEWPORT SPEEDWAY SOS.......703 people that want to make a difference - thank you!.......please keep posting anything that will help the cause. Your thoughts, findings and positive suggestions are all very much appreciated! :t:

I have just registered my objection on line. Very simple to do but essential that everyone that can do it, does it now. I have stressed the fact that it is not just an asset to Newport, but Wales and south west England. Seems a strange view but ask the lads from the West Country where they have to go to get training sessions now. I was quite enthusiastic about the Mallets taking control but it didn't work for them so maybe somebody else can make it work, but if it is demolished, then nobody will have a chance to run it.

Well, the deadline for objections is tomorrow.......I'd just like to say a big THANK YOU to everyone who has joined the group and objected to the planning application - I hope we can make a difference! :t:

Thanks for the link,any suggestions as to the identity of the "firestarter,twisted firestarter" wouldn't like to be making any wild guesses myself !

Let me see he must have some connection with Newport speedway and he is 24 , Hmmm Narrows it down a bit i suppose

Edited by piston197

The public consultation period has been extended until next Monday 14th May. If you haven't yet added comments of objection to the demolition of Newport Speedway Stadium then your support would be be very much appreciated. The more individual responses that are received the more chance we have of keeping Newport Speedway alive.

Please follow the link http://www.newport.gov.uk/fastWeb/fulldetail.asp?AltRef=12/0375&ApplicationNumber=&AddressPrefix=&submit1=Go

Scroll to the bottom of the page and click on the Comment button.

Thank you to all who have opposed the application so far.

Please follow the link http://www.newport.g...fix=&submit1=Go

Scroll to the bottom of the page and click on the Comment button.

Thank you to all who have opposed the application so far.

...also please note the applications states this will be a delegated decision with no appeal.

My understanding is that means the decision will be taken internally by the civil servants in the planning dept and no appeal will be allowed.

It will not get to the planning committee with the elected councillors if this happens and this is where we need it.

Please keep the comments flowing in to them to force a change on this.

The public consultation period has been extended until next Monday 14th May. If you haven't yet added comments of objection to the demolition of Newport Speedway Stadium then your support would be be very much appreciated. The more individual responses that are received the more chance we have of keeping Newport Speedway alive.

Has Nick posted his objections yet.

How on earth is what is now a derelict piece of land an asset to Wales. Clearly the last few years, albeit possibly down to bad promoters, have shown speedway in Newport to be not viable so what do you want to save it for.

As it is there is no one ready to move in and get the stadium in shape and run speedway there. As regards the boost to the economy, with the exception of Somerset, probably fewer than 20 away fans were coming to Newport anyway. The home fans would be spending money on admission, mainly used to pay riders and that money goes straight out of Newport. If they are not going to Newport they will be spending that money elsewhere, almost certainly on local business'.

No one likes to see tracks close but do you really think an email from someone 200 miles away saying I might visit once a year will have any effect