British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
speedyguy

Monthly Speedway World

The weekly 'Speedway World' moved into also publishing a very fine 'Monthly Speedway World' in the late 1940s. Can anyone advise when the first and last editions appeared please?

Among is contributors was the late Cyril J Hart who later became the secretary - and a very good one - of the Speedway Riders Association (when that organisation was strong enough to have a voice in regard to what was happening in the sport).

The monthly edition was printed on good quality quality paper which allowed for excellent photographic reproduction.

The Editor of Monthly Speedway World was John Wick. He was also editor of Speedway World. I am certain that was from the latter's founding in 1937 until its demise in the 1960s.

John Wick was also, from what I remember, the sports editor of the Hornsey Journal in north London. The HJ. as I recall but accept correction on this point, were the publishing company for both speedway magazines.

Besides Cyril Hart, another leading staff member was Peter Arnold.