British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
BIKEPIG

Bspa Kill Off Northern Junior League.

Three years ago Berwick, Edinbrugh, Halifax and Redcar put together the NORTHERN JUNIOR LEAGUE with the intention of giving meaningful second half racing to young riders who needed a step upto national league racing! It had a good set of rules set out, agreed upon and followed by the clubs involved! These rules took into acount the needs and resources of the clubs, the ideal system would be 4 man teams and all novice riders but as there has been a lack of any type of competion in the north for nearly a decade there simply wasnt the riders required to fill teams so it was decided to have 3 man teams and the only exclusion was anyone named in a national league team or higher, this allowed some experienced riders who had been retired to help what youngsters that were around by filling out the teams until enough younger riders could be encouraged into the sport! This worked well for all involved and some young riders have taken a step up while others are still competing at the same level filling the teams up as more potential comes through! At the time it was the only such league to be running and off the back of it the year after the midlands league was set up using there own rules that suited there needs! So far everyone was happy, in a year its gone from nothing to 2 separate leagues running independant from each other. By the end of 2011 season the northern league was considered a success again and the midlands just as much so! Great news at the start of 2012 then when the anglian league is announced, so us up north feel pretty proud that something we started only 3 years ago has snowballed to this, even more racing for the british novices, they decide to run with the same rules as the midlands as it suits there needs. At the start of the season the only changes to our rules (from the BSPA) was that we had to start using the new silencers which we were exempt from last season plus the use of the new rear mudguards. Now fast forward 2 months into the season as the NJL league is just about to kick off full of optimisom as Workington also join the league, the clubs that race NJL teams all recieve an email from BSPA saying not to allow any NJL racing to go ahead as they have decided after a managment committie meeting that all junior league racing in this country must follow the same rules and we must agree to run to the rules set for other leagues? Lets forget for now the incompetance of the BSPA in their handling of this and look at the implications, it not only means we need more riders to fill an extra team place but also that we would lose some of the expierinced riders as they dont fit the criteria of the new rules, again lets put aside the £100's the expierenced riders have wasted on licenses (ironically from the BSPA) new silencers and mudguards to help the young riders have a league to race in and look at the real issue, which is we'll be back to NO LEAGUE racing for northern youth! We ( the NJL) were the origanal in this revival, now it seems like someone in the BSPA has decided we're not capable of running an already successfull system and without discusion has said we dont care what you think, do it our way! No wonder british speedways in the state it is, we cant even get grass routes racing without politics spoiling it!

No wonder e-bay now has so many youngsters selling speedway bikes!

Three years ago Berwick, Edinbrugh, Halifax and Redcar put together the NORTHERN JUNIOR LEAGUE with the intention of giving meaningful second half racing to young riders who needed a step upto national league racing! It had a good set of rules set out, agreed upon and followed by the clubs involved! These rules took into acount the needs and resources of the clubs, the ideal system would be 4 man teams and all novice riders but as there has been a lack of any type of competion in the north for nearly a decade there simply wasnt the riders required to fill teams so it was decided to have 3 man teams and the only exclusion was anyone named in a national league team or higher, this allowed some experienced riders who had been retired to help what youngsters that were around by filling out the teams until enough younger riders could be encouraged into the sport! This worked well for all involved and some young riders have taken a step up while others are still competing at the same level filling the teams up as more potential comes through! At the time it was the only such league to be running and off the back of it the year after the midlands league was set up using there own rules that suited there needs! So far everyone was happy, in a year its gone from nothing to 2 separate leagues running independant from each other. By the end of 2011 season the northern league was considered a success again and the midlands just as much so! Great news at the start of 2012 then when the anglian league is announced, so us up north feel pretty proud that something we started only 3 years ago has snowballed to this, even more racing for the british novices, they decide to run with the same rules as the midlands as it suits there needs. At the start of the season the only changes to our rules (from the BSPA) was that we had to start using the new silencers which we were exempt from last season plus the use of the new rear mudguards. Now fast forward 2 months into the season as the NJL league is just about to kick off full of optimisom as Workington also join the league, the clubs that race NJL teams all recieve an email from BSPA saying not to allow any NJL racing to go ahead as they have decided after a managment committie meeting that all junior league racing in this country must follow the same rules and we must agree to run to the rules set for other leagues? Lets forget for now the incompetance of the BSPA in their handling of this and look at the implications, it not only means we need more riders to fill an extra team place but also that we would lose some of the expierinced riders as they dont fit the criteria of the new rules, again lets put aside the £100's the expierenced riders have wasted on licenses (ironically from the BSPA) new silencers and mudguards to help the young riders have a league to race in and look at the real issue, which is we'll be back to NO LEAGUE racing for northern youth! We ( the NJL) were the origanal in this revival, now it seems like someone in the BSPA has decided we're not capable of running an already successfull system and without discusion has said we dont care what you think, do it our way! No wonder british speedways in the state it is, we cant even get grass routes racing without politics spoiling it!

No wonder e-bay now has so many youngsters selling speedway bikes!

Have you let the 'Speedway Star' know about this? I suggest you send them an email. I am sure they will be interested - they have just started a Junior League section.

Saturday's AJL match at Rye House was 3 rider teams over 4 heats, which we were told was allowed under league rules as well as the 4 rider/6 heat format.

The B SPA haven't "killed off" anything - if the clubs decide they don't want to meet the criteria for British Junior League racing, then that's up to them.

Of the "experienced riders" who don't meet the criteria, how many were British (surely that's the point of the league) and how many were under 40 - there surely has to be SOME distiction between "junior racing" & "some mid-life crisis with a bike" amateur racing.

As has just been posted AJL have used the same 3 man teams, 4 heats that the NJL used, so what's the problem?

• Like 2

As I have posted a short while ago on a similar topic on the General Discussions part of this Forum:

I heard this had happened and spoke to Dick Barrie on Saturday night at Berwick after the meeting.

He told me he had spoken with the BSPA Chairman literally ten minutes before I approached him, and Mr Harkess had assured him if the NJL changed their rules to be the same as the new junior leagues in the south the ban would be lifted.

Dick explained Mr Harkess agreed on the NJL continuing with three riders in the teams but insisted that they fall into line on who can ride. He told me this would therefore happen, to ensure the NJL could continue.

If their word is their bond, it looks like all is well again.

Hmmm! Looks like another 'speedway storm in a teacup'? - maybe?

The B SPA haven't "killed off" anything - if the clubs decide they don't want to meet the criteria for British Junior League racing, then that's up to them.

Of the "experienced riders" who don't meet the criteria, how many were British (surely that's the point of the league) and how many were under 40 - there surely has to be SOME distiction between "junior racing" & "some mid-life crisis with a bike" amateur racing.

As has just been posted AJL have used the same 3 man teams, 4 heats that the NJL used, so what's the problem?

Ok the BSPA havent gone so far as to kill it off, what they have done is moved the goal posts at last minute when everyone was sorted for the season, the criteria you say the NJL need to meet has never been a template for 'British Junior League' in fact the other leagues only finalised it between themselves a couple of months ago to stop some of the ridiculas teams been put out last season (Henning Loof, Wayne Carter) were as the NJL's own criteria has worked well for the 2 previous seasons and everyone involved has strived to stay within the targets of the league and was happy for it to continue, Why fix whats not broken?

As for the experienced riders only one of them used was foreign as far as im aware, and only for 2 matchs, not ideal but better than 3 man races! the others are remenents of the LInlithgow, Berwick, Newcastle and Cleveland teams that not that long ago were racing at div 3 level, There was no down side to these riders been in the teams, firstly they made up the numbers so that the league could go ahead, seecondly they were a target for the riders with real potental (and were beaten by them) and thirdly as younger riders became available they stepped aside as everyone involved knows what the leagues there for! As for the Mid-life crisis bit, it always baffels me why people have something against older guys giving it a go even if they're never going to be world champions, once again there only used when there isnt enough youngsters to fill a team and they serve a great purpose by providing an easy first target for new riders to aim for, if a kid runs lasts all the time at the first rung of the ladder he'll probably give up sadly, give him someone to beat and he'll quickly fill with confidance and move onto the next target (that'll be the ex-national league riders)

The Heats has now been clarified as the 4 heat format as you say and the only change is the rider selection rules, i just hope it doesnt mean a shortages of riders that then makes the league look mickey mouse!

We Want a league full of teenagers competing against each other but we're willing to fill the teams with others for now just so theres a league system in place for them to step into in the next few years! 15 year olds stood in the terraces should be watching it thinking to them selves i can beat these guys, i think i'll have a go!

• Like 1

Typical of the BSPA to interfere into something that was working just fine.I mean its not as if theres anything else that needs improving our sport,just another piece of evidence that the BSPA arent fit to run speedway Im afraid.

• Like 2

Yet again speedway shoots itself in the foot ...for goodness sake lets all sing form the same hymn sheet and get British speedway back on track.

• Like 1

Yet again speedway shoots itself in the foot ...for goodness sake lets all sing form the same hymn sheet and get British speedway back on track.

So what is it, then? Foot Injury or same hymn sheet? The basis of the original post is complaining that they're making all the leagues the same.

So that's a good thing - in fact, "for goodness sake" to quote your post.

Ok the BSPA havent gone so far as to kill it off, what they have done is moved the goal posts at last minute when everyone was sorted for the season, the criteria you say the NJL need to meet has never been a template for 'British Junior League' in fact the other leagues only finalised it between themselves a couple of months ago tostop some of the ridiculas teams been put out last season (Henning Loof, Wayne Carter) were as the NJL's own criteria has worked well for the 2 previous seasons and everyone involved has strived to stay within the targets of the league and was happy for it to continue, Why fix whats not broken?

As for the experienced riders only one of them used was foreign as far as im aware, and only for 2 matchs, not ideal but better than 3 man races! the others are remenents of the LInlithgow, Berwick, Newcastle and Cleveland teams that not that long ago were racing at div 3 level, There was no down side to these riders been in the teams, firstly they made up the numbers so that the league could go ahead, seecondly they were a target for the riders with real potental (and were beaten by them) and thirdly as younger riders became available they stepped aside as everyone involved knows what the leagues there for! As for the Mid-life crisis bit, it always baffels me why people have something against older guys giving it a go even if they're never going to be world champions, once again there only used when there isnt enough youngsters to fill a team and they serve a great purpose by providing an easy first target for new riders to aim for, if a kid runs lasts all the time at the first rung of the ladder he'll probably give up sadly, give him someone to beat and he'll quickly fill with confidance and move onto the next target (that'll be the ex-national league riders)

The Heats has now been clarified as the 4 heat format as you say and the only change is the rider selection rules, i just hope it doesnt mean a shortages of riders that then makes the league look mickey mouse!

We Want a league full of teenagers competing against each other but we're willing to fill the teams with others for now just so theres a league system in place for them to step into in the next few years! 15 year olds stood in the terraces should be watching it thinking to them selves i can beat these guys, i think i'll have a go!

Well, you've answered your own question before you've asked it. Ridiculous teams.

On the assumption you're aware that Henning Loof learned to drive on the "wrong" side of the road, I'll give you Tamas Sike.

There's also a difference between "experienced" and "ex-NL riders" and 40+, 50+ blokes who've bought a bike & think because the've been to a training school & an amateur meeting or two, they're "speedway riders". They're not.

15 year olds stood on the terraces shouldn't be thinking "when I'm bald & beer gutted I can force my way into somebody's old race suit & chug around a track".

Edited by Backless

Who are these blokes 'giving it a go' in second halves?................ What is wrong with you people how do you exepct the youth to get better if they don't challenge chaps like Wayne Carter Andy Mountain (who know all the tricks). Riders benefit hugely from the likes of Tony Atkin and John Armstrong in the NL. Are you going to tell Greg Hancock that he is now Mr middle aged and should move aside for the new generaton and Billy Hamill has had to come out of retirement to give the yanks a team in the world cup due to lack of riders. It's all the same just at different levels. Richie Worrall after 3 or 4 NL meetings went straight into the PL and 18 months after he had his first ever meeting in the NL as no. 8 IOW, I believe. He is now doubling up with PL/EL put people on the track with same standard and it gives them a false impression of what league riding is. This should have been done years ago well done to all the Junior Leagues some of us know how much goes into running these leagues when all you feel like doing is turning round and walking away. Nobody flinched when team viking(inc Jona B Andersen sadley rained off) were at Scunthorpe and amatuers rode against them in an amatuer meeting and 2 of those ended up with PL places in the UK staright after. Push the boys give them something to work with and they will deliver the goods. END OF RANT

PS forgot Gearge Barclay who started his speedway career at 29

Edited by TMW

Who are these blokes 'giving it a go' in second halves?................ What is wrong with you people how do you exepct the youth to get better if they don't challenge chaps like Wayne Carter Andy Mountain (who know all the tricks). Riders benefit hugely from the likes of Tony Atkin and John Armstrong in the NL. Are you going to tell Greg Hancock that he is now Mr middle aged and should move aside for the new generaton and Billy Hamill has had to come out of retirement to give the yanks a team in the world cup due to lack of riders. It's all the same just at different levels. Richie Worrall after 3 or 4 NL meetings went straight into the PL and 18 months after he had his first ever meeting in the NL as no. 8 IOW, I believe. He is now doubling up with PL/EL put people on the track with same standard and it gives them a false impression of what league riding is. This should have been done years ago well done to all the Junior Leagues some of us know how much goes into running these leagues when all you feel like doing is turning round and walking away. Nobody flinched when team viking(inc Jona B Andersen sadley rained off) were at Scunthorpe and amatuers rode against them in an amatuer meeting and 2 of those ended up with PL places in the UK staright after. Push the boys give them something to work with and they will deliver the goods. END OF RANT

PS forgot Gearge Barclay who started his speedway career at 29

as did a certain John Louis!!

as did a certain John Louis!!

Harold MacNaughton at 37 and Tom Oakley at 38. Both rode for England in junior tests and had distinguished senior speedway careers - and were at one time team mates at Southampton and then at New Cross.

Sorry backless i didnt think i needed to point out that for the MJL these were ridiculas teams because there is an abundance of young riders to pick from, were as in the NJL sikes was used in the first season to fill a team place at berwick because without him they wouldnt have had a 3 man team! its also worth mentioning the other 2 in berwicks team that year as it follows what your talking about, john mcpail in his early 20's benifitted massivly from racing with sikes and got chances at nl level the year after. but the 3rd rider was the little known 40+ rider ricky anderson who only the year before bought his 1st bike! he scored a few points but more importantly a 15 year old watching thought he'd be able to beat him, and is now berwicks #8!!!!

as i said before, these people Do have a place in the sport and anyone willing to take to the track shouldnt be told otherwise! everyones there to be beat from top to bottom, they all deserve respect!