British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
MrMungo

World Under 21 Qualifying Rounds

The problem is not so much that, but the ridiculous amounts of licences and fees that you need to compete in FIM events. Even when you have the various licences, and there are numerous, you still need to pay the one-meeting race fee, or whatever they call it, which is £135.

You need your national license from your own federation and a FIM license thats around 400 euros for a season or the mentioned for a one off. What else do you need?

Why do you assume it has anything to do with the BSPA? They seem to get blamed for everything!

There is backing, some backing. Not huge amounts, but it helps. And it comes from the SCB (Speedway Control Bureau, not the forum member, FYI!)

The problem is not so much that, but the ridiculous amounts of licences and fees that you need to compete in FIM events. Even when you have the various licences, and there are numerous, you still need to pay the one-meeting race fee, or whatever they call it, which is £135.

The guys who were left to do with it were the guys who were either prepared to, or wanted to do it.

It was nothing to do with money or sponsors.

Oh, and Garrity didn't go, because from what I can tell, it was based on the Under 21 Final results, and he was below the 4 riders who did go.

I'd agree with you to an extent.Of course if a rider wants to he will do it.That is what the FIm is exploiting.The fact is more and more is being asked of juniors at this level.I really can't see many being able to follow in the GP footsteps and do 7 finals,plus all the other meetings at this stage of their career.It is a sad reflection of the sport that riders from Finland + Norway couldn't turn up.Saying that,i was talking a few years back to an ex rider from Australia who now has a son riding and he said riders shouldn't always look to their federation for support,they should get out and make thingshappen themselves.Having said that,he also said that when he was riding he also expected the MA(?) to do a lot for him.Somehow a balance needs to be found.It is great for the big competitions to be shared out around the speedway world.But it should only expand with the funds available.Fans also are not that interested in U21 meetings.I was at for example a Denmark v Sweden and a Sweden v Denmark U21 test with Klindt,Madsen,Hougaard,Alden,Forsberg etc and it was one man and a dog.I was at a Nordic U21 Final with Möller,Lindbäck,Alden and Lindgren(?)etc and the crowd was minimal.Last years U21 Final round at Holsted was 1,000 or so.....about the same or less than a Superliga meeting...

Why do you assume it has anything to do with the BSPA? They seem to get blamed for everything!

There is backing, some backing. Not huge amounts, but it helps. And it comes from the SCB (Speedway Control Bureau, not the forum member, FYI!)

The guys who were left to do with it were the guys who were either prepared to, or wanted to do it.

It was nothing to do with money or sponsors.

Oh, and Garrity didn't go, because from what I can tell, it was based on the Under 21 Final results, and he was below the 4 riders who did go.

As the british Under 21 final was a BSPA event, and the big wigs were there and they provided the Start line girls, and the Fireworks, then i assume it is something to do with the BSPA. :wink:

As a matter of interest Iris, the crowd on a poor night weather wise was around 1200/1500.

Edited by greyhoundp

Well done to Richie and Tom :t: I hope they and Kyle Newman make it stick when they get into the semis now. It's nice to see Britain getting some young riders making a decent showing on the international scene.

Big well done to Ritchie

Rising fast and will hopefully make a Polish/Swedish team take note for 2013.

• Like 1

Well Done to both Ritchie and Tom, both are having great seasons and really pleasing seeing them doing so well in this!!! :t:

It's crazy in this day and age that the FIM don't pay enough "wages" to the guys competing in the competition to cover at least their costs!! Mind you the same applies in the GPs let alone this!!

Nevertheless congrats to Richie in particular, his brother and Tom Perry for making the effort all worthwhile for themselves, so good to see a brit do well abroad, hopefully they've made another sponsor sit up and take notice of them eh!!

Edited by Trees

It's crazy in this day and age that the FIM don't pay enough "wages" to the guys competing in the competition to cover at least their costs!! Mind you the same applies in the GPs let alone this!!

Actually it's the organizer that pays the prize money thats set up by the FIM. But you are quite right. But for eample MX people/teams dont get paid, they pay to get to ride in Worlds events.

Are the semi-finals at Terenzano and Balakovo(Russia)on june the 2nd-will there be problems for the riders drawn in Russia getting everything sorted in time ?

Edit just been on to the FIM website and the russian semi has been moved to Chervonograd which is in the Ukraine hopefully riders will be able to get there ok.

practice is on the day of the meeting in both semi`s

Edited by racers and royals

I was just going to say that I thought the other semi was scheduled for Ukraine.

The Ukrainians don't have the same visa requirements as Russia and that track isn't too far from the Polish border, so there should hopefully be no problems.

But for eample MX people/teams dont get paid, they pay to get to ride in Worlds events.

Are they mostly works riders who ride in the World events though?

it was sad to see some of the british Under 21 guys didnt appear in this, allegedly because there was NO financial backing from The BSPA, Joe Haines, Kyle Howarth, Jason Garrity all would have given a good showing in this, and just to be left with the guys who have most money or sponsors, is a sad indictment of British Speedway.

I can assure you that Kyle Newman has entered because he wants to race and get valuable experience. He is certainly not awash with money or sponsors. These youngsters are lucky if they manage to break even on these trips.

it was sad to see some of the british Under 21 guys didnt appear in this, allegedly because there was NO financial backing from The BSPA, Joe Haines, Kyle Howarth, Jason Garrity all would have given a good showing in this, and just to be left with the guys who have most money or sponsors, is a sad indictment of British Speedway.

Just a question for the BSPA where did the profits from the British Under 21 Final go ??? because i was at Monmore Green, and despite the weather there was definately a very healthy crowd, some of that money could have been used to help with transport costs at least.

There is only a certain number of entries GB can enter, it isn't you're under 21 you can enter.

NZ we have only 1 spot, and that's all we deserve at present, but all the costs involved getting from NZ to one event are up to the rider and their family, There is a contribution made by SNZ but it is small in the overall cost. And if he should get through to the next round, then that becomes another logistics nightmare, does he stay and not be able to work while he waits or returns home back to a job only to pay all the costs again in a months time.

It's tough, but if you want it bad enough you find a way.

Are they mostly works riders who ride in the World events though?

Teams in MX pay to compete in the series, what happens between teams and riders I dont know. MX is a bigger sport, so instead of the main sponsor in speedway in MX they might pay 6 figures for a sticker on the bumper. Actually I know nothing of MX, other than that they dont have prize money like track racing.

Went over for this meeting, first thing to say that was excellently run by the folk at Blijham, nice track in a lovely location and made to feel very welcome by everyone there.

Richie Worrall was superb and extremely unluckily in what turned out to be a farce of a run-off for 1st place. Everyone, including Pawlicki thought race was going to be stopped with it being at least a case of both riders back for a re-run. Pit gate opened, Worall rode went back into pit to get new front wheel as one in bike had many spokes missing and looked very bent after being run into by Pawlicki. Meanwhile Pawlicki turned round and went back to just outside pits while his pit crew swarmed around him with clutch coolers, bike stands etc to wait until Worrall returned. Then he was informed that race hadn't been stopped by referee and that it was still effectively running, so Pawlicki turned around, completed the 4 laps and took the winner's cheque.

Question is...how was it that if race hadn't been stopped by referee (and to be fair no red lights came on or red flags shown), why Pawlicki wasn't excluded for a] riding wrong way round track to get back to wait outside pit gate & b] fact his mechanics appeared to touch bike while he was waiting outside pits. Plus race was still effectively 'running' but pit gate had ben opened????

Anyway apart from the bizarre ending, meeting was a good one, Tom Perry blew his best engine in afternoon practice so had to compete using his spare, but picked up points in every ride and did what was needed with a second place in his last ride to qualify for the semi-final's. Somerset fans will also be pleased to see that Alex Davies also qualified for the semi-final stages, a win in his opening ride setting him on his way, although he found points gradually harder to come by as the meeting progress.

With Tom & Alex both qualifying it means that 4 Somerset riders, with Sam Masters & Kyle Newman already through from their qualifying in Germany last month, will be amongst the 32 competing in the 2 semi-final's.

Finally a word about Sean Mason - from the evidence of this meeting he is worth a look at for a possible PL berth, if not this year, then next...he acquitted himself well and but for an exclusion in his final ride might well have qualified for the semi-finals as of right, or at worse been in a run-off for final spot up for grabs, and then a fall on last bend when miles ahead of Helfer in run-off for reserve berth in semi-finals denied that him place.

Edited by Statman
  • Like 1