British Speedway Forum
stratton

Wimbledon Second Halfers And Number Sevens.?

Anyone remember Mike Wells - a second halfer?

I knew Mikey and his brother Keith, as they used to stand with us on the Pit Bend; we're still Facebook friends. Another one who stood with us was Keith Yorke.

Steve

I knew Mikey and his brother Keith, as they used to stand with us on the Pit Bend; we're still Facebook friends. Another one who stood with us was Keith Yorke.

Steve

Mike is now living on Teeside.

If we are talking about number sevens - what about Mike Coomber?? 1963 or 64 I think.

He made speedway look very difficult - if you see what I mean.

If we are talking about number sevens - what about Mike Coomber?? 1963 or 64 I think.

He made speedway look very difficult - if you see what I mean.

I had wondered about mentioning 'Zoomer', but he was a little before the time period mentioned. I think he rode for us in 1967, before making some appearances for Ipswich in 1969. Of course, others from the mid 60's include Ronnie Rolfe, Keith Whipp, Steve Chilman, and Geoff Hughes.

Steve

Here's a list of riders that rode in Wimbledon junior teams and the second halves at Plough Lane during 1982 and 1983:

1982: Steve Bosley, Mike Fitzpatrick, Peter Johns, Jamie Luckhurst, Jeremy Luckhurst, Alan Mogridge, N.Moore, Nick Smith, Mark Terry, D.Trocion, Phil Vance, Greg Williamson, Keith Yorke

1983: John Bines, Steve Bosley, Ian Brett, Steve Carter, R.Evans, Alan Farmer, Lee Farthing, Neil Ferguson, Martin Goodwin, Robin Hampton, Roger Hatchett, Paul Hilton, Gordon Humphreys, Ian Humphreys, Peter Johns, Alan Mogridge, Terry Mussett, R.Pearce, Richard Pettman, Jay Pleece, Gary Rolls, Des Smith, Kelvin Tatum, Neville Tatum, Mark Terry, Phil Vance

Anyone remember these guys?

Also, does anyone know the christian names of Messrs Moore, Trocion, Evans and Pearce in this list?

Rudy Muts, rode in some second half events, at Plough Lane, in 1976 before making the team the following season.

Ah, Wimbledon second halfers... See we've got as far as the '80s but no-one's yet touched on the 'modern' CL era at Plough Lane...

By my reckoning these were (and not necessarily a fully comprehensive list) the riders who appeared in second half racing or demonstration rides during the '02-'05 period. Those listed are second halfer who never actually rode a full match in the CL or Conf comps for the Dons. Though clearly some did end up riding for others.

Peter Russell; Cecil Forbes; Terry Day; Jamie Courtney; Billy Gander; Amy Carpenter; Darren Gilbert; Mark Baseby; Ben Gilbert; Dan Berwick; Keith Yorke; Karl Maben; Martin Elliott; Dean Ankers; Lance Stott; Trevor Heath; Lee Strudwick; Aaron Baseby; Niall Strudwick; Simon Tillman; Robert Lambert ; Daniel Hunt; Nick Laurence; Lewis Bridger; Dean Hargreaves; Simon Brown; Gary Cottham; Neil Evans; Gordon Watters; Jessica Lamb; Gordon Walker; Arlo Bujega; James Walker; Danny Brown

The stand-out name is, I suppose, Lewis Bridger - who rode second halves as a 14 year old in '04 but ended up signing for Weymouth when he made his CL debut the next year...

But there could be an even more famous name in there - if that Robert Lambert is the same kid wowing them on the continent as just a 14 year old atm. He must've been only 6-ish when he did some demo rides at Plough Lane... Or have I got it wrong and it's not the same lad..?

Anyone remember Mike Wells - a second halfer??

I think there was a New Zealander called Alf Wells who rode for Edinburgh in the 60's.

Different guy-Mike Wells not Alf Wells-also Peter Jackson in 1966

Ah, Wimbledon second halfers... See we've got as far as the '80s but no-one's yet touched on the 'modern' CL era at Plough Lane...

By my reckoning these were (and not necessarily a fully comprehensive list) the riders who appeared in second half racing or demonstration rides during the '02-'05 period. Those listed are second halfer who never actually rode a full match in the CL or Conf comps for the Dons. Though clearly some did end up riding for others.

Peter Russell; Cecil Forbes; Terry Day; Jamie Courtney; Billy Gander; Amy Carpenter; Darren Gilbert; Mark Baseby; Ben Gilbert; Dan Berwick; Keith Yorke; Karl Maben; Martin Elliott; Dean Ankers; Lance Stott; Trevor Heath; Lee Strudwick; Aaron Baseby; Niall Strudwick; Simon Tillman; Robert Lambert ; Daniel Hunt; Nick Laurence; Lewis Bridger; Dean Hargreaves; Simon Brown; Gary Cottham; Neil Evans; Gordon Watters; Jessica Lamb; Gordon Walker; Arlo Bujega; James Walker; Danny Brown

The stand-out name is, I suppose, Lewis Bridger - who rode second halves as a 14 year old in '04 but ended up signing for Weymouth when he made his CL debut the next year...

But there could be an even more famous name in there - if that Robert Lambert is the same kid wowing them on the continent as just a 14 year old atm. He must've been only 6-ish when he did some demo rides at Plough Lane... Or have I got it wrong and it's not the same lad..?

Robert Lambert is the same youngster who rode at Plough Lane.Was invited down to ride on his 50cc bike by Gavin Hedge.And another Dons connection is Trevor is a sponsor of Robert.So i guess in a few years time Robert will maybe be the last active rider ever to have ridden at the famous track

Edited by iris123

Robert Lambert is the same youngster who rode at Plough Lane.Was invited down to ride on his 50cc bike by Gavin Hedge.And another Dons connection is Trevor is a sponsor of Robert.So i guess in a few years time Robert will maybe be the last active rider ever to have ridden at the famous track

Cheers for clarifying that - amazing that he appeared there so young..

I recall a second half mechanics' race at Wimbledon back in the early 60’s where the heading for the time was printed in the programme as Hours & Minutes. I can’t remember who won but I think it was the only time I ever saw such a race.

sorry to stray off topic. i remember as a kid watching david hamilton and ed stewart have a race at wembley, does anyone else remember this memorable moment! :blink:

I recall a second half mechanics' race at Wimbledon back in the early 60’s where the heading for the time was printed in the programme as Hours & Minutes. I can’t remember who won but I think it was the only time I ever saw such a race.

I recall one with Stan Tebby in. None of the riders had crash helmets and Stan had a fag in his mouth!

On 6/7/2012 at 11:47 PM, Parsloes 1928 nearly said:

Simon Tillman has just fixed my en-suite shower....