British Speedway Forum
stratton

Wimbledon Second Halfers And Number Sevens.?

Back in the mid sixties- I certainly recall Mike Coomber, Steve Chilman and Geoff Hughes, also I would reckon on Tony Childs as a #7 -maybe in 1966. Great triers all. Since we are on the subject of #7's- I think of Ted Ede who did yeoman service for West Ham, Don Smith and for Hackney Sandy McGillivray and John Poyser-and while I'm at it Alan Jay for Sheffield (who later progressed to the regular team). At Newport Peter Harris, Ian Terrar and Alan Jones. We shouldn't forget these guys who all played their part in making speedway a great sport in the sixties.

• Like 1

Used to enjoy the old second halves...we at Cowley used to enjoy the exploits of grass track riders giving it a go during the early seventies (Julian Wigg, Ken Matthews, Chris and Alan Drewett - amongst many)

Edited by steve roberts

I remember seeing Dennis Sigalos having his first rides in Britain in a second half at Plough Lane, at the end of 78 or beginning of 79.

Like most of the American newcomers of that time, you could tell he was going to be good.

• Like 1

Martyn Charles, Gentleman Jim Dormer, Mark Fordham, Peter Thorn, Bob Abell, Philip Lac-Szyrma, Simon Franks...

Edited by chunky

Seem to always think of Jim Dorner  wearing a John Steed type titfer!!!

Edited by iris123

6 hours ago, iris123 said:

Seem to always think of Jim Dorner  wearing a John Steed type titfer!!!

And a bow tie!!!

2 hours ago, cityrebel said:

Ian Silk, who looked like the ' Milky Bar Kid'.

I don't actually remember what he looked like, but I remember a second-half race in the early seventies. He was against Rocky Coutts, Ian Fletcher, and Graham Crook, and in four separate incidents, all four had fallen before reaching the back straight on the first lap...

Pretty sure I saw Cecil Forbes (sp) in the Hull pits in 2005.  He was wandering around in his leathers & boots but no body colour, I kept a look out for him on track but don't think he actually got to ride.  He must have experienced machinery problems as there used to be plenty of time, typically 40 mins+, at Hull for 2nd half spins, shame if true as it's a long way to travel not to get a skid....

Edited by martinmauger
added info

20 hours ago, Terry said:

I remember seeing Dennis Sigalos having his first rides in Britain in a second half at Plough Lane, at the end of 78 or beginning of 79.

Like most of the American newcomers of that time, you could tell he was going to be good.

Same in 1973 when Autrey and McKnight appeared in a second half. Plus Penhall had an after meeting ride along with Mike Bast before their White City UK debut

Edited by iris123

2 hours ago, iris123 said:

Same in 1973 when Autrey and McKnight appeared in a second half. Plus Penhall had an after meeting ride along with Mike Bast before their White City UK debut

...whose family had a connection with the Greyhound Bus franchise in the States if memory serves?

I can remember seeing Roy Trigg in the second halfs at New Cross and thinking that he looked good and then seeing Dave Jessup as a 15 year old in the second half at West Ham and thinking he looked even better. Also remember Barry Thomas in the second half at West Ham. Malcolm Simmons was another second halfer at West Ham, though didn't show the promise of the others at that time. Then there was the memorable John Holder - memorable because he always came at least half a lap behind everyone else even in the novice and junior races.

But I suppose the rider I remember most from the second half was Ron Johnson in 1960, attempting to make yet another comeback at the age of 53. Sadly, it didn't work out.

Edited by norbold
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, norbold said:

I can remember seeing Roy Trigg in the second halfs at New Cross and thinking that he looked good and then seeing Dave Jessup as a 15 year old in the second half at West Ham and thinking he looked even better. Also remember Barry Thomas in the second half at West Ham. Malcolm Simmons was another second halfer at West Ham, though didn't show the promise of the others at that time. Then there was the memorable John Holder - memorable because he always came at least half a lap behind everyone else even in the novice and junior races.

But I suppose the rider I remember most from the second half was Ron Johnson in 1960, attempting to make yet another comeback at the age of 53. Sadly, it didn't work out.

Saw both Colin Richardson and Michael Lee, when both 15, giving second half 'demonstration' match races at Cowley...also a fifteen year old Alastair Stevens.

19 hours ago, chunky said:

I don't actually remember what he looked like, but I remember a second-half race in the early seventies. He was against Rocky Coutts, Ian Fletcher, and Graham Crook, and in four separate incidents, all four had fallen before reaching the back straight on the first lap...

He was blonde with glasses, not your average looking speedway rider!

1 minute ago, cityrebel said:

He was blonde with glasses, not your average looking speedway rider!

Well, I figured that from your 'Milky Bar Kid" reference! Thing is, he never achieved any real success (I know he made a few appearances for Scunny), so it wasn't like there were that many pics of him doing the rounds. Thinking about it, I could say the same about a lot of the riders mentioned on here!

Unforgettable ones for me were Nigel Rackett and Mark Fordham...