British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
djp45

What Is Going On At Leicester ?

Thanks for the correction.

On the other point you make, perhaps you can tell us where Jason was a promoter, manager or rider? He is a nice guy, was in tow at the right time when Hemsley was looking for help and did ok filling in the scores for a bit of petrol money. Lets face it, he was never going to have the clout, or knowledge, to sign riders, or fire them. Sad to say, no loss at all, particularly in view of the replacements.

As for being in the `know`, if only you knew.

So much in the know that the Lions co promoter 3 times expressed trying to persuade a guy you describe as just "being in tow when Hemsley was looking for help" to stay a Team Manager!

A guy who was Clerk of the Course and SCB official would obviously have no prior knowledge of the sport and no accreditation to carry out that role. I bet DH just called up the department for work and pensions and asked for someone on jobseekers to come and do it. :blink: If DavidHemsley is the successful businessman you have spouted about on here why would he employ someone who didn't know what they were doing to manage a team he himself was clearly having trouble getting the best out of :rolleyes:

As for a guy who was never going to have the clout to sign riders, yes as surely that's the promoters job but a guy without whom Kauko Nieminen would probably be wearing a Comets race jacket this season, a guy who's efforts helped to persuade Magnus Karlsson to sign even though he had 3 other good offers on the table, a guy who's motivational and networking skills helped Leicester Lions, last season, to become at least competitive on the race track when previously all the fans could hope for was a narrow loss at best. As for your comment "no loss at all" well if support is what made Jason go, and your close contacts at the club feel like you do, I can see why and don't blame him.

Filled in the scores for a bit of petrol money did he???

Btw my name is Warren and I'm in the bar every week so don't be shy perhaps if you didn't hide behind the anonymity of this site I could see where you were coming from

:)

I do think that irrespective of fact we have 3 wins out of 3 the team doesn't look good enough. I'm sure if heat 8 hadn't have panned out how it did we would have had a bit of a thumping against Scunthorpe. We didn't look great against Redcar either and i would rate them as one of the weaker teams in the league. I think something probably needs to be done which probably means replacing Makinen even though he didn't look too bad in the end at Scunthorpe.

Without wanting to sound like i'm having a dig at Jason Atwood i can't recall him making many more changes to the programmed rides than Hemsley did when he was in charge. For example, in the Scunthorpe match Graversen rode one of his best rides ever at BP to win his 3rd programmed ride in fine style (beating the very impressive Jorgensen and Doolan) but next heat Atwood left Nielsen in for his full quota of rides even though the only points he had scored were in the reserve race when both opponents had fell. There is an argument with Graversen that he is so inconsistent that one ride doesn't indicate form but Atwood hardly ever makes changes however obvious they appear. I also recall the ipswich match where he bizarrely didn't use a tactical when one was available and a capable enough rider was available to ride it (Nieminen). Instead he 'saved' it for the next heat. Didn't make any sense at all as if we had taken a 5-1(something that could have been an 8-1) in the heat we wouldn't have been able to use a tac ride in the next race anyway. He obviously does have good peoples skills though as he seems very close to a few of the riders which may be the problem.

Mick.

He had the balls give Lambert a tactical at Somerset in heat 8 and got an 8-1 against Davies and Perry (both whom had races wins at that point) this with Nemo up in heat 9! Had the Lions not capitulated after that and got something from the meeting I think most would have said well done team not Jason Attwood my point being in hindsight we can all see what should have been done and even if the Team Manager gets it right they very rarely get the glory but if they get it wrong, as perhaps David Hemsley can appreciate more than most, it's generally no ones fault but theirs.

Cheers

Warren

Edited by bornagainlion
  • Like 2

I think again Mr Hemsley has made a big mistake by falling out with Jason as he was an excellent motivational guy to have in pits and to get the best out of the riders he also had a number of good connections with clubs. Where as I hear many clubs see Hemsley as only interested in himself and his opinion.

It will be interesting to see who the team changes are and also the replacements are as this seems to be the main reason for the change in team manager.

• Like 2

DH either makes changes or leaves things well alone. As fans like you have complaints of the current situation, how can you then criticise him for changing things. Do and be damned, don't and still be damned.

The things is that if there are no changes, some fans will get rattled for DH not reacting to the situation. Promoting is a doddle, if you are not one.

Well said indeed :approve:

Cannot really understand why people have a dig at Lasse as according to the averages up to last week he was averaging nearly 8. .And as to bad results lets face it if you are not at the front from lap 1 bend 2 you have'nt got much hope and Lasse is a racer not a gater.

Based upon the match against Scunthorpe, that is simply not true and Leicester is no more of a gaters paradise than virtually any other PL track.

It has come as a bit of a shock to me but I believe if you are not happy you get out because you stop enjoying it. Once again we don't know what was said and we will never know so no point in specualting.

I do on the other hand believe that Jason does not deserve the utter bial that is being spouted on hear by some forum members. Another thing I have noticed is that Jason has acted with nothing but dignity in this whole affair. I seem to remember the current manager going very public (on this very forum)last time he fell out with Leicester. I hope the relationship will be a little more dignified and professional between all parties in the future.

Well that's is why I don't go any more as DH does not know what he is doing he will not leave alone.until he has upset all people who has anything to do with the lions I wish someone would come along and buy the twit out

• Like 2

He had the balls give Lambert a tactical at Somerset in heat 8 and got an 8-1 against Davies and Perry (both whom had races wins at that point) this with Nemo up in heat 9! Had the Lions not capitulated after that and got something from the meeting I think most would have said well done team not Jason Attwood my point being in hindsight we can all see what should have been done and even if the Team Manager gets it right they very rarely get the glory but if they get it wrong, as perhaps David Hemsley can appreciate more than most, it's generally no ones fault but theirs.

I think your response kind of reiterates the point i was trying to make. If you are 10/12 points behind and have a rider capable of beating the opposition riders then you have to take that opportunity. I would say irrespective of who in the seven you have in the race, facing Davies and Perry in a heat, even when they are scoring well, would equate to being one of the best opportunities available of scoring double points at Somerset. When you dont use an available tac rider when you have your best rider in a heat such as happened in that Ipswich match just looks like an error though. I remember thinking that just didn't make any sense at all and i still can't see where it does. The point i was trying to make was that even though there are nowadays only a few chances for a team manager to implement tactical changes we never seem to make them, almost never when hemsley was manager and seemingly not more much more under Atwood. As a team manager I don't doubt his motivational skills but i do doubt his tactical skills. That was all the point i was making. Unfortunately this thread, much like most other Leicester threads, now seems the wrong place to make such simple observations as you end up feeling the point you're making is cornered into a 'with them' or 'against them' mentality which was not the point of my post. I'm not against Atwood at all (just calling the tactical acumen of successive Leicester team managers into question :blink: ).

Mick.

Edited by volty
  • Like 1

They should put a revolving door in at BP. A more enthusiastic man than Jason you will never meet who whenever I saw him had the energy of a 5 year old washing down his blue smarties with a litre of Red Bull.. Glynn's a sound guy though & know's the ropes so the team should be in safe hands with him especially with Booey in the background. Good luck to Jason in whatever he does & likewise to Glynn with managing the Lions.

• Like 1

I think your response kind of reiterates the point i was trying to make. If you are 10/12 points behind and have a rider capable of beating the opposition riders then you have to take that opportunity. I would say irrespective of who in the seven you have in the race, facing Davies and Perry in a heat, even when they are scoring well, would equate to being one of the best opportunities available of scoring double points at Somerset. When you dont use an available tac rider when you have your best rider in a heat such as happened in that Ipswich match just looks like an error though. I remember thinking that just didn't make any sense at all and i still can't see where it does. The point i was trying to make was that even though there are nowadays only a few chances for a team manager to implement tactical changes we never seem to make them, almost never when hemsley was manager and seemingly not more much more under Atwood. As a team manager I don't doubt his motivational skills but i do doubt his tactical skills. That was all the point i was making. Unfortunately this thread, much like most other Leicester threads, now seems the wrong place to make such simple observations as you end up feeling the point you're making is cornered into a 'with them' or 'against them' mentality which was not the point of my post. I'm not against Atwood at all (just calling the tactical acumen of successive Leicester team managers into question :blink: ).

Mick.

I think we are both on the same lines and definitely from reading yours posts I wouldn't lump you in with any side "for or against"

I thought Jason did make the odd call like recently like not putting Makinen in for his 4th ride against Redcar but generally he did go with riders 4 programmed rides so maybe it was a learning curve he was just beginning to get to grips with. Motivational abilities could never be questioned and his ability to get riders to want to be here should not be ignored, I think some on here don't understand just what a difference there was in team spirit and that Jason was part of creating that.

Good Luck to Jason in whatever he does and let's hope for Glyns sake things go well :unsure:

Cheers

Warren

Good old Eric hope he stays a while he should sort things out, I have a lot of respect for Mr Boocock.

According to Radio Leicester there was a bust up in the pits during last weeks meeting. So says the co-promoter anyway. Seems like Hemsley might be sticking his oar into the team again (that didn't work last time remember, he had no rapport with the riders at all). I think he maybe needs to realise that what works for him as a cycle speedway rider doesn't fit everybody else.

I also find it very odd that someone on here seems to think that sacking your old track man for comments about changing the track and then re-hiring him as team manager seems to be a perfectly normal course of action. What on earth made Glyn Taylor want to come back I don't know and you only have to look at Sheffield forums to see that Boocock really isn't that much of a boon signing these days. I've no doubt he's a genuine and honest bloke that said, and I'm sure he won't take any crap from the management either.

Despite what ballroom says re Jason's experience or lack thereof he did have a good rapport with the riders and that's as important as any tactical nouse. Last year it was a revolving rider policy now it's revolving track staff. We want a settled side, settled management and a settled season please David, if you're listening...

Listening only to his own voice .

#Rico#

Edited by Boulger Fan

So much in the know that the Lions co promoter 3 times expressed trying to persuade a guy you describe as just "being in tow when Hemsley was looking for help" to stay a Team Manager!

A guy who was Clerk of the Course and SCB official would obviously have no prior knowledge of the sport and no accreditation to carry out that role. I bet DH just called up the department for work and pensions and asked for someone on jobseekers to come and do it. :blink: If DavidHemsley is the successful businessman you have spouted about on here why would he employ someone who didn't know what they were doing to manage a team he himself was clearly having trouble getting the best out of :rolleyes:

As for a guy who was never going to have the clout to sign riders, yes as surely that's the promoters job but a guy without whom Kauko Nieminen would probably be wearing a Comets race jacket this season, a guy who's efforts helped to persuade Magnus Karlsson to sign even though he had 3 other good offers on the table, a guy who's motivational and networking skills helped Leicester Lions, last season, to become at least competitive on the race track when previously all the fans could hope for was a narrow loss at best. As for your comment "no loss at all" well if support is what made Jason go, and your close contacts at the club feel like you do, I can see why and don't blame him.

Filled in the scores for a bit of petrol money did he???

Btw my name is Warren and I'm in the bar every week so don't be shy perhaps if you didn't hide behind the anonymity of this site I could see where you were coming from

:)

Cheers

Warren

Some very good points here Warren (particularly that last one about certain people giving hints as to 'inside' information but never saying who they are. Anonynimity is a convenient refuge for some).

I only know Jason from the beginning of last season when the stadium was being built and he was clerk of the course but he is certainly an energetic and enthusiastic person who simply loved being amongst the riders. The reason behind him making this stance and resigning is that quite rightly he feels he is being undermined as team manager with unwanted team changes being forced upon him. As other people have already stated Hemsley only listens to himself, frequently flying in the face of sound advice from people more experienced than him so I can only imagine that Eric Boocock will be advising Glyn directly and not coming into contact with DH on a regular basis as that would be a recipe for disaster!

One point, and this I find hard to understand, is why Glyn would take on this role? He was not a happy man at the manner of his sacking during the winter, particularly how it was done by email whilst he was out of the country. He must know what DH is like to work with so why is he prepared to go through that again, particularly given DH's appalling track record at working with people? Only champion appeaser and diplomat Alan Jones seems able to stay the course! :lol: A lot of the track equipment at BP is Glyn's so maybe he wants back in for that reason? Struggling to see why otherwise.

Steve btw

Edited by LionsDen

In reply maybe just maybe it was jason who was the person who got glyn removed from the job ,anyway like i say just a thought :wink:

Edited by frostylion

Good old Eric hope he stays a while he should sort things out, I have a lot of respect for Mr Boocock.

I find it interesting that not many people are refering to Glynn as the Manager but Eric Boocock. I don't know a lot about him apart from the fact he left Sheffield and so did Auty. I wish them both well. Had this have been an isolated incident then I'm sure there wouldn't have been the backlash there has but it does come after a catalogue of comings and goings and naturally people are going to ask when do we get some stability so they can enjoy the team and not the off track antics. The supporters should have been going into the Edinburgh fixture full of confidence and positivity but this does seem to have put pay to that. There is a suggestion that to get Eric Boocock you had to have Glynn Taylor as they are good mates and Glynn didn't have a job and possibly Glynn and Jason didn't get on so one had to go. Sad really. :cry:

One point, and this I find hard to understand, is why Glyn would take on this role? He was not a happy man at the manner of his sacking during the winter, particularly how it was done by email whilst he was out of the country. He must know what DH is like to work with so why is he prepared to go through that again, particularly given DH's appalling track record at working with people? Only champion appeaser and diplomat Alan Jones seems able to stay the course! :lol: A lot of the track equipment at BP is Glyn's so maybe he wants back in for that reason? Struggling to see why otherwise.

Steve btw

David must be clutching at straws as loosing fans (and staff) is like sand running through his fingers! If and I say if Glyn has been talked into coming back and is allowed to make track changes (and probably some other changes) then Mr Hemsley will probably save face and his business!! But that happening could only be a dream!

#RICO

In reply maybe just maybe it was jason who was the person who got glyn removed from the job ,anyway like i say just a thought :wink:

i have heard this said many times this season also.