British Speedway Forum
stratton

All Time Favourite Tracks?

Hyde Road, Trelawny, Old Meadowbank, Hackney, Bradford Odsal, with a mention for New Cross and West Ham.

I have noticed that by far the most popular Track on which to watch Speedway Racing seems to have been Belle Vue - Hyde Road. Certainly it was the best Track for Racing that I ever visited. :approve:

Let's just hope that if they can get this new Stadium built that the Track will be as good as Hyde Road - if it is - I'm sure the Crowds will come flocking back. :)

There was something about Hyde Road - it was maybe the atmosphere when it was full. :)

Aahhhh!! Happy Memories and Happy Days!! B) Sad those days are gone now. :sad:

Edited by The White Knight
  • Like 1

Hyde Road

Plough Lane

Canterbury pre-1987

Exeter

Poole before they changed it

Sunderland had a great Track too. All the Riders used to think it was a very fair Track. :approve: There was good Racing too. :t::approve:

Didn't compare to Hyde Road mind..................................

Bradford, Stoke, Kings Lynn, Middlesbrough (Cleveland Park) & Newport for me.

Het Drac is that Newport Somerton Park or Queensway Meadow??

Hyde Road, Trelawny, Old Meadowbank, Hackney, Bradford Odsal, with a mention for New Cross and West Ham.

Sadly, I didn't ever get to trelawny. What was it that you liked about the place tsunami?

Odsal for me....no matter where you stood you could see EVERYTHING! as you had great view of the track and therefore the racing and really felt involved...then again I was stood directly behind the fence as the riders passed and even though strengthened with metal posts it still "rocked"!! I cannot visualise standing behind wire fence or outside a greyhound track to watch the action :blink: must have felt "well removed" from the action. H&S sure killed the fun.

Also Hyde Road but think thats cause it involved 'day out' at the zoo etc beforehand :party: ah yes my youth!!!!

You could also stand right by the fence at good old Somerton Park-I never liked a greyhound track between the crowd and the racing.

On 5/22/2012 at 1:00 PM, waiheke1 said:

Hyde Rd by quite some distance.

Also the Shay, Odsal and Western Springs.

Just came across this

Led Zeppelin, 1972 at Western Sprngs. Can see the speedway track

Ist möglicherweise ein Bild von außen

• Like 2

Just come across this thread (thanks to iris123)...

Oxford, White City, Hackney (Len Silver's days), Eastbourne (before they messed about with it) & Swindon (when prepaerd properly).

Edited by steve roberts

1 hour ago, steve roberts said:

Just come across this thread (thanks to iris123)...

Oxford, White City, Hackney (Len Silver's days), Eastbourne (before they messed about with it) & Swindon (when prepaerd properly).

Funny thing is, I went to Oxford many, many times, but was never over-impressed with it. Same as Ippo.

11 minutes ago, chunky said:

Funny thing is, I went to Oxford many, many times, but was never over-impressed with it. Same as Ippo.

I guess many would argue that the starting gate at Cowley was too near to the first bend which occasionally caused problems on the first bend (the outside gate was always a bad choice unless your got a flier and managed to close the others down) The racing line improved when Hans joined and had the entries and exits of the bend brought in creating more passing opportunities. Of course the adverse camber on the pits bend caught many riders out although our Norwegian "Star" (won't mention him again Chunky!) had it off to an art! Ipswich was never a favourite of mine...too narrow in my opinion although I have seen some good races there! and MelvynTaylor excelled there when a "Cheetah".

Edited by steve roberts

Just now, steve roberts said:

Ipswich was never a favourite of mine...too narrow in my opinion

The Boulevard at Hull was the one that scared me because of how narrow it was!