British Speedway Forum
norbold

Cyril Maidment

I was very sorry to hear that former Wimbledon and Belle Vue stalwart Cyril Maidment died over the week end on his 75th birthday I believe. He had been ill for some time but still a shock when it happens.

My sincerest sympathies and condolences to his family.

Edited by norbold

sad to hear this... being a Wimbledon fan i used to see him and give him hassle most weeks...

another big loss to the sport

Very sad news indeed :sad:

I can remember Cyril riding for Wimbledon and Belle Vue in the 60's a always thought he was a class act!

My condolences to his family.

sorry to hear about Cyril passing away.. Condolences to his family and many friends..

For Wimbledon he stood out in a strong team.. not an easy thing to to in the same team as Ronnie Moore, Ron Howe Bob Andrews Cyril Brien etc..

Always regarded as an exciting rider who gave full value all the time.

All the names that are appearing now from speedway past, bring back more memories of a Happy childhood. Gone but never forgotten xx

Sad news, if not unexpected. Condolences to all.

Remember him more as the manager than as a rider, like Honey I would have given him a tough ride from the first bend...., but looking back he did a reasonably good job considering the lack of support from the stadium owners.

Guest cheetahhawk

Sorry to hear this news. Condolences to Cyril's family and friends.

RIP Cyril.

RIP Cyril.

Although I can't remember him as a rider I do remember him as the manager of Wimbledon Dons, still have some old programmes with his pieces in.

Hope he enjoyed his final years in Tenerife, riding his motorcycle round the coastline.

Guest smelgy

Very sorry to hear of Cyril's death. I live in Belmont, Surrey and until recently Cyril's brother used to run the local branch of Forbouys the newsagents. I lost touch with him last October when he moved down to Devon, but he told me at the time that Cyril was ill.

I had the pleasure of being chairman at Wimbledon in 1987 when I, along with four others pooled our resources, and became what I believe was the first "consortium" in British speedway. We managed to save Wimbledon from the knackers yard, and although I left at the end of the season, the other members bravely soldiered on until the writing was on the wall in 1991.

Cyril was a great help, having been the manager at Plough Lane for a number of seasons. I remember him riding for Belle Vue and the Dons throughout the 60's and 70's. Never a great favourite of mine (I was first and foremost a West Ham fan), in fact I told him over numerous pints in later years, that he and Trevor Hedge were the two that we most liked to boo! He took it in good heart of course as we were teenagers at the time.

Sincere condolences to Cyril's family - another sad loss for the greatest sport ever.

Sincere Condolences