British Speedway Forum
norbold

Cyril Maidment

On ‎2‎/‎2‎/‎2004 at 9:23 AM, boxer123 said:

For Wimbledon he stood out in a strong team.. not an easy thing to to in the same team as Ronnie Moore, Ron Howe Bob Andrews Cyril Brien etc..

Always regarded as an exciting rider who gave full value all the time.

I always enjoyed Maido's style of riding. He was always second tier on those great Dons teams back then. BTW one of the first string greats for the Dons back then that is often not mentioned was Peter Moore

In a thread about the best Australians I also mentioned that Peter Moore seems forgotten-anybody have any memories of Peter?

13 minutes ago, BOBBATH said:

In a thread about the best Australians I also mentioned that Peter Moore seems forgotten-anybody have any memories of Peter?

At Wimbledon Peter was regarded as being the equal of Don How, but did lack his aggression.

Just seen this Cyril Maidment thread.

Cyril lived out his later years in Tenerife. At the time my son was managing a bar out there and met Cyril.  He told Cyril I was visiting the island and arranged for me to meet the man.  I was late for the meeting but gentleman Cyril waited for me at the bar (he was on lemonade!) and we had a great speedway conversation.  He then left on his Harley Davidson. 

A couple of years or so later my by then ex-wife visited and knowing Cyril was her favourite Aces rider my son arranged another meeting with her! He then took her on a tour of the island!

He was unwell for some time at the end and 'parked' his Harley as he said he  just couldn't handle it anymore.

But a real gentleman.

• Like 3