British Speedway Forum
Scunny Stag

71st Scunthorpe Speedway Amateur Meeting - Sun 5th August - Classes For All Ages And Standards

Scunthorpe Speedway's 71st amateur meeting will take place on Sunday 5th August (1pm first race).

There are classes for all standards from raw novice to Premier League reserve whilst there are three youth classes which run if there are entrants.

Riders can book a place or ask further questions by e-mailing me (richard@scunthorpespeedway.com), contacting me on Facebook (facebook.com/rh1967), or texting/calling 07832-402167. If you call and I am unavailable (e.g. work) please leave a message and I will get back to you at the earliest opportunity.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For anyone who isn't aware our meetings provide at least five programmed rides and everyone gets to ride in a final. With no youth classes there will be at least six rides (five qualifiers and one final) programmed for everyone.

There are trophies for the top three in each class and naturally we have a paramedic, first aiders and ambulance in attendance. One of the stadium cafes should be in operation and we have RM Race Spares (07403-334582) in attendance.

Riders do not need new silencers or mudguards and can ride on day licenses (with no additional charge).

Positions in all classes will be decided in the finals with every rider qualifying for one. THE WINNER OF EACH FINAL ADVANCES TO THE NEXT. (e.g. Winner of the 'E' Final advances to the 'D' Final etc. etc.).

The Open Class usually sees National League standard riders taking part along with those close to break into that league whilst the Novice Class includes riders from complete beginners to those who can usually get a full slide on. The Support Class is now seen as an intermediate class where riders can challenge themselves against better riders without making the full step up to the Open Class.

Summer Championship points are scored in the following manner: 16 points for 1st, 15 for 2nd etc down to 1 point for 16th (although that would be increased for all rounds if we had more than 16 riders for a class on one day). At the moment we are expecting five of the summer dates to be for the Summer Championship and riders will be able to drop one round for the championship so if all five rounds run then top four will count. If only four rounds run then it will be top three etc. etc. However, only riders who compete in the maximum number of rounds (four out of five or three out of four etc. will be eligible for championship trophies)

Helmet colours are required but can be borrowed (please give advance notice if possible) whilst dirt deflectors are compulsory on all speedway bikes except in the Novice and Youth 125s classes. If anyone has any questions then please just let me know.

The Summer Dates are:

Sunday 22nd April

Sunday 13th May

Saturday 16th June (Team meeting)

Sunday 8th July (team meeting with Southern Track Riders)

Sunday 5th August

Sunday 9th September

Sunday 7th October

We have booked my son in for the meeting he's 14 when you say there are 3 classes in the youths is this the same as the adults ie

Novice etc as he's only been on his bike a handfull of times racing

Sorry, there aren't enough youth riders to do that. The classes, if there are entrants, are 500cc, 250cc and 125cc. Whilst age does prevent riders from moving up through the engine sizes too quickly the better riders will be ready for the larger engines sooner than others.

Early bookings are:

Open Class:

Steve Jones

Gary O'Hare

David Holt

Andrew Blackburn

Arron Mogridge

Henning Loof

Support Class:

Simon Pearce

Simon Bence

Ryan MacDonald

Lee Springthorpe

John Markham

Novice Class:

Kevin Keay

Wayne Gosling

Derek Holt

Haydon Ball

Youth 125:

Jamie Halder

Macauley Leek

Connor Fletcher

It is great to see a couple of first-timers already booked in and I've little doubt we will have over thirty riders by the middle of the week.

Bookings will be taken until 4pm Saturday. Just call/text me on 07832-402167 to be added to the line-up

Hi it's my 1st meeting in the 125cc youth class

Does anyone know how good other to lads are

I'm a bit nervous

Hi it's my 1st meeting in the 125cc youth class

Does anyone know how good other to lads are

I'm a bit nervous

DON'T worry about the others 'conk98' - just go out there and concentrate on what you are doing each and every time you take to the track AND, most importantly, enjoy yourself!

Edited by Bryn
  • Like 2

That's what my dad told me :)

Just treat it as a practice

That's exactly what you should treat it as conk98. Its all abt getting laps in and gain more experience. The only difference to a practice is you will b going from the tapes. Just enjoy yourself mate.

Edited by moosetash64

Finally I've found time to write a report:

Jones makes it two on the trot

Steven Jones defeated Dudley’s Darryl Ritchings plus former professionals, Benji Compton and Gary O’Hare, in the ‘A’ final to record back-to-back victories in Scunthorpe’s Summer Championship. It takes him up to second place in the Championship standings, behind David Holt, with a meeting in hand. The result sends out a reminder to National League clubs that the lanky 32-year old can more than do a job in that league should they need an experienced middle-order rider.

In the Support Class Martin Wrathall recorded victory whilst Kevin Keay went unbeaten in the Novice Class. A good turnout of youth riders saw ten riders compete in two classes with Mitchell Beckett (250cc) and Ben Woodhull (500cc) running out winners.

After the meeting Scunthorpe Scorpions’ Team Manager, Richard Hollingsworth, was pleased with how things had gone. “There were some really heavy showers around the country but we didn’t have a drop. We had to grade and water three times but it was another great meeting. When you look down the Open Class you know riders are really being put to the test and I don’t ever see us having problems finding new riders for the Saints’ side”.

The next meeting is on Saturday 8th September and places can be booked by contacting Richard Hollingsworth on 07832-402167.

Results

Open Class:

Qualifying scores: Steven Jones 14, Gary O’Hare 14, Darryl Ritchings 12, Benji Compton 12 (4 rides), Connor Coles 10, Arron Mogridge 7, Henning Loof 7 (4 rides), David Holt 7, Adam Kirby 6, Andrew Blackburn 6, Shaun Tedham 4 (4 rides).

C Final: Tedham, Kirby, Blackburn, 65.2

B Final: Compton, Tedham, Holt, Coles, 64.7

A Final: Jones, Ritchings, Compton (retired), O’Hare (excluded, tapes offence), 62.1

Summer Championship points: Steve Jones 16, Darryl Ritchings 15, Benji Compton 14, Gary O’Hare 13, Shaun Tedham 12, David Holt 11, Connor Coles 10, Arron Mogridge 9, Adam Kirby 8, Andrew Blackburn 7, Henning Loof 6.

Summer Championship standings (after three of five rounds, one round can be dropped): David Holt 34 (13-10-11), Steve Jones 32 (16-16), Henning Loof 31 (12-13-6), Andrew Blackburn 30 (11-12-7), Gary O’Hare 28 (15-13), Arron Mogridge 18 (9-9), Jerran Hart 16, Tommy Fenwick 15, Darryl Ritchings 15, Daniel Phillips 14, Jake Knight 14, Benji Compton 14, Shaun Tedham 12, David Lidgett 11, Connor Coles 10, Rob Finlow 8, Adam Kirby 8.

Support Class:

Qualifying scores: Martin Wrathall 7, Simon Bence 7, Simon Pearce 4 (3 rides), Lee Springthorpe 1 (Support Class and Open Class were mixed for qualifying).

A Final: Wrathall, S.Pearce, Springthorpe, Bence (engine failure), 66.5

Summer Championship points: Martin Wrathall 16, Simon Pearce 15, Lee Springthorpe 14, Simon Bence 13.

Summer Championship standings (after three of five rounds, one round can be dropped): Simon Pearce 41 (12-14-15), Martin Pearce 29 (13-16), Lee Springthorpe 29 (15-14), Trevor Bebbington 22 (11-11), Sean Phillips 21 (9-12), Sam Darroch 20 (10-10), Arron Mogridge 16, Martin Wrathall 16, Rachel Hellowell 14, Simon Bence 13, Kenny Blain 9.

Novice Class:

Qualifying scores: Kevin Keay 15, Wayne Gosling 12, Edward Sturt 11, Kevin Hadlington 9, Alan Hadlington 9, Ivan Howarth 8, Haydon Ball 4, Derek Holt 4 (4 rides), Bradley Seal 2, Gary Krelle 0 (2 rides).

C Final: Ball, Holt, 86.0

B Final: Howarth, A. Hadlington, K. Hadlington, Ball, 78.6

A Final: Keay, Gosling, Howarth, Sturt, 72.0

Summer Championship points: Kevin Keay 16, Wayne Gosling 15, Ivan Howarth 14, Edward Sturt 13, Alan Hadlington 12, Kevin Hadlington 11, Haydon Ball 10, Derek Holt 9, Gary Krelle 8.

Summer Championship standings (after three of five rounds, one round can be dropped): Kevin Keay 46 (16-14-16), Wayne Gosling 45 (15-15-15), Ivan Howarth 38 (12-12-14), Derek Holt 29 (9-11-9), Marty Rathbone 26 (13-13), Greg Gosling 21 (11-10), Nathan Clare 16, Mick Keeling 14, Edward Sturt 13, Alan Hadlington 12, Kevin Hadlington 11, Hannah Kirtley-Paine 10, Haydon Ball 10, Lee Baldwin 9, Anthony Mulrine 8, Lee Coates 8, Gary Krelle 8.

Youth 250cc Class:

Qualifying scores: Mitchell Beckett 14, Dan Miles 11, Bradley Seal 1.

A Final: Beckett, Miles, Seal (fell), 68.1

Summer Championship points: Mitchell Beckett 16, Dan Miles 15, Bradley Seal 14.

Summer Championship standings (after three of five rounds, one round can be dropped): Dan Miles 31 (16-15), Mitchell Beckett 16, Bradley Seal 14.

Youth 125cc Class:

Qualifying scores: Ben Woodhull 15, Luke Woodhull 12, Macauley Leek 9, Jamie Halder 9, Dan Thompson 5, Connor Fletcher 3, Joe Thompson 1.

B Final: Halder, D. Thompson, J. Thompson, Fletcher (non starter), 82.5

A Final: B. Woodhull 71.3, L. Woodhull, Halder, Leek (fell), 71.3

Summer Championship points: Ben Woodhull 16, Luke Woodhull 15, Jamie Halder 14, Macauley Leek 13, Dan Thompson 12, Joe Thompson 11, Connor Fletcher 10.

Summer Championship standings (after three of five rounds, one round can be dropped): Ben Woodhull 32 (16-16), Luke Woodhull 29 (14-15), Macauley Leek 26 (13-13), Jamie Halder 25 (11-14), Jack Parkinson-Blackburn 15, Luke Whitehead 12, Dan Thompson 12, Joe Thompson 11, Connor Fletcher 10.

The www.jbsportsimages.co.uk sponsored Rider of the Meeting award went to Edward Sturt.