British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Tompy

Berwick V Leicester 18th August

Could not make this meeting yet another injury will Dyer be fit for Wed anybody know ? What about Fisher see Plymouth were using rr tonight ?coming down on Wed night hopefully be lucky charm and we get three points

Congratulating visiting teams on their win at Berwick is becoming a bit of a habit ,and one that would like to break sooner rather than later , but well done to the Lions . As for the Bandits Nick Morris was as reliable as ever as a guest , Bellago had a strange meeting with a dx , a paid win , a win & last but he's a trier and is good to watch , Nicki improved with every ride and should be on the gas on Wed night , Robin did ok , Seb to me needs to find his gating gloves as he's got plenty speed but cant make a gate atm, Micky was fine I hope will be ok ( fingers crossed ), as for Jakobsen all I can say is goodbye and dont let the door hit your arse on the way out . Anways onwards and upwards bring on the Devils

Dyer has suffered a gash to his thigh,hopefully it will not require surgery and he can be back in the team asap,he did well at Somerset and looked good in winning Ht2 last night.

As for Jacobsen,he was worse than last week,he`s losing yards out of the start and never looks like getting close to make a pass thereafter,but giving his average its virtually impossible to find a replacement.Gifted his 1st point last night after Blackbird had fallen,infact Blackbird remounted and had the race gone another lap I think he wouldve passed Jacobsen as he was certainly catching him.

Not another one......in 30 odd years watching speedway, never known as many injurys like the past 18months.

Coincidentally, since they changed the silencers!!

Not another one......in 30 odd years watching speedway, never known as many injurys like the past 18months.

Coincidentally, since they changed the silencers!!

Exactly... Coincidence

Jakobsen was painfully slow last night, and his points have really been gifted to him. But again, who is out there to step in and replace? Micky Dyer is obviously on decent machinery, as proved by Nick Morris when winning heat 6 on his bike, and did look on the pace. Barrett got better as the meeting went on. Great to see Seb battling for points, all to often he has settled for points when slow out of the gate but some great passes last night.

One question, are we continuing the guest policy for Ricky or will we be signing a replacement???

One question, are we continuing the guest policy for Ricky or will we be signing a replacement???

Its sometimes a risk but Id go with guests,though friday at Somerset showed its not always the answer.Nick Morris has been booked again for wednesdays meeting against Plymouth,so in the short term we are in a decent position.The only thing that would change things is if Ashworths injury is a season ending one,then we may need to look for a permanent replacement.

If Rickys injury is indeed a broken shoulder, that is surely season ending? Someone suggested bringing in a couple of seven pointers to replace Ricky and Klaus. Don't know how that fits with numbers but could be a great shout and giving us options for next year. Also would give us David at reserve, not a bad thing at all. Who was the young man Dick Barrie was hyping as someone to see in the demo rides? Also might be worth looking at Max Fricke who scored well on Friday at Edinburgh.

Hopefully Micks injury isnt too bad.

He has just come back from an injury, so wouldnt have had any income for a while.

Really cant believe the injury run that Berwick have had.

Robert is up and about and hopefully we can get to a Berwick meeting soon.

Darrell Branford

• Like 1

Thought Heat 13 was a cracking race possibly 2nd best race of the season.

That aside I thought it was a poor advert for Speedway. Riders really looked to be struggling with the track, free wheeling into the bends, it wasn't enjoyable to watch can't imagine it was fun to ride either.

It struck me last night what a great venue Shiefleld has been turned into. I'm really not sure. I did think crowds were excellent at the start of the season.. Managed to make last night and 4 people who last year were regulars every week, simply just were not there though for differing reasons it begs the question why are people not attending and what do people want?

John seemed very down in his programme notes last night which on one hand I could completely understand however we do have a lot of options for next year not only in terms of riders but also the way we set out our team. Though I wasn't on the tour we finished very well and this new Dane as some of the lads have already spoken about, looked a good prospect. At the back end of 2010 we lost a club legend and our No1 at the tine, with only Jade being the only contracted rider at the time to return the following year. We've had some rotten luck yes but some of our failings have been self inflicted,

We did fight back well in the latter heats but Leicester had done the damage by then, with Magnus Karlsson certainly not looking like the rider who usually drops between 1 and 3 points here on previous visits. What happened in the first 8 heats? what's happened all season? Klaus Jakobsson? it annoys when I hear people telling Klaus to go home with a few expletives being used but he couldn't ride Berwick when he came with former club Stoke, so why was he signed?

It's a crap time for the club and on the injury front look at Newcastle injuries all throughout the season and the unfortunate passing of Ferjan. Look at Newcastle, now? have they signed Ben Barker or Daniel Nermark to do it? No, but they have put out a 7 man team who (have had injuries) but are solid throughout they can cope. We signed one 7 man team and by god had it been given the full 2010 season we would have had our first bit of silverware.. Berwick had some very good riders (by our standards) in the team this year but the league table doesn't lie and again in the domestic season we simply haven't cut it and that is probably as gooder reason as any to why we are not only bottom of the pile but also have our poorest crowds yet.

What do we do about it?

Well I think we have gone about it in the right way signing Nicki he looks a prospect and while he may not be a family friend of the club, he will be here next year. Micky Dyer has also done well for us and on a 3.5 average he'd be a cracking reserve. Maybe Kozza will be back in the fold for 2013?

Concerned!

Edited by RobinH88

hope micky is back soon and all the lads have a better end to the season

One thing that needs to be addressed in speedway these days is the delays regarding injured riders ,I know it is imperitive that that riders get the best possible treatment and attention if injured but the Health and Safety requirments have to be upgraded so that the continuity of the meeting is less effected than it is at most tracks .Delays for paperworks and Doctor avialability really kill the meetings stone dead,it seems unfortunely at Berwick it is a regular occurrance(and other tracks no doubt) Thought I read somewhere that we were trying to get more doctors to attend to try and speed up the meetings should accidents occur.By all means the riders should get the best of attention while injured at trackside but you tend to find that there is a long delay even when they are removed and the County Ambulance arrives . Standing for 21/2 Hours to see 20 minutes of racing is only for the diehards IMO newcomers maybe wont be that impressed. Crowds seem to be dwinding at most venues this season. There does seem to be a lot more injuries all round in the last couple of seasons for whatever reasons.

The fact that as soon as Dick Barrie mentioned the county ambulance has been called, a large number of fans made their way to the exit gate speaks volumes. Injuries cannot be helped, of course, but there is surely a better way of dealing with paperwork, transfers etc without having such an effect on the meeting?

Agree with everything the last two posters have said , but it's all down to costs . Suppose every track keeps things like that to a minimum .

Agree with everything the last two posters have said , but it's all down to costs . Suppose every track keeps things like that to a minimum .

Agree regarding costs ,but at the end of the day what are the real costs regarding people who dont come back again.