Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
21st century heathen

Mildenhall V Dudley Sun 19th Aug 16:30

What a surprise. Heathens fans get slated in detail but the part played by the other side is somewhat glossed over, and Roynon gets a mention even though we didn't track him. :blink: Given the run-up to the meeting it was obvious there would be some tension. Booing Jason Garrity is down to now long-standing banter between him and the Heathens fans. It's pantomime stuff and he revels in it. He plays up to the crowd, especially at Monmore. It's a bit of banter, that's all. The boos for the Mildenhall management are not really a surprise and I'm quite sure Mr Lee and Mr Louis have heard it all before, if not worse 'back in the day' when big biased crowds turned up for speedway, so it's almost certainly water off a ducks back. A Dudley fan had her flag (or flags - not sure) taken down and thrown on the dog track. Two sources report hearing Mr Lee tell a Dudley rider to 'F' off back to where he came from. A Dudley fan reports he was told to 'F' off and called a 'W', and admits he reacted to it.

Will I sit here in judgement and label all Mildenhall fans a disgrace? No, of course not. Should Dudley fans as a collective term be slated to the extent we are? No, of course not. Every club will have a problem with some fans going over the top in one way or another. The whole issue could, and should, have been avoided. Mildenhall should not have changed the start time at late notice following a previous agreement. Dudley should not have backed down once the BSPA ruled in its favour and the having made a ruling the BSPA should have insisted on the earlier start time (if anything both clubs should be fined for not adhering to the BSPA ruling). But none of that excuses the reported behaviour of fans on both sides. I suspect the ill-feeling will rumble on for the rest of the season with a significant chance we'll be meeting again in the latter part of the season, but I sincerely hope that everyone calms down and is able to have enjoyable banter and not let it spill over into an aggressive tone. I believe both clubs now have a duty to help calm the waters and smooth things over a little. Whatever they may feel or say behind closed doors should not necessarily be reflected in public statements.

Now, what I'm really interested in is the racing. Can anyone report on the racing please? I'd be particularly interested to know what people thought of Ritchings and Greenwood and how they coped with riding in the top five.

*edit* I forgot to add that apparently a significant sum (not my place to disclose the actual amount) was donated by the Heathens' fans on the bus to Mildenhall. It will be split evenly between the 7 riders that represented the club yesterday - a gesture I understand the guest riders are surprised by and appreciative of in equal measure. Well done everyone, I was surprised to see the amount raised.

I have no doubt that it was idiots from both sides yesterday. The problem is that Mildenhall are just another club who have an issue with the behaviour of Dudley fans - Rye House have commented here, I have heard a lot of adverse remarks at Plymouth and the least said about Buxton the better.

I wonder why the idiots from other clubs only show up when Dudley are the visitors ?

Which Mildenhall rider would that be?

The only person I saw who went up to him was Robert Branford, who Irving then pushed aside, despite being on crutches himself!

One might suggest that you all purchase the DVD of this meeting that covers all of the incidents that have been mentioned on her, then those involved can be identified and banned from every attending a speedway meeting again, or sent to watch Racing at Newport! Sorry wasps fans, first name that come to me head. DVDs available now!

As for the teams we was also under strength as we was missing Cam and Lewis so they evened each other out.

I don't see how anybody can say that I don't know! Roynon is superior to Cam, yet he was replaced by Irving who did well but is certainly not as good as Garrity for you.

Morris wasn't replaced at all and a 10+ rider in Perry was replaced by a 3.00 rider with no experience at this level. Hardly even teams in my book

EDIT: The rest of you post about how to support your side and not understanding cheering riders falling was spot on though.

Edited by Jonesy the Wolf

To halifaxtiger I've got to say first you are entitled to your say course you are but when there's any anti dudley feeling on here your name nearly always comes up I have been at all the meeting where the said troubles have been and all have always been one sided reports if you think all fans at other clubs are the waltons then you could not be more wrong ! Yes we have our don't like word idiots as this is very umbrella I prefer over enthuiastic fans that go little to far and if the less said about buxton the better y bring it up ! I still feel you are miffed about a run in you had on our wall a couple of years ago about the late kenny carter I didn't agree with what was said to you by what you call our idiots but feel that this. And a few incidents at a FEW matches now makes us umbrella idiots to you which we are not shame really though I will say don't agree with some of our fans behavior yesterday there was lot of winding going on and unless you were at all incidents I would not be to quick to judge from your armchair

The truth behind the 3pm / 4.30pm start time will never fully be explained however much the usual 'internet commandos' drag it up. What is for sure is it is no excuse for the behaviour yesterday!

I have travelled around the country with Mildenhall, and whilst we have some noisey and loud fans I have not witnessed that sort of bad feeling since the days we used to do battle with Newcastle in the early eighties, and at least back then there was humour involved.

Don't get me wrong, in yesterdays atmosphere throwing a Dudley flag on the dog track after the Garrity/Irving incident wasn't very clever and I wouldn't defend it for one moment.

But ... Heat 1 in the mainstand Jacobs slides off at the back, a Dudley supporter with I think 'Bish' on his back cheers loudly whilst throwing the w*****s sign in Jacobs direction ... quality, nice start :blink:

For the first time in 8 years of taking my daughter I need to check on her to see she is ok, she tells me parents where she stood with friends have told a group of Dudley supporters to move away from their children if they cannot contain their foul language, this happens again a little later..... quality again.

I can't comment on bend two's activities so unlike others that were not there I won't, but the likes of Mr Mungo dont blow things out of proportion I know that much.

As I am leaving a friend tells me that he had been speaking to a Dudley fan who was so apologetic of his fellow supporters behaviour, blaming drink as some had been on the booze since the bus left. He said he wished he club would sort them out!!

Now blame 3pm, Roynon not being there, the weather, Michael Lee or whatever, but Pearson and co need to get the house in order quickly. If this is acceptable behaviour then Dudley as a club have a big problem!

The meeting was very enjoyable with plenty of good racing but as Mr Mungo says the atmosphere was not. Irving and Garrity were two fine guests who certainly gave their all and for Dudley Ritchings impressed as well.

BTW Perry was there with his arm in a sling someone said? Is he ok?

• Like 4

Perry didn't have his arm in a sling when he first turned up, but he did have it in a sling later on.

I'd imagine he will be fine for Tuesday, Phil - certainly the impression I got.

Nice post, by the way.

Perry injured in U21 meeting on Friday and doctor ruled him out for 48 hours. Was due to be missing the Mildenhall match anyway as he was scheduled for the European Grasstrack Championship. His injury meant missing that meeting, but he hopes to be back for Tuesday.

All i can say is as a race marshall i was never told this meeting would be any different from our normal start time which is 4.30.

so unsure where the 3 oclock time came from. Maybe i have missed something.

All i want is for people to enjoy speedway without any fear. Maybe there was good and bad on either side but yesterday was the first time i worried about my son at a speedway track glad he was sitting in the bar as he didn't like it and all the people that know me know how much my family love speedway.

Wont say no more about it will move on now.

I suppose you have to look at the common denominator.

So there has never been trouble elsewhere where Dudley weren't involved? Oh hang on, what about when fans were pushing the barriers over at Mildenhall last year to get at the riders - and not a Dudley fan in sight? What selective memories you have!

So there has never been trouble elsewhere where Dudley weren't involved? Oh hang on, what about when fans were pushing the barriers over at Mildenhall last year to get at the riders - and not a Dudley fan in sight? What selective memories you have!

Do things like this really go on?

I s'pose I'm lucky to support a side where the fans seemingly don't give a toss.

Edited by Shadders
  • Like 1

Im also lucky in the fact that the Dudley fans could be giving out awfull abuse and i would never no..........i cant understand that accent :wink:

I would like to opologise to Newport fans, I think those responsible should be madero watch Coventry city, last time this happend there gate was up by 500, amazingly we have 700 letter of apology!!!.. Hope it's a goodun Tuesday.