Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
dantodan

Newcastle V Edinburgh Pl Monday 27th August 2012

The Newcastle v Edinburgh match planned for Sunday 19/08/2012 fell victim of the British summertime weather and was called off before a wheel was turned. So we all went home early and painted our spare rooms etc.

The tie now takes place on Bank Holiday Monday so I hope you have re.membered to keep the rain off tickets . The extra 8 days will give the riders who have been knocked about time to recover.

So? I know it's a bit early but who can we get as guests for the twins?

The Newcastle v Edinburgh match planned for Sunday 19/08/2012 fell victim of the British summertime weather and was called off before a wheel was turned. So we all went home early and painted our spare rooms etc.

The tie now takes place on Bank Holiday Monday so I hope you have re.membered to keep the rain off tickets . The extra 8 days will give the riders who have been knocked about time to recover.

So? I know it's a bit early but who can we get as guests for the twins?

PL Fixtures due that day are: Rye House vs Leicester and Scunthorpe vs Somerset. NL Fixtures are: Scunthorpe vs Isle of Wight and Mildenhall vs Stoke. Rye House due at Brough the week after the BH Monday, but Rye already riding on the BH Monday!

Workington were due to meet Berwick but I believe that has been switched, so we could have Robin Aspegren again, providing he isn't needed in the EL.

I am a bit shocked at the proffessionalism of some riders. They should have known that tonights meeting was a possible non starter so they should all have brought sleeping bags and slept in the pits or if it was a bit cold snuggled in the hay with the resident greyhounds so as to make sure they were on time for next Mondays start :rolleyes:

Given the forecasts on most sites, this fixture was always going to be a rainoff. But in saying that, at the training session at 1.15pm, it didnt rain and when the rain did come it was just light and the track looked great, a nice sprinkle of grip, and holding the rain well. Even getting near the start time. the rain was noway near that forecast, but with the constant drizzle the track eventually had to be stripped to base to try and get it on. Felt sorry for the travelling Monarchs fans and the new fans who had booked through Groupon for this fixture. Pleased to hear that this fixture has been rearranged for Bank Holiday Monday 27th August at our usual time of 6.30pm. The readmission and Groupon tickets are being honoured, although the club I believe does not need to honour the Groupon. Good PR by the club and means another big crowd for a meeting which both clubs seemed intent on putting on tonight with no avail

Edited by Tsunami

Obviously a Senior moment :P -

Bank Holiday Monday is 27th August.

• Like 1

Honouring the Groupon tickets is the ONLY option no matter what the legalities. Any other decision would result in a major falling out with regular fans who availed of the deal.

Honouring the Groupon tickets is the ONLY option no matter what the legalities. Any other decision would result in a major falling out with regular fans who availed of the deal.

Hi Chewbacca

Can you tell us fans who maybe don't read about such things as the Groupon idea what it is an how it works. I apologise if I am the only one who doesn't know about them :neutral:

You sign up at

www.groupon.com

You will 2 emails a day offering deals on stuff where they have negotiated discounts.

For the Diamonds I got an email 3 weeks ago for the Edinburgh meeting.

You have pay online (which I know people don't like) but the discounts are big.

If you bought 4 tickets they are 6 quid each. I think 10 worked out at 4.65.

Be prepared for lots of emails about stuff you don't want mind you!

Hi Chewbacca

Can you tell us fans who maybe don't read about such things as the Groupon idea what it is an how it works. I apologise if I am the only one who doesn't know about them :neutral:

It's a company on line who do daily bargains for a wide range of discounts for everything from meals out, new tyres, hotel breaks to speedway, sports and spas....the Newcastle deal offered massive savings on tickets, the more you bought, the bigger the discount...I think if you bought 10 tickets for last night you saved something like 67%, the lowest discount was something like 24%...well worth signing up for!! And it's free...

Ah me now understand doh! I will tell mrs Dantodan, she likes that sort of thing but hates speedway. Much obliged to have this mystery solved.

Back to speedway, how bad were the knocks Claes and Christian took? Expect them to be back on Monday then? Annoying for me to have to wait another week for the 5 diamonds plus 2 mates to silence the Monarchs fans with an easy win at home to them

Ah me now understand doh! I will tell mrs Dantodan, she likes that sort of thing but hates speedway. Much obliged to have this mystery solved.

Back to speedway, how bad were the knocks Claes and Christian took? Expect them to be back on Monday then? Annoying for me to have to wait another week for the 5 diamonds plus 2 mates to silence the Monarchs fans with an easy win at home to them

God i love your (misplaced) optimism dantodan although this time i think you may be right, unless we can get good guest that is. Dont know who is available i will leave that for the stattos but i can see us losing by 15 at least :cry:

Being an optimistic person I thought Edinburgh may well have had a good chance with a full sttegth team against the current Newcastle team, but not so optimistic now.

It will be interesting to see how this Groupon experiment works out.

It's certainly a good deal for the fans, but is it so great for speedway? Usually as part of the deal, Groupon retain 50% of the money they take.

So four fans get together pay £6 each, which is a superb deal for them. However speedway will get just a net £2.50 each. Now if these fans intended to go anyway, speedway could have nettted a further £10 each. For this type of iniative to succeed it really needs to attract those people who have either never been to speedway before, or who have been lost to the sport....hopefully to return again as full paying customers.

Edited by Pere Ubon
  • Like 1

That first time Newcastle did it the crowd was 3x normal.

Given that the promotion are doing it for a 2nd time it seems they think it makes sense

That first time Newcastle did it the crowd was 3x normal.

Given that the promotion are doing it for a 2nd time it seems they think it makes sense

That's good news. But the income received from three Groupon customers is still £5 less than one full paying adult.

The only real measure is the size of the.crowd for a non Groupon meeting, and how this has increased pre initiative.