British Speedway Forum
Scunny Stag

Scunthorpe Speedway 72nd Amateur Meeting - Classes For All And Now A Youth Class For The Under-8's

Scunthorpe Speedway's 72nd amateur meeting will take place on Saturday 8th September (1pm first race).

There are classes for all standards from raw novice to Premier League reserve whilst there are four youth classes which run if there are entrants. The additional youth class allows riders to ride bikes upto 80cc and opens up the amateur meetings for the under-8s.

Riders can book a place or ask further questions by e-mailing me (richard@scunthorpespeedway.com), contacting me on Facebook (facebook.com/rh1967), or texting/calling 07832-402167. If you call and I am unavailable (e.g. work) please leave a message and I will get back to you at the earliest opportunity.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For anyone who isn't aware our meetings provide at least five programmed rides and everyone gets to ride in a final.

There are trophies for the top three in each class and naturally we have a paramedic, first aiders and ambulance in attendance. Hot drinks will be available and we have RM Race Spares (07403-334582) in attendance.

Riders do not need new silencers or mudguards and can ride on day licenses (with no additional charge).

Positions in all classes will be decided in the finals with every rider qualifying for one. THE WINNER OF EACH FINAL ADVANCES TO THE NEXT. (e.g. Winner of the 'E' Final advances to the 'D' Final etc. etc.).

The Open Class usually sees National League standard riders taking part along with those close to break into that league whilst the Novice Class includes riders from complete beginners to those who can usually get a full slide on. The Support Class is now seen as an intermediate class where riders can challenge themselves against better riders without making the full step up to the Open Class.

Summer Championship points are scored in the following manner: 16 points for 1st, 15 for 2nd etc down to 1 point for 16th (although that would be increased for all rounds if we had more than 16 riders for a class on one day). At the moment we are expecting five of the summer dates to be for the Summer Championship and riders will be able to drop one round for the championship so if all five rounds run then top four will count. If only four rounds run then it will be top three etc. etc. However, only riders who compete in the maximum number of rounds (four out of five or three out of four etc. will be eligible for championship trophies)

Helmet colours are required but can be borrowed (please give advance notice if possible) whilst dirt deflectors are compulsory on all speedway bikes except in the Novice and Youth 125s classes. If anyone has any questions then please just let me know.

Amateur meeting dates already set are:

Saturday 8th September (Summer Championship)

Sunday 7th October (Summer)

Saturday 10th November (Winter Series)

Saturday 8th December (Winter)

Saturday 5th January (Winter)

Saturday 26th January (Winter)

Saturday 16th February (Winter)

Saturday 8th March (provisional) (Winter)

Bookings so far with ten days to go:

Open Class:

Tommy Fenwick, David Lidgett, Andrew Blackburn, David Holt, Gary O'Hare, Arron Mogridge, Henning Loof, Steven Jones, Lee Springthorpe, Adam Kirby, James Cartmell, John MacPhail, Ross Walter, Shaun Tedham, James McBain, Tyson Snow, Ryan Douglas, Adam Briggs

Support Class:

Nathan Clare, Sean Phillips, Simon Pearce, Trevor Bebbington, Martin Pearce, Ryan Macdonald, Glyn Edwards, John Markham, Glyn Picken, Jay Atkinson

Novice Class:

Derek Holt, Ivan Howarth, Wayne Gosling, Hannah Kirtley-Paine, Haydon Ball, Maureen Douglas, Francesca Kirtley-Paine, Callum Harris

Y250:

Kean Dicken, Dan Miles, Mitchell Beckett, Joe Lawlor

Y125:

Ben Woodhull, Luke Woodhull, Macauley Leek, Connor Fletcher, Dan Thompson, Joe Thompson

Y80:

Liam Cox, Luthais Douglas, Jolyon West

Edited by Scunny Stag

Snow cleans up as youth come out in force

17-year old Australian Tyson Snow was the dominant force in Saturday’s amateur meetings at Scunthorpe’s Eddie Wright Raceway as he relegated Summer Championship leader, Steven Jones, and the 2009 and 2010 champion, Gary O’Hare, to the minor podium placings. However, the most pleasing aspect of the meeting was the number of junior entries. 16 youth riders rode in three classes with Lewis Whitmore, Luke Woodhull and Liam Carr being class winners.

In the other adult classes it was Glyn Edwards who won the Support Class ahead of the Pearce brothers (Martin and Simon) whilst the Novice Class saw Callum Harris, Jimmy Culbert and Ivan Howarth fill the first three places.

Sadly one rider, Jay Atkinson, did break his foot on his debut at the track and the Cumbrian rider had it operated on yesterday. The delay did mean the finals weren’t raced but after the meeting organiser, Richard Hollingsworth, declared the meeting another success. “We had forty riders and fifty-six races so that has to be good. It was great that the medical staff and the volunteers were able to stay that bit longer so we could get to the end of qualifying. That was really appreciated.

“To have so many youth riders ,especially the day before a British Championship round, was really impressive and was definitely a record. We even had a couple of real youngsters in the new 80cc class. They had to do three laps but it is great to keep attracting new kids to race. They are the future of the sport and the way the numbers have gradually increased over the last couple of years it can only be good for the sport.

“With the British Youth rounds completed today (see separate press release tomorrow) then perhaps we might even get one or two more next month. As for the adult classes it is also great to see some new faces. We had three strong classes on Saturday and new winners in each one”.

“The next round is on Sunday 7th October and will see the Summer Championship titles awarded. Anyone wanting to ride can book in by contacting Richard Hollingsworth on 07832-402167.

Results

Open Class:

Qualifying scores: Tyson Snow 15, Steven Jones 14, Gary O’Hare 10, Arron Mogridge 8, Henning Loof 7, Tommy Fenwick 5 (3 rides), Andrew Blackburn 5, David Lidgett 2.

Summer Championship points: Tyson Snow 16, Steven Jones 15, Gary O’Hare 14, Arron Mogridge 13, Henning Loof 12, Tommy Fenwick 11, Andrew Blackburn 10, David Lidgett 9.

Summer Championship standings (after four of five rounds, one round can be dropped): Steve Jones 47 (16-16-15), Henning Loof 43 (12-13-6-12), Gary O’Hare 42 (15-13-14), Andrew Blackburn 40 (11-12-7-10), David Holt 34 (13-10-11), Arron Mogridge 31 (9-9-13), Tommy Fenwick 26 (15-11), David Lidgett 20 (11-9), Jerran Hart 16, Tyson Snow 16, Darryl Ritchings 15, Daniel Phillips 14, Jake Knight 14, Benji Compton 14, Shaun Tedham 12, Connor Coles 10, Rob Finlow 8, Adam Kirby 8.

Support Class:

Qualifying scores: Glyn Edwards 12, Martin Pearce 10, Simon Pearce 10, Wayne Gosling 8, John Markham 6, Nathan Clare 6, Jay Atkinson 1 (four rides), Glyn Picken 0 (2 rides)

Summer Championship points: Glyn Edwards 16, Martin Pearce 15, Simon Pearce 14, Wayne Gosling 13, John Markham 12, Nathan Clare 11, Jay Atkinson 10, Glyn Picken 9

Summer Championship standings (after four of five rounds, one round can be dropped): Simon Pearce 55 (12-14-15-14), Martin Pearce 44 (13-16-15), Lee Springthorpe 29 (15-14), Trevor Bebbington 22 (11-11), Sean Phillips 21 (9-12), Sam Darroch 20 (10-10), Arron Mogridge 16, Martin Wrathall 16, Glyn Edwards 16, Rachel Hellowell 14, Simon Bence 13, Wayne Gosling 13, John Markham 12, Nathan Clare 11, Jay Atkinson 10, Kenny Blain 9, Glyn Picken 9.

Novice Class:

Qualifying Scores: Callum Harris 14, Jimmy Culbert 12, Ivan Howarth 11, Haydon Ball 10, Francesca Kirtley-Paine 6, Hannah Kirtley-Paine 3, Maureen Douglas 2, Derek Holt 2 (3 rides).

Summer Championship points: Callum Harris 16, Jimmy Culbert 15, Ivan Howarth 14, Haydon Ball 13, Francesca Kirtley-Paine 12, Hannah Kirtley-Paine 11, Maureen Douglas 10, Derek Holt 9.

Summer Championship standings (after four of five rounds, one round can be dropped): Ivan Howarth 52 (12-12-14-11), Kevin Keay 46 (16-14-16), Wayne Gosling 45 (15-15-15), Derek Holt 38 (9-11-9-9), Marty Rathbone 26 (13-13), Haydon Ball 23 (10-13), Greg Gosling 21 (11-10), Hannah Kirtley-Paine 21 (10-11), Nathan Clare 16, Callum Harris 16, Jimmy Culbert 15, Mick Keeling 14, Edward Sturt 13, Alan Hadlington 12, Francesca Kirtley-Paine 12, Kevin Hadlington 11, Maureen Douglas 10, Lee Baldwin 9, Anthony Mulrine 8, Lee Coates 8, Gary Krelle 8.

Youth 250cc Class:

Qualifying scores: Lewis Whitmore 14, Joe Lawlor 13, Kean Dicken 6, Mitchell Beckett 5, Dan Miles 3.

Summer Championship points: Lewis Whitmore 16, Joe Lawlor 15, Kean Dicken 14, Mitchell Beckett 13, Dan Miles 12.

Summer Championship standings (after three of five rounds, one round can be dropped): Dan Miles 43 (16-15-12), Mitchell Beckett 29 (16-13), Lewis Whitmore 16, Joe Lawlor 15, Bradley Seal 14, Kean Dicken 14.

Youth 125cc Class:

Qualifying scores: Luke Woodhull 15, Ben Woodhull 13, Macauley Leek 13, Jolyon West 9, Jamie Halder 8, Joe Thompson 5, Sam Stead 5, Connor Fletcher 3, Dan Thompson 1.

Summer Championship points: Luke Woodhull 16, Ben Woodhull 15, Macauley Leek 14, Jolyon West 13, Jamie Halder 12, Joe Thompson 11, Sam Stead 10, Connor Fletcher 9, Dan Thompson 8.

Summer Championship standings (after four of five rounds, one round can be dropped): Ben Woodhull 47 (16-16-15), Luke Woodhull 45 (14-15-16), Macauley Leek 40 (13-13-14), Jamie Halder 37 (11-14-12), Joe Thompson 22 (11-11), Dan Thompson 20 (12-8), Connor Fletcher 19 (10-9), Jack Parkinson-Blackburn 15, Jolyon West 13, Luke Whitehead 12, Sam Stead 10.

Youth 80cc Class:

Qualifying scores: Liam Cox 15, Luthais Douglas 8.

The www.jbsportsimages.co.uk sponsored Rider of the Meeting award went to Haydon Ball.

Amateur Meeting Number 72

Saturday September 8th 2012

The Elastic Band Broke – and kept on breaking

It’s been a long time since I made my way to the Eddie Wright Speedway play ground. You can forget all about speedway quite easily. You don’t go for a long time, the thought recedes to the back of your mind, time passes by and once again it’s years since you have been.

I have Sunday and Monday off, this meeting was on Saturday, so I thought I’d go there and reacquaint myself with what speedway is, or what I thought it was. Having not been for at least 6 months, it always takes a lot of motivation to hit the road. The weather forecast said the sun would be shining it would be a brilliant day. I was hoping it would be and we would soon find out.

I was going to e mail Richard I was coming, that I would be bringing rain and a cold wind, because otherwise, I wouldn’t feel at home. It was a sunny day on Friday when I thought that thought. I thought it would be a good idea to have a laugh. Not a problem when the weather forecast said it was going to be a wonderful day on Saturday. Just as I sat down to write that email an ominous black cloud appeared overhead, I changed my mind about that e mail after all we didn’t want to tempt fate, did we?

It was a steady drive down, no rush to get there, a meal along the way, to set me up for the day and it was a good job I did. The coffee bar was closed, so there was no chance of a sausage sandwich today. It was a good job I brought my flask of coffee and sandwiches with me, wasn’t it!!!!!

Eventually I arrived, driving down the final bumpy few yards into the stadium car park. I noticed the gate was closed. Could it be the day’s meeting wasn’t going to be on? Had I driven all this way for nothing? I realized one gate was closed the other one open, a deft trick or is that daft, to confuse an old man, unsure in which direction he was heading. There were vehicles there, signs of life, people in the car park, glancing my way, looks on their faces saying, who are you? It was great to be alive and at the Eddie Wright Speedway playground once again

I thought I ought to go and get myself a program of the day’s events. I knew there would be over 60 races to be run, there always is. People were queuing, at the office to sign in. A lady stood at the head of the line saying she’d forgotten her highlighters. I checked to see if I had brought mine.

I waited patiently in the queue. Richard was sat there, oblivious to my presence, showing off his knobbly knees, a tribute to the shining sun. Then all of a sudden he spotted me, welcomed me home like the prodigal son. He didn’t have a fatted calf for me, or a sausage sandwich already cooked and wrapped up in a lovely bread bun. No he had none of this for me, what he did have was a program and when I asked him if he needed assistance this day, I knew he would have a red flag with my name written on it.

The track it looked very wet to my age old practiced eye. It looked like a mud swamp a lumpy gritty mud pie. I was sure that the sun that was shining would soon dry it all out. Also as my aged limbs now ache a lot, I found myself a chair that I could sit upon. The days are done when I can stand up on that centre green, for hours on end freezing my whatnots’ off.

I sat there for quite awhile, and then a little while longer, I was waiting for the meeting to start, for as you know, the absence of speedway in my life, makes me all the more fonder for it to begin. The clock, and time itself ticked by and eventually you wonder why, at 15 past the hour of one, the meeting wasn’t underway. More to the point there was something missing, that something, all good flag wavers rely upon and that is a good red flag to hold in your hand, to wave the passing riders by, in case one of them fall off.

It was obvious something was amiss as Richard stood pensive at the gate. “Oy Richard,” shouted little old me, “where’s my flag mate without it I am redundant and I might as well not have come.”

Struck by that indisputable logic, and the fact no one else had a flag to wave either, Richard bolted into the pits like a mighty steed, soon returning with a handful of flags said, “here they are take your pick”. I said, “Even though it appears standards are slipping Richard, it’s a no contest mate, it’s a red flag for me.”

Finally and at long last the meeting began, with heat four, don’t ask me why, but I knew though, the young men riding weren’t those I thought they were, I did think this was a new way of organizing a meeting , to make it more exciting.

The young lads out first got to grips with the track, those who followed ended up in a heap on the first bend. The track was greasy but it wouldn’t be long before clouds of dust would rise up and those lads were back on their bikes again.

There are those who ride each time I come, some there simply for fun. There is the older end, someone told me there was a man, aged 66, there come all the way from Edinburgh just to get to grips with that greasy track.

Some of the racing can be monotonous, other races can be thrilling and there are those that can be downright boring. All ages come there to learn the trade and to see what they can do. There is a place there for you, if you want to have a go. There is always room for new blood at the Eddie Wright speedway playground.

I met an old trouper there who paints pictures of speedway with his camera and his paint brush. It had been a long time since I last saw him and it it’s always a pleasure to reacquaint myself with this speedway artist. We compared notes on physical ailments and realized then each time we met we were a little bit older. Good job it was a warm day for I am sure we’d freeze if the weather were colder.

There also was the master of track maintenance, the owner of the track, riding round on his grading machine. He drove the water truck to spray on the track when the dust began to rise once again. It took so long that I thought he ought to drive it through the fence on the fourth bend, just for old times’ sake. As he did once before when he lost his way on the track he owned.

Once the racing got underway, you would have thought things would run smoothly and we would get through the scheduled 67 races in the 4 hours allotted. It was then that the elastic band broke. How did I know the elastic band was broke? A voice from the starting line, in the direction of Richard shouted, “The elastic has broken.” That’s how I knew, little old perceptive me.

“Where is the elastic,” shouted a plaintive voice across the dusty track? There didn’t seem to be an answer till someone shouted back, “in the box.” I expected someone to shout back, “in which box?”

I was going to shout back, “The one in the cupboard in a house far away, you’ll have to send someone to fetch it and hope they get back with it today.” I didn’t of course because that would have been stretching incredulity to stretching point. Tee Hee !!!!!

The racing resumed and as I said to the man, whose name I always look for, when Richard posts the names, of those riding that day. “I always look for your name, said I to Gary O’Hare, “for when you are there I always know I will see some top class racing, before the day is through.”

The problem of Gary, of course is, as he himself pointed out, because he was a former rider, everyone there saw him as someone they had to beat. Nice for those who stand on the side and watch the day go by. Not for those who have to ride against those who have something to prove. All the more incredible when you realize, has Gary said to me, “I only ride once a month, sometimes it’s hard to get into the groove, the way I would like to do.”

There was impressive riding from Henning Loof and Tyson Snow. Being able to see that kind of riding makes it all worthwhile travelling the 60 miles I have to do, to get to see these men at work. I still can’t get my head round the fact that local people aren’t queuing up to help out at the track. If Halifax had been round the corner from me when their track was open and they were running meetings like these, I would be biting their hand off to let me help out.

Then that race came around when there was a bad crash on the first bend. A rider came off and according to the way people were rushing around, it seemed to me the rider concerned had his foot trapped, somewhere in the bike. There was a lengthy delay before they were taken into ambulance.

Time had moved on at this point and I had to leave at 5pm. They had to send for an ambulance from the hospital. I decided to leave as it was 4:30 pm and I knew by the time they restarted the meeting, I would have to go any way.

As always I was glad I had moved my aching bones, out of the familiar, to reacquaint myself with this sport of ours. There is always someone there to reminisce about what had gone before. Better we agreed to have something to talk about other than the hot topics of today. These days it seems the same old topics are recycled over and over again, giving the impression speedway is a sport going nowhere, except to where it has already been. It’s a circular thing, if you see what I mean.

As Richard says, it is good to see new young faces appearing at the track. There is always hope for the future when they turn up. There may even be those who criticize the fact there were 2 young children there riding round the track. They could not have been more than 5 or 6 years old riding round on their very tiny bikes. The announcer was almost apologizing that they were riding 4 laps. Though it didn’t matter to me, they were, as it gave me a chance to sit down, have a sandwich, drink my coffee and ease my aching bones. You never know we could have been looking at a new world champion, in embryo.

I had to go, don’t know when I will return it must have been over 6 months since I last saw some speedway racing. In that time, as we all know the elastic band has broken in speedway in so many ways and for one it has broken permanently and for all of us, none of it will be the same again.

I drove past the ambulance as I was leaving the track. I could see they were transferring the unfortunate rider, to the ambulance that had come from the hospital. I hope all is well and the injury is not bad and the rider will return to ride again. Meanwhile I returned to the mundane all those things that prevent people from doing what they like to do most. I will be there again one day, don’t know when that will be, at the place that gives me the opportunity to breathe the air around the sport I love and always will.

Audio version

Edited by Mr. Clemens
  • Like 2

Brilliant mr Clemens , I enjoyed our chat and after you went I finished with a race win ( finally).. Look forward to seeing you again and reading your meeting report.. Bye for now . Gary.

Nice to see you on form again Mr C. About that sausage sandwich.........

Dave

Brilliant!! :t:

Cheers Montie glad you liked it

Brilliant mr Clemens , I enjoyed our chat and after you went I finished with a race win ( finally).. Look forward to seeing you again and reading your meeting report.. Bye for now . Gary.

Sorry I missed that race Gary - glad you made it in the end. Hope to see you again soon take care

Nice to see you on form again Mr C. About that sausage sandwich.........

Dave

Yep that sausage sandwich - it leaves a sour taste in your mouth - well at least it would have done if the shop had have been open tee hee ;)

One of these days I will have to do some red flagging at Newcastle and do a report about your place. We can always dream

Take care Dave

Good write up from Mr C. Said it before but Richard & Anne Holly work like trojans at these meets. They are not exactly lazy with the Stags, Saints and Scorps either but I suspect the Scunny amateur scene is their slight favouite....

• Like 1

Great write up Mr C!! Just to clarify a couple of things :) We started with what I termed heat 0A not 4 lol. For the first time I had to completely rework all the heats for one class before we started (hence the delayed start). There were 3 additional heats which I added an 'A' to.

The bumpy entrance to the stadium should have been less so because it has been tarmacced all the way down to the pits gate and the Youth 80s did only 3 laps (although there was confusion prior to the first race because we'd not thought that four laps might be too many).

Thank you very much for your help and hope it isn't six months before you come see us again. you certainly aren't compelled to stand out there for the duration :)

Take care,

Richard

• Like 1

I don't mind standing there for the duration Richard.

The way I see it is - If I am going to die somewhere

It might as well be on the centre green at Sunny Scunny than anywhere else :lol:

Hope to see you sooner than later

After I posted it Gary - it did strike me that there might be a lot of paperwork involved

So perhaps not ;)

• Like 1