British Speedway Forum
TonyMac

Issue 51

Issue 51 is out now and includes . . .

ZENON PLECH

He was the greatest Polish rider of the Backtrack era and in terms of popularity Zenon Plech is still the one many of his countrymen and fans from all over the speedway world remember with most affection. Tony McDonald witnessed Plechy’s heart-stopping antics at Hackney and recently visited Gdansk to get the most in-depth interview ever given by one of his old heroes.

Quote from Zenon:

“I was living in a communist country and I was lucky enough to be able to go to England and many other countries. Speedway changed my life.”

Poland is now a powerful force in world speedway but, as JOHN BERRY explained, this was far from the case in the 70s and 80s when their riders were largely denied entry to the West.

JENS RASMUSSEN

Danish international Jens Rasmussen made history and caused a stir when he joined National League Rye House. Rob Peasley catches up with a no-nonsense rider who also enjoyed a trophy-winning spell with British League giants Oxford but put team success before personal glory.

Quote from Jens:

“The BSPA and Speedway Control Board could have been clever. They could have said: ‘Look, Jens is all right, because he lives here, he has an English wife and daughter, but anyone who doesn’t meet those things, can’t ride in the National League’. It would have stopped the National League being bombarded with foreign riders, which is eventually what happened.”

COLIN COOK

Small but big on bravery and with the heart of a lion, Colin Cook never knew when to give up. Martin Neal spoke to the spectacular former Ipswich, Scunthorpe, Boston, Leicester and Exeter rider to find out what made him tick.

Quote from Colin:

“I was a bit disappointed not to stay in the British League but I got stuck in. Some riders went for you because you’d been in the top division. But if they can’t take it, they shouldn’t be riding. If someone wanted to shove me, then I’d shove them back.”

TERRY RUSSELL

He famously brokered the Sky TV deal, introduced air fences, paved the way for the Cardiff GP and has secured the future of more tracks than anyone else in recent history, so no wonder former BSPA president Terry Russell is regarded by many as the most powerful man in speedway. Tony McDonald visited a fellow Cockney who has come a long way since he rescued Crayford and kept Hackney going in the early 80s.

Quote from Terry:

“The gangster bit probably came from the shooting of George Rolls when he was part of the Hackney promotion in 1991. I’ve heard about the so-called connection to gangsters and ‘the underworld’ before but I think it just goes with having me having an East End accent. I’m from East London and the fact is that’s where the Krays happen to come from, too. And then there’s also the fact that I have a brother called Ronnie. There can’t be anything more to it than that, because I’ve never been to prison and I don’t think I can be termed a gangster! It’s a myth.”

CARL STONEHEWER

He made history as the first second division rider to compete in the GP series but, as Richard Bott recalls, it was as a 17-yearold rookie at Belle Vue in the late 80s where Carl Stonehewer’s remarkable story began.

Quote from Carl:

“I got on really well with Joe Screen. I had grown up with him in schoolboy grass-track and when we were in the Belle Vue team we used to travel together to away meetings. At the time he lived about half-a-mile from our house in Denton and we did loads of stuff together. We went to the gym, rode mountain bikes, travelled to meetings . . . but always ended up in a pub.”

VIKTOR KUZNETSOV

Russia’s recent renaissance is far removed from the struggles of the 80s. Vitek Formanek spoke to the rider who did most to keep the Soviet flag flying high during that barren period.

Quote from Viktor:

“We had two or three engines for all the riders in the national team. I am sure that had I been born 10 years later and was able to earn money in Poland or England and afford engine tuners, I could have been a better rider at the highest level.”

AND ANOTHER THING . . .

Cleared in court, but Darcy Ward was clearly guilty of bringing speedway’s family image into disrepute. JOHN BERRY asks why the sport’s authorities have not taken action against the Australia and Poole star in the same way several top riders were charged following the Sunday People ‘sting’ back in 1984.

This was John’s last contribution to Backtrack before his sad death on August 3, 2012.

SPEEDWAY ART

Programme boards have been such an important personal accessory for the fan on the terraces that many diehard supporters would feel naked without them. We take a peek at some of the more colourful and artistic designs that caught our eye.

SCOTTISH OPEN LICENCE TRACKS

Open licences were very much part of the speedway scene in the 60s and 70s but just like rosettes and car stickers, they have long faded from sight. Doug Nicolson re-visits two Scottish venues, Newtongrange and Motherwell, that didn’t make league status.

Plus . . .

Q&As with Sam Nikolajsen, Peter Tarrant and Steve Crockett and your letters.

To order this issue or subscribe for £20 for one year in the UK, go to:

http://www.retro-speedway.com