British Speedway Forum

Issue 18 of our quarterly mag is out now and includes . . .

OVE FUNDIN INTERVIEW

With five world titles and 11 rostrum placings from 15 World Final appearances, Ove Fundin is a living legend. But as the Swedish superstar tells Classic Speedway’s Tony McDonald, he had his faults too.

Quotes from Ove:

“I never rode on the outside, I was always too scared to go out there. I don’t think I ever passed anyone on the outside.”

“I wish I could go back to the 1957 World Final and change the outcome of the run-off for the world title in my favour. I thought I was robbed that night because I still believe that Barry knocked me off, although he will give you a different version.”

“Some people say that it was easier to win the world title in our day because we only had to do the one meeting. But it’s the other way around – we had to qualify.”

SEEING STARS

Ove Fundin, Olle Nygren Terry Betts and Trevor Hedge, four former Norwich favourites, are all backing the latest bid to revive speedway in the Norfolk city. Read their views on next year’s proposed launch at the Norfolk Showground.

LEGEND: GRAHAM WARREN

The first new superstar of the post-war boom and an overnight sensation with Birmingham, John Chaplin was awestruck when he first met Graham Warren and remains a huge admirer of the one and only Blond Bombshell.

GUY ALLOTT INTERVIEW

The Allotts are steeped in speedway, with five different family members spanning three generations having ridden. The best known to our readers will be Guy Allott who, as Philip Dalling recalls, also enjoys a fine reputation as one of the sport’s leading engine tuners.

COLIN McKEE Q&A

New Zealand-born Colin recalls the highs and lows of his career, which included spells with Hackney (1963 & 1967), Oxford (1964), Sunderland (1964), Wolverhampton (1964), Edinburgh (1965), Poole (1966) and Halifax (1970).

JOHN BERRY

Tribute to the greatest promoter of his generation, who died at his home in Perth, Western Australia, on August 3, 2012. With his friend Joe Thurley, Berry moved in at Ipswich in 1969 and transformed a club with a chequered past into one of the finest British League teams of the 70s and 80s.

CHRIS BAILEY

He won league titles in both of his first two seasons with Belle Vue Colts and did the double at Hyde Road in the second year. He is in the speedway history books, too, but times soon got tougher for Chris Bailey, talking here to Tracy Holmes.

PETER CRAVEN POSTER

Half a century after winning his second world title, the late, great Peter Craven is still having a positive effect on the sport. Long-time supporter Keith Thompson with his memories of the ‘Wizard of Balance’ and how to obtain a replica poster from the 1962 World Final.

FREE GLOSSY 6x4 INCH PRINT OF BARRY BRIGGS

Every subscriber received a quality, glossy photo of the mighty Briggo with this issue, so why don’t you sign up to Classic Speedway mag today!

To order this issue or to subscribe for one year in the UK for just £14, go to:

http://www.retro-speedway.com

Cracking read as usual. I was (perhaps unsurprisingly) very interested in the Q & A with Colin McKee, a Member of the Sunderland 'Saints' 1964 Team.. :approve: :approve: